Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-25-2016, 06:05 PM   #16
mattmc
Connoisseur
mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad 1/2/Air, K3/PW2/Fire1, Kobo Touch, Samsung Tab, Nook Color/Touch
I got my Kindle Oasis yesterday, and tried out the MQ on it. Looks good. It actually has exactly the same dimensions as the Voyage, apparently:

http://ebookfriendly.com/kindle-oasis-2016/

Nevertheless, it was good to test it to be sure.
mattmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmc View Post
I got my Kindle Oasis yesterday, and tried out the MQ on it. Looks good. It actually has exactly the same dimensions as the Voyage, apparently:

http://ebookfriendly.com/kindle-oasis-2016/

Nevertheless, it was good to test it to be sure.
Yo! Not to thread-jack, but does it have that same image rendering bug? The "image-is-greater-than-50%-of-the-screen-so-it-blows-the-hell-up" bug?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #18
mattmc
Connoisseur
mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yo! Not to thread-jack, but does it have that same image rendering bug? The "image-is-greater-than-50%-of-the-screen-so-it-blows-the-hell-up" bug?

Hitch
Not super familiar with that, because I didn't have a Voyage until today. Do you have an appropriate sample file you want to send my way?
Old 07-04-2016, 01:03 AM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not super familiar with that, because I didn't have a Voyage until today. Do you have an appropriate sample file you want to send my way?
I'm sure I can find one and send it on, but it's uber-easy to test: set ANY image that's typically meant for slightly larger than half the width of the screen to 50% or greater (width) and see if it blows up.

The Voyage has a persistent bug. If you use (for example) a chapter head image, and it's wide-ish, but not meant to be full-width, you end up with full width. Any width: X% class that you set at 50% or greater blows up to the full width of the screen. I have had discussions with Amazon--they weren't aware of it when we first reported it, but I haven't been advised of any progress on it.

Hitch
Old 07-05-2016, 05:42 AM   #20
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
How awful. Will 49% work?

I'm beginning to appreciate Wm Buckley's credo: to stand athwart Progress and yell "Stop!"
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
How awful. Will 49% work?

I'm beginning to appreciate Wm Buckley's credo: to stand athwart Progress and yell "Stop!"
Hi:

At our last test, yes, 49% works. But there are just SOME items that need to be, say, 60% or 70%, etc. It's very frustrating.

Hitch
Old 07-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #22
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
I would say it certainly compares. My experience with a Kepub and their wack rendering engine is that it eviscerated my book. Normal page-break CSS doesn't even work: https://github.com/kobolabs/epub-spec/issues/18

To me, that's actually far worse than stripping out your embedded fonts.
In terms of the user experience, yes, at least for now, but it is also a bug that they'll eventually fix, as opposed to modifying the content in a way that will make it be forever broken, which makes it less bad at least in the long term.

Incidentally, I find the spec linked from that page to be fascinating. What it tells me is that on iOS and Android, they used the native rendering engines (either WebKit or Blink, which is based on WebKit), but used something else on other platforms for some baffling reason. Whatever that "something else" is, it apparently isn't a fully functioning CSS layout engine. I'd imagine if I fed it my content on Windows in KePUB mode, it would keel over and die.

Or I could be wrong, and they might have used WebKit, but hacked together the pagination in some custom way rather than using it in paged media output mode like you'd use if you were printing. Hard to say which.

Last edited by dgatwood; 07-10-2016 at 12:01 PM.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #23
mattmc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
Incidentally, I find the spec linked from that page to be fascinating. What it tells me is that on iOS and Android, they used the native rendering engines (either WebKit or Blink, which is based on WebKit), but used something else on other platforms for some baffling reason. Whatever that "something else" is, it apparently isn't a fully functioning CSS layout engine. I'd imagine if I fed it my content on Windows in KePUB mode, it would keel over and die.

Or I could be wrong, and they might have used WebKit, but hacked together the pagination in some custom way rather than using it in paged media output mode like you'd use if you were printing. Hard to say which.
Based on this thread they use the NetFront ACCESS browser (substantiated here) which I had never heard of before I ran across that thread. Seems like it might be based on Blink?

@Hitch, sorry I haven't been able to test the 50% thing on my Oasis yet--been up to my eyeballs, but it is in the back of my mind.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:09 PM   #24
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

@Hitch, sorry I haven't been able to test the 50% thing on my Oasis yet--been up to my eyeballs, but it is in the back of my mind.
Hell, we have so many other Amazon weirdnesses going on that to tell you the truth, I'd spaced that the damn thing even EXISTED, much less might have the same issue (as the V).

When you can is more than soon enough. I appreciate it, though. I do.

Hitch