Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-14-2015, 05:19 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
If I want to read an author that reminds me of LotR but doesn't copy it, I'll read Guy Gavriel Kay. If I want to read an interesting perspective on LotR, I'll read Jacqueline Carey's Sundering duology which is basically LotR from the bad guys' POV.
One might also consider Brandon Sanderson's excellent "Mistborn" trilogy to be a version of LotR in which the Dark Lord won.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:11 PM   #47
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Yes, I really like Mistborn.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #48
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One might also consider Brandon Sanderson's excellent "Mistborn" trilogy to be a version of LotR in which the Dark Lord won.
I haven't heard that before, but it is kinda like that. Now there's a series that would make some awesome movies. Honestly they read kinda like a CLAMP anime show with characters using superpowers and jumping into the sky/rooftops/etc.

I lost interest in Shannara as I found the Jerle Shannara series mediocre, as well as the one that came after (High Druid)?. I read Armageddon's Children before it was clearly a Shannara book (although it was certainly hinted) but dropped the series after that.

It's weird to skip Sword, but since most of it is a blatant LOTR rip-off, I get it. Spinning up the post apocalyptic elements is probably a good idea too. Sometimes I'm really surprised they didn't go with the Word & Void books instead (seems more filmable) but maybe they don't have the name recognition they are looking for.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:48 PM   #49
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I lost interest in Shannara as I found the Jerle Shannara series mediocre
While the stories are quite OK, I would have liked it if Brooks had dropped the Ohmsford and Leah families after the first trilogy. You can't have a family saving the world over and over again (Ohmsford), assisted by another (Leah) for a thousand years or so, again and again, without it becoming boring.

Aside from that, Wren Ohmsford actually turns out to be an Ellessedil, taking over leadership of the elves... and if even THAT wasn't enough, another Ohmsford descendant (Walker Boh) becomes the High Druid.

The only thing needed is that an exiled King of the Dwarves returns, turning out to be an Ohmsford as well, and the Prime Minister of the South is a descendant of the previously unknown half-brother of Will Ohmsford. Then they have ALL THE THINGS.

The Ohmsford family is the only one that counts in the Shannara universe... with a bit of assistance from the Leah's, but they've become (almost) peasants at some point. Maybe something will change, when Paxton Leah actually starts wielding the old Leah sword in "The High Druid's Blade". Will a Leah become Druid? I don't know. I haven't read that book yet.

Nowadays, to be truly honest, I only read and keep up the Shannara books and Drizzt series out of habit. Both are far beyond their prime, to be honest.

Nevertheless, I hope the series on MTV will be amazing. I'm glad they're starting with Elfstones.

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-15-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #50
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I'm still enjoying the Shannara books. High Druid's Blade was quite entertaining.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2015, 05:48 AM   #51
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I will not be watching it. I love fantasy but this doesn't seem like something I would enjoy. Never read Shannara books either and have not intention to do so.

From the video I heard all that made me think this is not for me.

"Shannara is a fantasy series about 3 young teens who have to embark on an epic quest"
I'm not interested in YA stories in general, or stories where the main focus are ONLY teens so right there I know it's not for me.

"There's young love"
Nope, dont care.

"There's loss, there's tragedy, there's rising to challenges"
This part seems too streamlined and sounds like classic coming of age story which again, I dont really care that much about.

Of course this is just my first impression, but it's enough for me. I dont enjoy TV shows where the teens are at the spotlight or that are made for YA market.
Of course they are banking on the GOT popularity to make money but I dont think they get it. GOT is so popular not because of fantasy element (as much as that hurts to say) but because of variety of well written characters and the constant intrigue and backstabbing. I dont think a show where the teens are at the center of the story can provide a similar experience.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:32 AM   #52
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
GOT is so popular not because of fantasy element (as much as that hurts to say) but because of variety of well written characters and the constant intrigue and backstabbing.
Don't forget the gratuitous nudity and sex.
Some markets, that's all the viewers want.

That alone will keep Shannara from coming even close to GOT numbers.

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-20-2015 at 07:35 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:00 AM   #53
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
I will not be watching it. I love fantasy but this doesn't seem like something I would enjoy. Never read Shannara books either and have not intention to do so.
Sounds a little like judging a book by it's cover... although that's certainly your prerogative. I think I'll do as I normally do...watch a few episodes and if I don't like it, I'll stop watching.

I remember enjoying the first few books when I was (a little) younger. I also enjoyed the first few Magic Kingdom books. So I respect Terry Brooks as a story teller - regardless if Sword was "Tolkienesque". I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and see if MTV can convert his stories to the small screen.

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #54
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm really looking forward to it. I hope it comes to the UK
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #55
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Sounds a little like judging a book by it's cover... although that's certainly your prerogative. I think I'll do as I normally do...watch a few episodes and if I don't like it, I'll stop watching.
Cheers!
I spend enough time watching TV already (I love TV) so I'm not usually going to invest another hour or three exploring new things to watch, unless the premise, or whatever buzz I hear, really interests me.
But you never know what's going to surprise you. I never had any interest in reading "The Last Ship." The description of the novel, and post-apocalyptic dytopia novels in general, just does not appeal to me.
But a friend convinced me to watch the pilot of the TV series with him, and I am absolutely hooked!
The writing throughout the first season was as engaging as the new Battlestar Galactica was, and if you're a Navy type, it's a total love-fest.

So you never know.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #56
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Don't forget the gratuitous nudity and sex.
Some markets, that's all the viewers want.

That alone will keep Shannara from coming even close to GOT numbers.
I agree with you to some point, but I dont give much credit to sex and nudity. I think what keeps majority of people watching is the suspense. People grow attached to the characters because they are so well written and they never know if their favorite will make it till the end of the season.

Quote:
Frankly I dont test things. I read a synopsis and couple of reviews and I decide if it's for me or not. I dont download book samples either, and my way has been working for me. I read what I know I will enjoy/like/not hate. I DNF one book in 2 years, and I enjoy what I read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I spend enough time watching TV already (I love TV) so I'm not usually going to invest another hour or three exploring new things to watch, unless the premise, or whatever buzz I hear, really interests me.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #57
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I agree with you to some point, but I dont give much credit to sex and nudity.
Never underestimate the power of blood and boobies when it comes to television ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
But you never know what's going to surprise you. I never had any interest in reading "The Last Ship." The description of the novel, and post-apocalyptic dytopia novels in general, just does not appeal to me.
But a friend convinced me to watch the pilot of the TV series with him, and I am absolutely hooked!
I hear the book's quite a bit different than the series, but I'm hooked too!
(of course, I was a fan of the canceled-way-too-early "Last Resort" as well).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-20-2015 at 12:48 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #58
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
**Double post**

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-20-2015 at 12:47 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #59
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Frankly I dont test things. I read a synopsis and couple of reviews and I decide if it's for me or not.
LOL! Isn't that just your form of a "test"...thus my comment about judging based on the cover.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying you CAN'T do it that way...that's why authors who invest in a good cover artist usually do better than those who put their kids drawings on the cover... (examples) ... I am saying that I don't give anonymous reviews that much weight in my decision making. I respect the author enough to give it a go...

Happy reading/watching!

Last edited by Turtle91; 07-20-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:11 AM   #60
Geralt
Witcher

Quote:
LOL! Isn't that just your form of a "test"...thus my comment about judging based on the cover.
Isn't that a form of test? Sure if you wanna play semantics.
But reading a label is not the same as taste testing a bar of chocolate, or watching a video review about a car is not the same as test driving it.
At no point in these two examples does "testing" lead to consuming the product.
Well same thing applies to books and TV. Watch a couple of episodes or read a couple of chapters, you're testing the product. Read a synopsis or a review? You're getting informed. If in your head getting informed and testing something is the same I have nothing else to say. But I differentiate between the two.

Last edited by Geralt; 07-21-2015 at 04:25 AM. Reason: spelling error