Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2007, 07:44 AM   #1
dare99
dare99 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Have I made a very expensive paper weight.

Hi, I'm hoping that someone here could help me.

Today I've tried updating the firmware on my reader, but my PC hung during the process. I left it for 90 mins without it coming back but was forced to pull the power cord.

My reader now boots up to "Firmware update is not finished correctly. Please execute firmware update again", which changes to "Updateing firmware now..." when I plug the USB in.
Unfortunatly, when I run the update program, it gives my current firmware as 0.0.00.00000 and skips over the "deleting current firmware" part of instalation very quickly. It then says "Installing new software" for a minute, and tehn comes back with an ever so useful, "Update isn't complete, please try again" message.

I've tried the 10 times reset and altering the version number for the firmware instalation, but no luck.
dare99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Of course, if you search the forums (and the wiki) you'll find all kinds of info about recovery. But I remember a thread or two where I think something similar to this was discussed. Sorry, I don't remember what thread or what the solution was, but I'm sure someone will recall that...

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
dare99

Cheers anyway. Have been reading through this board all day today, but can only find variations on the things I already did.

Between this, and having spent the whole morning, downloading and installing VMware and reinstalling win xp, since sony in their wisdom don't do software for my 64 bit vista, I'm inclined to say balls to it.

I only reinstalled everything today because I'd finlly finished the books I loaded onto it last year. It's back to dead tree media for me.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
I suppose it's not still under warranty? And even if not, have you tried calling Sony to see if they have any suggestions?
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Here's one tip that is buried there in the forums...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=26

There was another trick like this also (maybe his own in another thread?)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2007, 04:27 AM   #6
dare99

Not under warenty I'm afraid, I wasn't quite a day 1 purchaser, but not far from it. I don't relish the idea of fighting my way through Sony customer support anyway!

"YOU MUST USE ORIGINAL SONY DRIVER WITH UPDATER"? Where would I find this? Does he/she mean the one on the disk?