Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-29-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
How to resize my rasterized pdf?

I have a rasterized pdf (scanned image) which size is too big.

I wish to scale the size down (its size is 6.97"x4.09", want to scale down to 4.5" high).

Any freeware allows me to do this?

Last edited by bthoven; 03-29-2010 at 02:06 AM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Any bitmap editor which supports the import of .pdfs should allow you to do this, GIMP is one free program which will (use GhostScript to) import .pdfs.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
The other option is to get the text out of the PDF with an OCR programme - Abbyy FineReader is good. Once you've got the text you can do what you want with it - resize it, reflow it - in a word processing programme and then print to PDF again.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm curious exactly why you want to do this. Just about every PDF reader, certainly on portable devices, will automatically scale the PDF to match the size of the screen.

Is this for the purpose of printing, or ...?
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Any bitmap editor which supports the import of .pdfs should allow you to do this, GIMP is one free program which will (use GhostScript to) import .pdfs.

William
Thanks. As there are around two hundred pages, GIMP will import them into layers of images. My questions are:

1. After editing in GIMP, which format should I save them? save in layers? because I can't save them as pdf direct from GIMP.
2. How to convert it back to multi-page pdf?

Thanks

Last edited by bthoven; 03-30-2010 at 05:29 AM.
Advert
Old 03-30-2010, 03:39 AM   #6
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
I'm curious exactly why you want to do this. Just about every PDF reader, certainly on portable devices, will automatically scale the PDF to match the size of the screen.

Is this for the purpose of printing, or ...?
Hi,

As the document page is too long, when autofit in Nook, the text is too small with lot of blank space on the right. I wish I can compress the height of the page a bit; or to make the page height vs width scale fit my Nook. This should make the text look bigger on my Nook.

Last edited by bthoven; 03-30-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:49 AM   #7
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
The other option is to get the text out of the PDF with an OCR programme - Abbyy FineReader is good. Once you've got the text you can do what you want with it - resize it, reflow it - in a word processing programme and then print to PDF again.
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. The document looks quite dirty because it was scanned from a very old book. The text is also in Thai which current local OCR software is still not good enough to produce accurate text out of it.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
As the document page is too long, when autofit in Nook, the text is too small with lot of blank space on the right. I wish I can compress the height of the page a bit; or to make the page height vs width scale fit my Nook. This should make the text look bigger on my Nook.
Scaling the page will not help with this problem. It shows the whitespace because the proportions (height/width ratio) of the page do not match that of the nook. Resizing the page while keeping the same proportions will do exactly nothing. There isn't that much you can do about that, but the best thing to do would be to trim the whitespace, i.e., crop the PDF, not resize it. Ignore all the instructions above.

There are some instructions in this thread for cropping scanned PDFs.

You could also try soPDF or PaperCrop or PDFread.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Scaling the page will not help with this problem. It shows the whitespace because the proportions (height/width ratio) of the page do not match that of the nook. Resizing the page while keeping the same proportions will do exactly nothing. There isn't that much you can do about that, but the best thing to do would be to trim the whitespace, i.e., crop the PDF, not resize it. Ignore all the instructions above.

There are some instructions in this thread for cropping scanned PDFs.

You could also try soPDF or PaperCrop or PDFread.
Yes..that's what I intend to do. There is no white margins at all in the document, each page is just too long. I have to change the proportion of the pages to be same as my Nook width:height proportion.

I already use GIMP to import, change the proportion, and save it in gif and xcf as layered image file. I don't know how to convert it further to pdf? The preview of the new proportion still looks good and very readable.

Last edited by bthoven; 03-30-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
frabjous
Wizard

Are you cutting the pages into proportionally correct sized chunks, or are you actually stretching the text or images disproportionately to match the Nook's size?

Hey, if it still looks good, more power to you. I would think this would usually result is something fairly awful looking, however...

Either way, I wouldn't think that the GIMP is the right tool for this job. (Although I am a big fan of the GIMP in general.)

For cutting into appropriately sized chunks, one thing could you try is processing with PDFLRF and then use calibre to convert the resultant LRF to something Nook can read (ePub or whatever).

For stretching, I'd probably bypass the GIMP altogether and write a script for ImageMagick that does it all automatically. (E.g., burst a PDF into multiple images, batch resize the pages, etc.) ImageMagick can also convert multiple images, or a multi-layer image, into a multipage PDF.

E.g.:

convert *.gif -adjoin output.pdf

Will combine all the .gifs in the directory into output.pdf.

if I knew a bit more about exactly what the workflow is, I might be able to help with the script, though I'm by no means an expert.

Last edited by frabjous; 03-30-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
bthoven
Evangelist

Thanks frabjous...you're very helpful.

I use gimp to stretch (should say squeeze) the image and now saved as multi-layer gif.

It seems there is no tool to convert such a multi-layer gif file to multi-page pdf.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
frabjous
Wizard

ImageMagick will also convert multilayer gifs to multipage PDFs.

convert mymultilayer.gif mymultipage.pdf
Old 03-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #13
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
ImageMagick will also convert multilayer gifs to multipage PDFs.

convert mymultilayer.gif mymultipage.pdf
Thanks..it works!

The problem are:

1. size increase two folds (from 9MB to 17MB). Size increased at pdf-to-gif process by gimp. The imagemagick just increased size a bit.
2. the output file show pages in reverse order, ie. last page show first. I have to reverse layer order in gimp before using imagemagick. Is there an option in imagemagick to reverse layer order when producing pdf file?
Thanks

Last edited by bthoven; 03-30-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:40 PM   #14
frabjous
Wizard

Try:

convert mymultilayer.gif -reverse mymultipage.pdf

Not sure what can be done about the file size offhand, but I'll give it some thought.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:14 AM   #15
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Try:

convert mymultilayer.gif -reverse mymultipage.pdf

Not sure what can be done about the file size offhand, but I'll give it some thought.
Thanks..that reverse option works!