Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
duncombe
duncombe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
getting metadata from source file

I have a series of documents as html files that I want to load into calibre and convert them to mobi and epub. The documents are kind of raw ocr still, requiring editing to fix typos and layout etc. I can catch most of the mistakes before loading the file for the first time, but a lot of them only get noticed after the conversion is done. Then I have to go back to the source, edit, and reload. Is there a way of replacing the file in calibre without having to re-enter the metadata in calibre. It would be nice to have the metadata in the file itself but I cannot figure out how to enter the information in the html file so that calibre recognizes it. I am new to calibre and my html is rusty, so help would be appreciated!
duncombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Just hit E to bring up the single edit dialog for a book, then drag/drop your html onto the Formats area. Doing it this way will replace an existing format (in your case the html file will get turned into a zip file, so it will replace the existing zip entry).

Then just click OK, and do your conversion. None of the metadata for that book will have been touched.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
duncombe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Just hit E to bring up the single edit dialog for a book, then drag/drop your html onto the Formats area. Doing it this way will replace an existing format (in your case the html file will get turned into a zip file, so it will replace the existing zip entry).

Then just click OK, and do your conversion. None of the metadata for that book will have been touched.
Okay! It works! Thanks!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
duncombe

And if it is permitted I can add to that and answer my own question: the meta data can be placed in the <head></head> section of the HTML file and calibre will read them in. There may be other standard fields, but the ones that really interest me, and work the way I expect them to are

<meta name="Title" content="The Title of the Book" />
<meta name="Author" content="Book Author" />
<meta name="Tags" content="Desired,Tags" />
<meta name="Date of publication" content="YYYY" />

Then to replace the volume in the calibre library I can delete the out-of-date version and get and convert the new version with updated metadata.