Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #76
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
No - the USB-C port layout is for commercial purposes only.
OK, I'll bite. What is the commercial purpose?
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:40 PM   #77
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
USB-C made me a nice sandwich today.
USB-C++ supports different classes of meals. You can also overload your own sauce.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:23 PM   #78
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I take a USB-C vitamin supplement every day.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:48 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I take a USB-C vitamin supplement every day.
Suppository.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #80
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Suppository.
This explains why you dislike USB C
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #81
Ridcully
Enthusiast
Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10th gen. Paperwhite (2018)
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
My 15" MacBook Pro happily takes 97W through USB C, and my Samsung T5 SSDs run considerably faster through USB C than USB A, and that's only 10Gbps vs. 5Gbps. I don't have any 20Gbps devices yet, or any Thuberbolt 3 devices like a SSD RAID array that can do 40Gbps through a USB C port with TB3 alternate mode.
Consider getting a laptop with native NVMe support. Rigging up enough (external!) SATA III grade drives in a RAID to hit 40 Gbps is more money than I'd care to throw away

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I never imagined I'd hear people argue that USB-A is better than USB-C. Yet here we are.

There might be arguments to continue using USB-A in the presence of USB-C. Those would mostly relate to cost to upgrade a computer or peripherals. If the older technology suits you needs, why pay to upgrade? I can certainly support that. But to argue that the old stuff is technologically superior is entertaining to read, to say the least. Sometimes older stuff is superior, especially if the change was made to reduce costs, but that's not the case with these USB ports. USB-C can do everything that USB-A can do, and a lot more. The opposite cannot be said.

Most of my stuff is USB-A by the way, I have only a few USB-C devices at the moment. That's because I do not feel the need to spend money to upgrade the old stuff quite yet, not because I think it's superior.
A harder to beat upside to USB-A is that it's more sturdy. I've never ruined a USB-A plug or jack over 20 years but I've already bent a USB-C plug. Hard to make something robust when it has to be so small and also rest unsupported in the middle. Should've made a normal-sized version for desktops and laptops

Last edited by Ridcully; 09-25-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Ridcully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:10 PM   #82
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I have enough fast storage in my laptop, externals are for backups and moving files between computers.

Don't think anybody makes a laptop with 4 NVMe slots. Not saying I need it, but if somebody does there are quad m.2 TB3 enclosures.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:39 PM   #83
Schnipps
Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S
USB-C on a PC monitor can potentially mean more fast DisplayPorts, nice to have in your multi-PC setup. It's PC master race stuff, really.
I expect most USB-C ports are crippled - like everything else - on most mobiles.
That makes them a nuisance that I need to buy adapters for, wasting my time without worthy benefit.

But at least they finally solve the problem of pluggage (at least at one end)
Schnipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:44 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question, is using USB-C for video better then using a dedicated display with it's own video memory? Is USB-C faster and where does it get the ram for the video?
Old 09-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #85
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My new cell phone has the C I LOVE it!! No trouble plugging in to the device. No eye strain looking to see which way to line up the port to! No problem find Cords! Dollar Tree had Tons ALL colors for $1 each!!! WOW
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #86
Schnipps
Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Question

Quote:
Question, is using USB-C for video better then using a dedicated display with it's own video memory? Is USB-C faster and where does it get the ram for the video?
Like which displays with dedicated video memory?
Schnipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
My new cell phone has the C I LOVE it!! No trouble plugging in to the device. No eye strain looking to see which way to line up the port to! No problem find Cords! Dollar Tree had Tons ALL colors for $1 each!!! WOW
NO! NO! NO! NO! Do not buy USB-C cords from any dollar store, They could be really badly made and cause you no end of trouble. Don't risk your hardware on these cheap cables.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:03 PM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnipps View Post
Like which displays with dedicated video memory?
Like a video card with 4GB of video memory.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:29 PM   #89
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Like a video card with 4GB of video memory.
USB C can be used as video output like an HDMI port on a laptop or a graphics card. It doesn't have any video RAM of it's own. It is a better quality port than VGA still on some laptops with higher supported resolutions and refresh rates. And depending on the setup this can be better than the HDMI port on the same device. My Mac Mini's HDMI port can only do 4K resolution at 60Hz while the displayport through USB C can do 5K.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:42 PM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
USB C can be used as video output like an HDMI port on a laptop or a graphics card. It doesn't have any video RAM of it's own. It is a better quality port than VGA still on some laptops with higher supported resolutions and refresh rates. And depending on the setup this can be better than the HDMI port on the same device. My Mac Mini's HDMI port can only do 4K resolution at 60Hz while the displayport through USB C can do 5K.
And using the USB-C port as a video port, you have to give up system RAM for the video. I prefer dedicated video RAM with a dedicated video chip.