Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Latin revision

I learned Latin at school for two years before switching to modern languages, and want to get up to speed so I can enjoy some of the classics alongside a modern translation. My husband also studied Latin, to a higher level but has forgotten even more than I have.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a self teaching book?
piperclassique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:19 PM   #2
kalwisti
Enthusiast
kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Bonsoir, piperclassique,

I have a suggestion for you -- with a caveat -- because the Latin textbooks I'm familiar with are published in English, and you and your husband would be more comfortable with something in French, I'm sure.

Nevertheless, the classic textbook I recommend without hesitation is Wheelock's Latin (now in its 7th ed.), which I used many years ago:

Wheelock, Frederic M. (1902-1987) and Richard A. LaFleur. Wheelock's Latin. 7th ed. Collins Reference, 2011. 608 p.
ISBN 9780061997211

The book includes an Answer Key.

It was first published in 1956, and can be used as an introductory self-study Latin textbook, or for review. Its basic premise is that the best way to learn classical Latin is to read ancient authors as soon as possible.

From the beginning of the book, Wheelock includes selections from ancient authors, the "Sententiae Antiquae", which present sources of classical wisdom with accompanying translation exercises.

Some (greatly simplified) examples from Chapter 1 can be found here:

https://www.memrise.com/course/11502...sh-to-latin/1/

==========

If you're interested, there is a companion Reader available. However, you do not need to purchase it in order to use the main Textbook listed above.

LaFleur, Richard A. Wheelock's Latin reader : selections from Latin literature. 2nd ed. Collins Reference, 2001. 448 p.
ISBN 9780060935061

HTH et Bonam fortunam!

Last edited by kalwisti; 05-07-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Corrected typo; edit for clarity.
kalwisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2019, 03:00 AM   #3
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you very much. English is in fact my first language, so that should work very well for us.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:49 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The standard adult learner's text used in Britain is "Reading Latin", by Peter Jones and Keith Sidwell. This is in two volumes designed to be used side by side:

Reading Latin: Grammar and Exercises

and

Reading Latin: Text and Vocabulary

There's also a separate volume for people learning independently rather than being taught:

An Independent Study Guide to Reading Latin

There are the books I used when I learnt Latin with the Open University, and I thoroughly recommend them. They are written specifically for adult learners.

All are available as ebooks but I'd honestly recommend the paper versions; they're far easier to use for this kind of thing!

There's an equivalent set of books for ancient Greek, which I also studied with the OU. It's equally good.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-10-2019 at 04:53 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:11 PM   #5
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

I got the set of 'Reading Latin " Now I just need to work out how to hold about half a ton of paper book.
Looks like a table will have to be involved. Thanks for advice, and my new project.
Advert
Old 05-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Definitely books to use at a table rather than holding them .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote