Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
5 Lesser Known Reasons to Give a Kindle

This was an interesting, kind of amusing article that gets into some of the stuff Amazon and Kindles are involved with. Did anybody know Amazon was working on building space ships? I followed one of the links and apparently they are also trying to build a clock that lasts 10,000 years. I guess they've come a long ways from just selling books!

http://fireapps.blogspot.com/2011/11...ve-kindle.html
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Ha. A Kindle could get you into space. That gave me a hearty chuckle.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Ha. A Kindle could get you into space. That gave me a hearty chuckle.
Yeah, definitely kind of tongue in cheek.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
vigna04
vigna04 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Yea, I've heard about the clock thing a while ago. Still can't really come up with a good reason why they're doing it other than PR.
vigna04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigna04 View Post
Yea, I've heard about the clock thing a while ago. Still can't really come up with a good reason why they're doing it other than PR.
Yeah, it is really puzzling why they might be doing that. Is there any chance it could help out with their algorithms? Tracking data or something? I really have no idea, but I kind of like that Amazon has a handful of completely weird pet projects.
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
These are projects funded by Jeff Bezos, rather than being owned by Amazon. The $42 million donation, plus the site, for the first Clock of the Long Now isn't relatively any more than many people spend on hobbies (see A cultural thought experiment for Charlie Stross on the very rich). The rocket ship appears to be a serious commercial effort, but I would not give it more than a 1% to 5% chance of making a go of it.

By the way, Neal Stephenson's Anathem was partly inspired by his involvement with the Clock of the Long Now project. The project is perhaps crazy, but in a interesting way.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
These are projects funded by Jeff Bezos, rather than being owned by Amazon. The $42 million donation, plus the site, for the first Clock of the Long Now isn't relatively any more than many people spend on hobbies (see A cultural thought experiment for Charlie Stross on the very rich). The rocket ship appears to be a serious commercial effort, but I would not give it more than a 1% to 5% chance of making a go of it.

By the way, Neal Stephenson's Anathem was partly inspired by his involvement with the Clock of the Long Now project. The project is perhaps crazy, but in a interesting way.
Thanks for the links. Those were interesting. I didn't realize there were lots of things people were doing like that. Yeah, 1% to 5% sounds about right, but it could be amazing if it paid off!