Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Ivoch
Enthusiast
Ivoch began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Some format/settings questions

My brand spanking new Gen3 arrived today!

So now while it's charging, I thought I'd ask a couple questions regarding the various ebook (DRM-free) formats it supports:

1. Is there any difference between the time needed to turn a page for each format or are they roughly the same?

2. I have a lot of old books in TXT format - is there any point converting them to another one?

3. I also have a lot of books in cyrillic in RTF format - I assume convertion won't be bad as they are 2-3 times bigger than normal books? If so, which format would be the best to convert to?

I also have another question - is there a way to turn off the LED blinking everytime I sneeze at the reader? The only time I'd want it on is when I'm charging the latter.
Ivoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

First of all, let me congratulate you for your new toy, you are going to love it.

Now for the questions:

1 – No. Pdf is slower, and plain images pdf’s are even slower;

2 – If you want them nicely formatted, with a front image (as a pBook jacket), table of contents, chapters beginning in a new page, etc… I advise you to convert, at least the ones you will be reading again. If you like to read, plain and simple, do not convert, the Cybook reads txt files perfectly well;

3 – Mobipocket Reader (my personal choice) – the converting program is free and you can import the files directly if you have Microsoft Word in your computer. If not, just open your rtf files in a office editor and save it in html, then build the Mobipocket eBook from that htm file and associated images if they exist.

And about the light: no.
You can hide it by using a protective cover.
My advice – get a protective cover, you will feel much better using your Cybook.

Good reading,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
Ivoch
Enthusiast
Ivoch began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Thanks, I love it so far! But I like the PRS-500's prev/next page buttons placement better, especially as I often like to hold my books with the left hand..

About the mobipocket reader - I can't seem to find the option to convert books - I can open the html/txt/etc. files just fine, and I see the Convert tab in the settings window, but how do I actually convert a book?

As for the LED - I don't think it will bother me that much, I mostly meant to turn it off to add a few more days to the battery life. Though I guess everytime I press a button a lot more power is used by the processor/display than the LED anyway so I'll just live with it.

And I already have a cover - bought the reader from WHSmith and it came with the standard cover.
Ivoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

The Mobipocket Reader (Desktop) permits you to do direct conversions choosing the import option: click on it, choose the format you want to convert from, choose the folder and file to convert from the window and it converts the file to a prc file.

To create professional looking eBooks you will need the Mobipocket Creator (this is the one that I was “talking” above).
You can get it from Mobipocket site: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...ilsCreator.asp

When installing choose “Publisher Edition” installation, this gives you bigger and better options to format your eBooks.

From the same page where you download the program you have several tutorials who will help you to create your master pieces.

Best,
Old 11-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru

One more thing: do not worry about battery life, you will have days and days of use before using a battery.
Advert
Old 11-30-2008, 04:37 AM   #6
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Hi Ivoch,
Congratulations, the Cybook´s a good choice. I really love mine

When converting plain text I take the .txt-file, use an editor and save it as html. I open the htm-file in Mobipocket Creator, press the "build"-button and will have a prc-file I can read on the Cybook.

If you want a "real" ebook (nicely formatted, table of contents, links etc.) from plain text or html, you can use Book Designer and Mobipocket Creator. Just follow HarryT´s tutorials on book creation which you can find here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11678
and
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17914
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote