Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Cannot load .AZW3 books to Amazon Personal Documents

I have several Kindles, an iPad Mini and an iPhone 4. I use Calibre to maintain my library. Where necessary, I convert my books to .MOBI format using Calibre.

I particularly like the fact that I can switch from one device to another, and they are automatically sync'ed for me from the cloud. This is my main reason for loading my books onto the Amazon Personal Documents page, using Amazon's Send to Kindle app.

I switch from my Kindle to my iPhone Kindle app whenever I go out. I do not like carrying the Kindle out and about. This works well. On my return, I take up with the Kindle, and the process is seamless.

Thank you, Amazon.

I have seen that Amazon is promoting the .AZW3 format for use with Kindles, and I set about to use it for one of my books. However, I find I cannot load books in this format to the Amazon Personal Documents page. If I were using only the one device, this would not matter to me, but until Amazon accepts .AZW3 books on its Personal Documents page, I must continue to use .MOBI.

Am I overlooking something?

PS: This also militates against my using the new Edit Books feature Kovid has recently added to Calibre. It does not work with .MOBI books.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Nope. AZW3 or New Mobi is not supported by Personal Documents. I doubt it ever will seeing Amazon is moving away from book formats for pdocs. On the new Fires Mobi pdocs were limited in functions when the new Kindle Fires first came out they have fixed a few things since but the documents area is really more for office documents than sending a book to your Kindle now.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Try converting to mobi and select "both" for the "Mobi file type:" See the screenshot...

Amazon wants both formats together or mobi alone for compatibility with all devices. At least when I did it this way in the past, it worked.

Edit:
I'm talking about emailing documents to your kindle address. I haven't tried the "Send to Kindle" software.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	788
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	116706  

Last edited by JimmyR; 12-15-2013 at 02:27 AM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
BeeTee-Ess
You can try this uncommon procedure to upload azw3.
Take any epub book (book shouldn't be converted by Calibre) and convert it to mobi using kindlegen. Find application KindleUnpack at this forum and unpack your mobi with option "Split combination KF8 Kindle books". You'll obtain azw3 file. Rename this file either to .mobi or to .prc. Upload renamed file via Send-to-Kindle.
Sometimes uploading fails due to unexplained reasons but in most cases azw3 successfully uploads.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbokJunkie View Post
BeeTee-Ess
You can try this uncommon procedure to upload azw3.
Take any epub book (book shouldn't be converted by Calibre) and convert it to mobi using kindlegen. Find application KindleUnpack at this forum and unpack your mobi with option "Split combination KF8 Kindle books". You'll obtain azw3 file. Rename this file either to .mobi or to .prc. Upload renamed file via Send-to-Kindle.
Sometimes uploading fails due to unexplained reasons but in most cases azw3 successfully uploads.
Yes, I've heard that part of why azw3 gets rejected is because Amazon doesn't trust 3rd party coversions. Apparently KDP uploads suffer from the same problem.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
I installed the Send to kindle Software this morning and did a few tests. All the files I converted with Calibre to mobi:both were accepted either through email or Send to Kindle. I ended up with AZW3 files from the personal document service.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post
I installed the Send to kindle Software this morning and did a few tests. All the files I converted with Calibre to mobi:both were accepted either through email or Send to Kindle. I ended up with AZW3 files from the personal document service.
That's correct - dual Mobi/KF8 files work fine. It's just "pure" KF8 files that don't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's correct - dual Mobi/KF8 files work fine. It's just "pure" KF8 files that don't.
Unfortunately they don't for me. I don't know why I think Amazon forgot to update some accounts. If I send a hybrid It gives me the old mobi instead of KF8.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I have my convert to .MOBI set to 'Both.' I shall experiment with changing the resulting extension to .AZW3, and see what happens.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote