Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
Aoi
Aoi began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T3
i lose my hope in sony reader

I've been a long time fan of sony products, from their early cameras to phones to readers but the PRS-T3 has failed me twice in a week. Two different devices, and both failed in similar fashion, with the screen frozen and unable to reset or reboot.

It is a failure in design to have to be able to turn on and off the device in order to hard reset, if the device is unresponsive then it's bricked forever, no amount of troubleshooting can fix this.

I guess I will give Amazon Kindle a try
Aoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
It sounds as though you have a bad ebook (file). Delete the book(s) and see if that frees up things.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
It sounds as though you have a bad ebook (file). Delete the book(s) and see if that frees up things.
It's possible, though i was reading different books when it froze. Still a failure in design since my computer doesn't even recognize the reader, there's no way to delete files
Old 03-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
How do you think it's a failure of the device if you put a corrupt file on it that rendered it inoperable? That's like blaming the car manufacturer for a faulty car when you drove it into a tree. Makes no sense.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:55 PM   #5
Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
How do you think it's a failure of the device if you put a corrupt file on it that rendered it inoperable? That's like blaming the car manufacturer for a faulty car when you drove it into a tree. Makes no sense.
first of all i did not purposely to put a corrupted file on the device, anyone could have made the mistake. its like saying if you unintentionally load a corrupt mp3 on a ipod, the ipod should be bricked forever

secondly your analogy doesn't really make sense here, its more like driving and getting a flat tire, but instead of being able to simply change the tire, the car is destroyed forever

i don't personally have anything against sony, since i still use a lot of their products. but it's clear that this case demonstrates a failure in design...

Last edited by Aoi; 03-30-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Advert
Old 03-30-2015, 11:02 PM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Do a hard reset. That should remove all books and reset the device.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #7
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Do a hard reset. That should remove all books and reset the device.
I think Aoi is complaining that if the device is frozen, and doesn't respond to the reset button (ie: soft reset), then how do you do a hard reset (which requires you to hold the power button until the shutdown prompt appears).
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #8
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
It shouldn't be possible to render the device inoperable with any kind of file corrupt or not. After all, there can be errors even in file copying or interrupted downloads, maliciously assembled books, and other things outside of the user's control. The designers should have taken that into account and made the ereader as fail safe as possible.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #9
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
My T3 lost half the screen. It was stylish but weaker than my other readers. Even the first Hanlin I bought in 2009 was tougher. I'm not going to miss Sony at all I've realised lately. They were good in their day but that was some time ago.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Aoi--Have you tried plugging your reader in to charge? From the wall, not from a computer? Having a frozen screen can mean that the battery has completely drained and needs to be recharged. I imagine a corrupt file could cause the battery to drain completely if the T1 is having trouble processing it. Plugging it in for a few hours or overnight might enable you then to do a pin-hole reset successfully.

Good luck!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote