Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #31
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Put them back on your Kindle with the usb cord. Make sure that you remove the existing same ebook from your Kindle first. You can do that through Calibre or by plugging in your Kindle and opening the "documents" folder on your Kindle (Mine shows up as F:\ drive) and deleting the book(s) that you have fixed and want to reload. Or you can do it from the main page in your Kindle by running up the scroll to the book name and pressing the "back" (left arrow) button.

Next - have fun reading them!
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #32
KinN00b
KinN00b began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Put them back on your Kindle with the usb cord. Make sure that you remove the existing same ebook from your Kindle first. You can do that through Calibre or by plugging in your Kindle and opening the "documents" folder on your Kindle (Mine shows up as F:\ drive) and deleting the book(s) that you have fixed and want to reload. Or you can do it from the main page in your Kindle by running up the scroll to the book name and pressing the "back" (left arrow) button.

Next - have fun reading them!
Lemme just repeat so I understand...
Leave them in PRC format and just copy/paste into the file? I don't think that will work with the K2... Doesn't the K2 have to be .azw format only? I'll try tonight when I get home, but I'm fairly certain it HAS to be .azw for Kindle 2...
KinN00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #33
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
No, Kindle can use PRC or MOBI files natively.

HOWEVER, it's my understanding that Kindle will not update the metadata on PRC files. Even on send-to-device. So you need to convert to MOBI, and *then* after you've editing the metadata the way you like, send-to-device the MOBI file.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:37 PM   #34
KinN00b
KinN00b began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
OK, thank you! I followed the process yall provided and it worked like a charm! A little lengthy for 300 books, but WORTH it! Thank you!!!!!
KinN00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:28 PM   #35
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Okay, I downloaded Herland and tried to make your changes. I'm using Vista, so I hope the steps are similar.

1. I imported the book into Calibre and made my meta data changes (herland2). As you can see, I made sure that both "Author" and "Author Sort" were entered as "lastname, firstname". I clicked okay.

2. Once back in the main window, I right clicked on the book title and chose "Convert E-books". Once I was in the convert window, I clicked the "page set-up" icon and for the "Destination Profile", I chose "Kindle" (herland6). I clicked okay and was sent back to the main window.

3. I watch the hour glass do it's dance for a few moments. I then went to my Calibre ebook directory and transferred the resulting .mobi file to my Kindle "documents" folder (herland7 - before and after). The title was changed and I was able to sort by author and have the book show up with the "G" authors.
Thanks, daffy. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I tried again and still could not sort by author. Also, I noticed that my book was no longer left justified and I could not change it. Calibre was acting strangely. I could swear half the commands were in Arabic. I must have been having a font problem also. I might wait for a few upgrades and try again. I do appreciate your help.

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #36
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Arabic bug on MacOS has been fixed.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #37
buschkim
buschkim began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
can anyone help with increasing print size on my kindle. some books have tiny print and illustrations which can't be seen on the largest font size
buschkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #38
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by buschkim View Post
can anyone help with increasing print size on my kindle. some books have tiny print and illustrations which can't be seen on the largest font size
Have you tried to zoom the images (the tiny print may be an image as well)?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #39
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Question Cannot successfully convert .prc in Calibre - pls help

Hello, I've been a lurker previously and this is my first post. First, I would like to thank all the generous people here for offering their expertise to so many.

I've been reading this thread and others with great interest and still cannot successfully convert .prc to Mobi without getting a lenthy error log. The file in question is non-DRM'd, .prc format and I've corrected the author name in order for it to appear on my Kindle (I've yet to find out!). When I select convert 'individually', the hourglass does its thing, but this is the error I am receiving (below). (Calibre v.0.5.1)

Can anyone help? I am at my wit's end! :
Thank you very much.

Job: **Convert book: Truman**
**tuple**: ('IOError', u'decoding error when reading image file')
**Traceback**:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "parallel.py", line 958, in worker
File "parallel.py", line 916, in work
File "calibre\ebooks\mobi\from_any.pyo", line 51, in any2mobi
File "calibre\ebooks\epub\from_any.pyo", line 167, in any2epub
File "calibre\ebooks\epub\from_any.pyo", line 63, in mobi2opf
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\mobi\read er.py", line 197, in extract_content
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\mobi\read er.py", line 540, in extract_images
File "PIL\Image.pyo", line 653, in convert
File "PIL\ImageFile.pyo", line 207, in load
IOError: decoding error when reading image file

**Log**:
Exploding MOBI file: c:\docume~1\pt\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.5.1_oqz4u7. prc
('IOError', u'decoding error when reading image file')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "parallel.py", line 958, in worker
File "parallel.py", line 916, in work
File "calibre\ebooks\mobi\from_any.pyo", line 51, in any2mobi
File "calibre\ebooks\epub\from_any.pyo", line 167, in any2epub
File "calibre\ebooks\epub\from_any.pyo", line 63, in mobi2opf
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\mobi\read er.py", line 197, in extract_content
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\mobi\read er.py", line 540, in extract_images
File "PIL\Image.pyo", line 653, in convert
File "PIL\ImageFile.pyo", line 207, in load
IOError: decoding error when reading image file
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #40
sirbruce
Provocateur

First, try downloading and installing 0.5.3 and see if that fixes it.

Second, if not, create an account on the calibre web page, log in, file a new ticket, and attach a copy of the prc file.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #41
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Skydog, welcome to MobileRead!

You don't have to convert a DRM free .prc file to use on your Kindle. The Kindle will read it natively just make sure to place it in the "documents" folder on your Kindle.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #42
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You don't have to convert a DRM free .prc file to use on your Kindle.
In this case, he does, because he's changing the author name.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #43
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sirbruce,

Thank you for the suggestion - I'll update to the most current version and try again.

daffy4u,

Thank you also - I'm well aware that the file does not require conversion to be read. As I mentioned, I need to edit the metadata which reportedly works best if subsequently converted to .mobi before porting to the Kindle. Editing a .prc seems to be ineffective.

(and thank you for the welcome )
Old 03-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #44
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Gotcha, you're right for Calibre. It can be done without converting the file with either MobiPocket Creator or Mobi2Mobi (though it's good to learn all the ins and outs of Calibre).
Old 03-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #45
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Actually, I'm a "she," not that it matters.