Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
mer10
mer10 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Unresponsive Buttons

Hi Everyone,
I wondered if anyone could offer any advice on the problem that I'm having with my second hand Sony PRS350? Although in great cosmetic condition the buttons on the right hand side are totally unresponsive (size and options buttons), everything else is working fine. A soft reset does not help and a hard reset is not possible due to the size button not responding.
Thank you.
mer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Sounds like a physical problem on the circuit board. Cold solder joint perhaps.

Unless you can fix it yourself probably cheaper to buy another.

You can live without those buttons though. You can do some functions via USB and use a program to enlarge/reduce the font size in non-DRM books

If these options are no good, slap it around a bit and hope for the best.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
mer10

Thanks for the advice, as you say I can use the reader without these buttons but the facility to increase font size is very useful! I will see what I can do with a firm slap, it's a shame as it's a great little reader otherwise.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
mer10

you may want to have a look on PRS+ (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64510) which will allow to remap the buttons to gestures or to the volume keys
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
I see 2 possibilities:

1) Try to repair it. I would disassemble the reader and then put it together. Sometimes 'rattling' on a system repairs it.

2) Try to cope with 2 buttons less. Best way is to use PRS+ and alter button-functions over options. So you could use the left 2 buttons instead of your death right ones. No big deal and much help. Try it out!
Additionally you have the possibility to use long button-pressure-functions. So you can assign to 3 buttons 6 functions. That's one more than when all 5 buttons are working without PRS+.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
mer10

Thank you for the suggestions, I hadn't heard of PRS+ before so will look into that as I can easily managed without the page turning buttons.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:32 AM   #7
mer10

Just an update to say that I have successfully loaded PRS+ onto my 350 and have managed to assign dual functions to the working buttons so I can now access the options as well as change font size! Thank you very much for your advice.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Good to hear it's working!

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Prs+ is amazing. Thank god for Kartu and the team.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
hopkinsenglish
Connoisseur
hopkinsenglish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Glad to hear of the fix. If all else fails, don't forget that the Sony Outlet store is selling refurbished ones at $59.98
hopkinsenglish is offline   Reply With Quote