Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 07-07-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
FlyHero
Member Retired
FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: N/A
Can someone who has had other common devices compare and contrast?

I have always had an eye on Tolino but its not so available in my area. After disappointments with new Kindle and Kobo offerings I am looking again.
I'd like to hear about the reading experience from people who have had Kindles/Kobos so we have a common frame of reference.

I am not interested in "features" as I don't use stores, syncing, sharing, wifi etc, collections or whatever. I care mostly about the clarity of the display/letters. Light background and dark black fonts are a must and that is WITHOUT a light on. Good font adjustibility is a must as well, size, weighting etc. Would be nice to not have laggy touch responses too like Kobo. I would also like to move up from a 6" to a 7-8" device. All input welcome.
FlyHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #2
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Kobos offer the best adjustability of fonts, in size and weight, you won't find anything better. And they have the lightest background from my experience. Normally, they also react fast.
Tolinos only have very basic functions and you can only adjust the font size.
Maybe you could try the Kobo Aura H2O2 with a 7" screen.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T335 mit Tapatalk
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
FlyHero
Member Retired
FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
Kobos offer the best adjustability of fonts, in size and weight, you won't find anything better. And they have the lightest background from my experience. Normally, they also react fast.
Maybe you could try the Kobo Aura H2O2 with a 7" screen.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T335 mit Tapatalk
I have an H202 right now I am about to return. The screen is darker than an 8yo Kindle. It's a brownish/greenish grey rather than a whitish grey like the kindle. Nooks I have seen are all like this too. I also find myself having to tap again very often...and it takes ages for a respone quite often for menus etc. To load a book from the home screen it takes 5-6 seconds. It's instant on the ancient Kindle.

Are you saying the Tolinos are even darker (without the light) than Kobos in your first hand experience? They look lighter in reviews but photos/videos are deceiving.

Last edited by FlyHero; 07-07-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Which firmware are you running? How many books are on your device?

I've found older Tolino models much slower and less convenient to use than Kobos or Kindles. My Kobo Clara HD opens a book in 2-3 seconds max.
The Tolino Shine 3 and the Kobo Clara HD are the same device, as far as technical components are concerned. It might have the same speed.

Moreover, all screens look kind of grey if you don't turn the light on. It's hard to say which device has a lighter screen without a direct comparison. If I use my Kobo in bright daylight, I don't see a big difference with the light on or off. My boyfriend uses the Tolino Epos and Vision 4HD. Both have a kind of greenish comfort light, whereas my Kobo Clara has a nice orangey-yellow tint.
Is there a specific reason why you don't want to use the light?
Old 07-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
FlyHero
Member Retired

Quote:
Which firmware are you running? How many books are on your device?

I've found older Tolino models much slower and less convenient to use than Kobos or Kindles. My Kobo Clara HD opens a book in 2-3 seconds max.
The Tolino Shine 3 and the Kobo Clara HD are the same device, as far as technical components are concerned. It might have the same speed.

Moreover, all screens look kind of grey if you don't turn the light on. It's hard to say which device has a lighter screen without a direct comparison. If I use my Kobo in bright daylight, I don't see a big difference with the light on or off. My boyfriend uses the Tolino Epos and Vision 4HD. Both have a kind of greenish comfort light, whereas my Kobo Clara has a nice orangey-yellow tint.
Is there a specific reason why you don't want to use the light?
Don't know on the firmware, dont have device in hands right now but will check. It has 6 books on it as I just got it to test a week ago so it can't be indexing/overloading. My old Kindle has a very light grey display....perfect. All modern readers I have tried are more of a darker brown/green grey and very noticably so. That results for me in less contrast with the lettering no matter the resolution/ppi.

I have eyestrain with LED lighting regardless of if it's backlit (which is far worse) or not. I prefer natural light or overhead incandescent/halogen light. LED frontlights always look off to me as well...it's never as flat looking as an un-lit screen. There is always a glow/color effects I don't like.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:20 AM   #6
LucyOne
Librocubicularist

Then you should hold on to your old Kindle. I don't think one of the Tolinos will be an improvement.
If the Kobo is so sluggish, there might be something wrong with it.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:55 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Older Tolinos ran Android and could be hacked. After hacking you can install better reading apps.

I haven't looked at the possibility to hack one for quite a long time, and most of resources seem to be in German, anyway ...

If hacking, jailbreaking, rooting and general tinkering is your thing, have a look at how hard it is to hack the model you want to buy.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #8
nystagmus
Connoisseur
nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Boox Max Lumi 2, Kobo Forma, Topjoy Butterfly E601
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Older Tolinos ran Android and could be hacked. After hacking you can install better reading apps.

I haven't looked at the possibility to hack one for quite a long time, and most of resources seem to be in German, anyway ...

If hacking, jailbreaking, rooting and general tinkering is your thing, have a look at how hard it is to hack the model you want to buy.
Hi,
you can hack the recent tolinos too (all tolinos acutally), I have a tolino shine 3. you can find the instructions here; it takes about 15 minutes.

https://allesebook.de/anleitung/toli...-video-978782/

I changed some of the recommended apps from the guide;

Button Savior instead of onetoucher

simple eink launcher from here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320940

there is an eink launcher with a combined filemanager (fdroid)

f-droid as app store

for browsing naked browser is the best, the download function works fine, you just have to rename the downloaded file to *.apk
the can get the apk from the homepage
http://nakedbrowser.com/android/

lighting browser (f-droid) has increase contrast setting, but i am not very convinced. Download does not work for me.

Videos do not work

koreader works fine after the last update, older version would not refresh pages. This update made me buy this device again, as I had one before it. Props the developers!

Moonreader works too, try to reducing animation and bling bling

Libera (fdroid) works also fine

does any one know any good epub reader for arabic? the rendering is fine (not in koreader) but the text alignment ist not, but is is only a mild inconvinience.

Last edited by nystagmus; 07-10-2019 at 07:52 AM.
nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystagmus View Post
koreader works fine after the last update, ...
Moonreader works too, ...
Libera (fdroid) works also fine
Try Alreader 1.77
http://www.alreader.com/downloads.php?lang=en
I recommend this version because it has back button in the menu (it is the Alreader icon, top left) that lets you to return to previous menu, so you do not have to install Button Savior or onetoucher for the back button.
It can be set to black and white, even has an e-ink setting in the menu. You can export the settings and beckup them in a file or transfer to a different device.

On my Android e-ink device I use a bare-bones launcher (Nook Touch Launcher), start Alreader after boot using the lanucher and after that I do not need anything else to read. I do not even have an app for buttons emulation. I only very rarely run other apps.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #10
nystagmus
Connoisseur
nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Boox Max Lumi 2, Kobo Forma, Topjoy Butterfly E601
thank your for recommedning Alreader2, it has a better support for RTL.
nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote