Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
mr. wonderful
mr. wonderful began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Help! Receiving Kindle as A Gift Canada/USA

I searched a bit but couldn't find any concrete answers...so i'm hoping some of you can help!

Parents bought me a kindle, they live in USA. I live in Canada. I'm going to register it on my credit card (Canadian credit card). Some of the books aren't available in Canada but I've read some posts and searched the web that said it MAY be possible to purchase gift cards with my credit card, and enter my parents US address to get the books. Is that possible when I'm in Canada, or are there coutry region restrictions with respect to downloads? Can I download it directly to the Kindle or do I have to download through a computer?

Any advice will help! Thanks!
mr. wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Sheebrook
Kindle 2 user since Feb09
Sheebrook began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 original
Use gift card

Absolutely you can use a gift card on your Cdn credit card and your parents US address. Register it as a US Kindle. This way you also avoid the extra $2.00 fee on books.

I have a K2 original and can access US whispernet from my home very close to the US border. It does not access whispernet in Canada. It's registered as a US Kindle. I'm not sure if a K2 International would access whispernet in Canada.

Please post if yours does, as I am thinking of upgrading to the International, to get Canadian access as well as U.S.
Sheebrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Mr Wonderful and Sheebrook. Many Kindlers here will chip in, I'm sure. I don't have a Kindle myself (I use a Sony), but my understanding is that even if your Kindle is registered in the US, if you're downloading outside the States, you'll still get stuck with the $2-per-title loading for 'foreign' use. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Good to have your company, Mr Wonderful and Sheebrook. Many Kindlers here will chip in, I'm sure. I don't have a Kindle myself (I use a Sony), but my understanding is that even if your Kindle is registered in the US, if you're downloading outside the States, you'll still get stuck with the $2-per-title loading for 'foreign' use. Good luck. Neil
If your kindle is registered outside the US the price is higher directly when you look at the book, ie you won't see any extra fee specified. If your kindle is registered inside the US and you download outside you will get the US price but also an extra fee of USD2.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Sheebrook
Kindle 2 user since Feb09
Sheebrook began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 original
yes I am sure you are right. I only download over the US whispernet, living near the border as I do.
I don't have to pay the extra $2. But when my family account was accidently changed to Canada by one of my account sharers all the free books suddenly cost $2. My Canadian family has to download via computer then usb cable to read books on their original K2s.

We leave the account registered in the US for cheaper books and to give me whispernet access. They add gift cards to the account to pay for their books and I use a US based credit card.
Sheebrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert