Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
North19
Enthusiast
North19 began at the beginning.

Device: entourage eDGe, pocket eDGe, kindle
Bookmarklets on the edge?

I'm trying to get bookmarklets to work on the eDGe. Anyone have any luck? I've tried Dolphin Mini, Dolphin HD, Skyfire, and Opera Mini. I understoof that Opera Mini should be able to use bookmarklets, but I'm having no luck, even when I manually install them by cutting and pasting the javascript into the bookmark address. Then I click them while on a webpage and nothing happens, even though java is enabled.

I'm primarily missing "read it Later" (which exists as an apk for Android but all the files I've found online are either Android Market links or apparently pirated Pro versions. I'd be more than willing to buy the $3 pro version, but android market won't let me and I don't want to steal it.

I'd also hoped to get the bookmarklet for dotEpub.com so that I could save websites as epubs from some other more stable browser than the default EE/PE browser, thus consoling me for losing that feature as an automatic option in the default eDGe browser. (Boat seems fairly stable, as does Opera Mini, though Opera Mini looks clunky so far on the eDGe).

Any ideas for getting bookmarklets to work?
North19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Check out this workaround: http://blog.chivil.com/post/2010/09/...on-Android-2.2
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
This workaround almost works using Opera Mini 6. Some websites, like dotEpub.com in particular, will have a Manual Installation link which you can click and then you need to long press and copy the code into the address field of a new bookmark. I can go to a webpage and activate the bookmarklet for dotEpub.com and the Edge will download the ePub, however when I try to open the ePub the Edge says it cannot be opened. Still playing around with it to see if I can get it to work.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
North19
Enthusiast
North19 began at the beginning.

Device: entourage eDGe, pocket eDGe, kindle
Let me know if you get it working; I've had no luck.

I did find an option to get the Dolphin add-ons in a one zipped file, and the read it later add-on does work. (There's also a neat useful Dolphin "reader" add-on that creates an on-the-fly text-only no-ads display of the webpage, but you can't save it... arggh. At least it makes reading longer webpages much easier.)

But I really miss that "one-click and you've got an epub" feature in the default browser. Epubs are so much easier to read for longer documents. I know I can dotEpub with my desktop and then sugarsync or dropbox them to the EE or PE. But I liked the integration.

I've found a couple online programs that convert html to epub if you save the html, but that's an annoying extra step too.
North19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Sounds interesting. If you guys figure out how to get this to work, I'd like to know!
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
sabman
sabman began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post

This workaround is pretty neat and it worked on the Dolphin Browser HD. I used to add the Delicious Bookmarklet and now I can book mark pages just fine.

I also created a bookmarklet that would let me extract the URL off my university library pages and open it in a new page. I did this because it used to embed the pdf (of the technical papers) in a frame which did not show up at all in my browser. But I used some simple Javascript code and I now get an option to view it my PDF reader.
sabman is offline   Reply With Quote