Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
shemsha
Connoisseur
shemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: none
Any real need for screen protector?

Going to get the kindle soon.
To me the current cases and sleeves are overpriced, so I am going with a very simple one:
http://www.amazon.com/Gizmo-Dorks-Zi...4734480&sr=1-3

I can add 2$ and get it with a screen protector, would you recommend using a screen protector?
http://www.amazon.com/Gizmo-Dorks-Pr...4734480&sr=1-9

BTW, there is also a bundle for 12$ that includes the sleeve, screen protector and chargers, but I am not sure the chargers are something I need.
http://www.amazon.com/Gizmo-Dorks-Ch...734480&sr=1-16

Thanks!
shemsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
I don't use a screen protctor on my jetBook, or my Kindle 3. I do use screen protectors on my PDAs, where you're writing on the screen with a stylus. I suspect I'd use a protector if I had one of the new Sonys where a stylus can be used.

With respect to Kindle cases, I use a Mead "At-a-glance" planner cover from Staples for $9.99. It has a pocket for the K3 (originally for a notepad) and plenty of room for the charger/cable.

I gave a K2 to my sister for a gift, and got her this case:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...indleboards-20
It's less than $12 and is a hard shell. The K3 might be a bit loose, but I can't see what harm that would do.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Psykhe
Connoisseur
Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4, KindlePW
I got myself an EXiM SPUP Screen Protector. From the reviews I've seen it seems to be one of the best. Here are some before after screens for it too. On a LCD screen though, but I doubt it will look drastically different on an e-ink screen.

I (of cource) do not have my Kindle to test it with yet either.

I plan not to use it with a case since doubling the weight of a mobile device seems to me kinda counterproductive to its mobile use. I could care less about any scratches on the case, but the screen is a different issue. Therefore - screen protector.
Psykhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Since you shouldn't really be touching the screen I don't think a screen protector is at all necessary. The case you got looks fine. I'm currently using a neoprene sleeve and find it sufficient.

No matter what case you use, you can always conjure up some scenario in which your reader could still be damaged.

Just get the one that has the best balance of usability and protection.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
Since you shouldn't really be touching the screen I don't think a screen protector is at all necessary. The case you got looks fine. I'm currently using a neoprene sleeve and find it sufficient.

No matter what case you use, you can always conjure up some scenario in which your reader could still be damaged.

Just get the one that has the best balance of usability and protection.

how easy is to scratch the kindle screen?

is it hard plastic or soft plastic.i noticed how some dvd scratch just by touching it.dodgy plastic in dvd manufacture.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
how easy is to scratch the kindle screen?

is it hard plastic or soft plastic.i noticed how some dvd scratch just by touching it.dodgy plastic in dvd manufacture.
I just ran my fingernail over the screen with medium pressure - no scratching.

I have no doubt that it will scratch with enough pressure. Just touching it however won't scratch it.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
shemsha
Connoisseur
shemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animals

Thank you all. I think I won't buy a screen protector. Even if I want one - the ones I see in Amazon get really low reviews.
shemsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:39 AM   #8
Ziggy925
Ziggy925 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Just get a cover to protect the screen. Those screen savers can be very difficult to apply, and you may just wind up with lots of bubbles and whatnot. I only use screen savers on devices that use a stylus directly on the screen.
Ziggy925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:06 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A decent case or cover is essential; a screen protector is not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:50 AM   #10
softshell
softshell began at the beginning.

the kindle comes with two pieces of plastic cover stuff on it. if you just cut one of them, it can act as a perfectly fine screen cover, just gotta get the air bubbles out :P
softshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:02 AM   #11
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
I put a screen protector on mine but I am a little anal. haha.

I think as long as you have a cover on your Kindle, keep it on all the time, and it covers/protects the screen, then you won't need a screen protector.
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #12
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
well, you'll probably need a screen protector for those people who haven't seen a kindle before, and keep trying to swipe at the screen to make it turn the page... like 5 of my friends who did that

otherwise, just a case would do... i have been keeping my dxg in a 13" laptop neoprene case, no scratches so far, any smudges can be wiped out
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:35 AM   #13
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
well, you'll probably need a screen protector for those people who haven't seen a kindle before, and keep trying to swipe at the screen to make it turn the page... like 5 of my friends who did that
My standard disclaimer to friends and strangers who want to take a look at my Kindle is 'it's not a touch screen, IT'S NOT A TOUCH SCREEN' while handing it over.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:17 AM   #14
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I have had my Kindle 2 for over 18 months and have never used a screen protector, just a cover. I read daily and have no scratches whatsoever. I would say that the screen and the case in general are very durable.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote