Nintendo DSi XL to get Classic Books App

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/N...09571-585.html
jimmyrules712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
yeah, b/c today's kids - when faced with the monumental decision between video games or reading - will ALWAYS choose reading...riiiight...LoL
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm1979 View Post
yeah, b/c today's kids - when faced with the monumental decision between video games or reading - will ALWAYS choose reading...riiiight...LoL
My daughter will almost always choose reading. The Wii and Xbox actually gather dust while her book collection never gets a chance to.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm1979 View Post
Well I have to twist my boys arm to read, but my daughter regularly chooses reading over video games. That's not to say she doesn't enjoy video games quite the opposite.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
MrBlueSky
Connoisseur
MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 600
Hmm.

They expect you to PAY for public domain books?
MrBlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky View Post
Hmm.

They expect you to PAY for public domain books?
Since there is no reader app on the DS you are paying for the read app with the books. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Cla...ook_Collection

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Since there is no reader app on the DS you are paying for the read app with the books. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Cla...ook_Collection

Dale
There is a reader app (and a very good one) on the DS/NDS/etc if you have a flashcart.

dslibris:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndslibris/

It reads xhtml and epub (with varying, but most very good, results). This is the homebrew scene that Nintendo says does not exist and that therefore the ONLY purpose for flashcarts is to steal Nintendo software.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I've been thinking about a DS and a flash cart JUST for the homebrew. Like with my GBA, I've used it for years, and I've never owned one GBA game. Only ever done homebrew.

You can be legal and free.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There is a reader app (and a very good one) on the DS/NDS/etc if you have a flashcart.

dslibris:

It reads xhtml and epub (with varying, but most very good, results). This is the homebrew scene that Nintendo says does not exist and that therefore the ONLY purpose for flashcarts is to steal Nintendo software.
I have had a DS Lite with a flashcart (R4) for a few years, but did not know of this app. I got it and .... wow! I slapped some ePubs on it, and it works really good. Quickly adjustable backlight, fonts, font size, reverse (black background, white letters) and bookmarks. Uses both screens so it actually holds more text than my iPhone... and has much better battery life.... I love it... now I have yet another option for reading!

Thanks for the heads up on this, can't believe I didn't know about it...
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #10
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I have had a DS Lite with a flashcart (R4) for a few years, but did not know of this app. I got it and .... wow! I slapped some ePubs on it, and it works really good. Quickly adjustable backlight, fonts, font size, reverse (black background, white letters) and bookmarks. Uses both screens so it actually holds more text than my iPhone... and has much better battery life.... I love it... now I have yet another option for reading!

Thanks for the heads up on this, can't believe I didn't know about it...
It isn't widely advertised outside the flashcart nerd world.

It isn't perfect with epubs. I've found that epubs I make with Calibre from document files that I've edited myself tend to work better than stuff from some of the 'sameday convert from Gutenberg' sites.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

dslibris:

sure, There are actually several reader apps available but they require a bit of hacking and are not standardly available from Nintendo. You can read about it in our own wiki Nintendo DS. That doesn't change the fact that the thread is actually about a cartidge that includes 100 books and an app that you can just buy and plug in, and the fact that it may be standard on the new device.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
banjomike
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
sure, There are actually several reader apps available but they require a bit of hacking and are not standardly available from Nintendo. You can read about it in our own wiki Nintendo DS. That doesn't change the fact that the thread is actually about a cartidge that includes 100 books and an app that you can just buy and plug in, and the fact that it may be standard on the new device.

Dale
No, it doesn't change that fact.

It also doesn't change the fact that ANY Nintendo DS is capable of reading books and reading them quite well with a small hardware addition, the flashcart.

There is no shortage of people who own flashcarts and might find the info useful.

In my opinion the minor thread diversion is justified.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #13
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
It isn't widely advertised outside the flashcart nerd world.

It isn't perfect with epubs. I've found that epubs I make with Calibre from document files that I've edited myself tend to work better than stuff from some of the 'sameday convert from Gutenberg' sites.
True. I convert all mine in Calibre and frankly some format better on the DS than they do on my PRS-300 Sony reader. The only thing I changed was I went into the DSLibre config file and changed the margin settings. It was wasting to much screen space with the "stock" settings.... thanks again for the great find!
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #14
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
I used that app for a bit while I had a DS. It worked fine, but the DS went to a better home ("my little cousins"), since I wasn't using it for games...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #15
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Flashcart?

Gunner...
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote