Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-16-2017, 11:46 PM   #1
benjavi
benjavi began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to make Kindle *not* recognize dictionary

How does Kindle recognize dictionaries as dictionaries, and not regular books/novels?

I've tried to change metadata in Calibre but was unable to find which setting makes a .mobi a dictionary instead of a regular book.

(The reason is I want to read a dictionary as a regular book in the Kindle. In a Kindle dictionary you don't have the "Go to" button, so you cannot skip to different page/location; it does not show on top of "My Library")
benjavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It is not just metadata, there is specific markup. I think calibre does not let you edit all of the metadata in any case. But probably you don't want to muck with it anyway.

You can use Search from home screen (type 'oxf' for example) to find and open it, or when inside any book, you can look up a word and Open Dictionary from there (triple dot More Options). Or you can jump to last page (where Dictionaries item is found), tap the 'm of n' label in bottom right corner of Home listing, type '99' (or '999' if you have a lot of stuff), Go and you can then select Dictionaries and the dictionary you want to open. If you use Collections you can add dictionaries to those.

When open, it does have Go To, you must tap at top as with any book. And you can bookmark and annotate (I don't know if these sync between Kindles and Kindle apps). And you can export your annotations. This presumes you have a recent Kindle but most if it should apply to earlier models (except the Export stuff).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert