Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #106
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
No Kindle is Blu-Ray - The least used format that was proprietry,
HD-DVD - Epub. the universal format.

Look who won.
Heh. And here I was thinking of a Betamax vs. VHS metaphor...

*creak*
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #107
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert View Post
CRussel, agreed! I'm in that process now. MY wish is to not need to do it. When I bought a CD for my Sony CD player I didn't need to convert it in order to play it on my Denon CD player. Reason why? Common format.
I think we all wish that we didn't have to do that. Until that day comes, I am doing what I can to make sure I can access my books if I choose to change ereaders.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #108
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Until that day comes, I am doing what I can to make sure I can access my books if I choose to change ereaders.
Very wise.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #109
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
So there will be no epub support on kindle then?
Are libraries really going to repurchase all their ebooks in azw?
That seems like a really huge expense.

Maybe I missed it, but is this US only?
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #110
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post

It's not currently known how this will be implemented. Maybe Amazon is adding epub support; maybe they're sending their own ebook files through OverDrive's DRM system; maybe it's something else. We'll just have to wait and see.

Libraries will not be required to purchase azw specific licenses according to this announcement to libraries from OverDrive:
Quote:
Your existing collection of downloadable eBooks will be available to Kindle customers. As you add new eBooks to your collection, those titles will also be available in Kindle format for lending to Kindle and Kindle reading apps. Your library will not need to purchase any additional units to have Kindle compatibility. This will work for your existing copies and units.
Yes, for now, this is U.S. only.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #111
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Totally agree. Is it just me, or does it seem that it's only the consumers that get screwed.

I'm ticked because I thought I made an intelligent decision to buy an epub reader, and now I have a corporation changing the rules so that it may not have been the best decision after all.
Who changed the rules and what rule did they change?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #112
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:

It's my understanding that libraries won't have to repurchase e-books. As for if it's U.S. only, I would imagine that, like most changes Amazon makes with the way Kindle works, it'll be rolled out to the U.S. customers first, and to the rest of the world later (e.g., how they handled the lending feature).
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #113
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I was at my library today (my contrarian 13yo daughter prefers DTBs) (aren't all 13yo girls contrary?).

I wrote them a check with the stipulation that it be used for ebooks. The head librarian was fine with that.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #114
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yep! My next eink device will be a Kindle. *gasp* Can't wait to see if a new Kindle will appear at the end of the year.
Wohoo!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #115
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I think we all wish that we didn't have to do that. Until that day comes, I am doing what I can to make sure I can access my books if I choose to change ereaders.
Exactly. Though I think of this as simple backups to prevent loss. I'd do that regardless, but in this case it requires an extra step to ensure it can be read wherever. I'm OK with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert View Post
CRussel, agreed! I'm in that process now. MY wish is to not need to do it. When I bought a CD for my Sony CD player I didn't need to convert it in order to play it on my Denon CD player. Reason why? Common format.
Even when impulse buying gets me to download immediately from Amazon (and it does happen), I always connect up to Calibre at the earliest opportunity and convert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Very wise.
And your efforts to make that easier are very much appreciated. Very much.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #116
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Oh no. HarperCollins is going to claim that electronic books wear out much faster when people are using them for Kindling. Libraries will have to buy them again after two loans now.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #117
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
It's my understanding that libraries won't have to repurchase e-books. As for if it's U.S. only, I would imagine that, like most changes Amazon makes with the way Kindle works, it'll be rolled out to the U.S. customers first, and to the rest of the world later (e.g., how they handled the lending feature).
yep. that's usually how they do it.
it'll be interesting to see how this works. hopefully they add epub support.
that, with the ability to borrow library books, would be a double win for amazon.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #118
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
yep. that's usually how they do it.
it'll be interesting to see how this works. hopefully they add epub support.
that, with the ability to borrow library books, would be a double win for amazon.
I doubt they'll add ePub support. My understanding is that OverDrive is going to be handling the lending/licensing, so that when you borrow a title, you'll get fed whatever format you need, whether it's ePub or PDF.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #119
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
It's not currently known how this will be implemented. Maybe Amazon is adding epub support; maybe they're sending their own ebook files through OverDrive's DRM system; maybe it's something else.
Given that bookmarks and annotations will migrate to a purchased copy of the same ebook, the lending library version must be identical to the Kindle store version (i.e. AZW or TOPAZ, not ePub). So my guess is that OverDrive will give you a ticket that the Kindle Store redeems. That is already the way that Adobe DRM redemption works after all.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #120
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
No Kindle is Blu-Ray - The least used format that was proprietry,
HD-DVD - Epub. the universal format.

Look who won.
The technologically more advanced high definition DVD format won.

ePub is the technologically advanced format. You do the math.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote