Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
Cgray
Cgray began at the beginning.

Device: none
Has anyone managed to irreversibly brick their nook?

I know it's difficult, or supposedly impossible, but have their been *any* reports of someone managing to totally, utterly, chuck it in the trash, brick their nook via any modding method other than a hammer?
Cgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
swallman
Enthusiast
swallman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I haven't heard of anyone doing it. Since it always will boot off an SD card first (built into the hardware that way), all you need to do is have a bootable SD card and from there you can restore the original firmware back to the internal memory of the NC.

I would say if one got bricked, it would be due to overclocking or a real hardware failure of some sort.
swallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
Cgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by swallman View Post

I would say if one got bricked, it would be due to overclocking or a real hardware failure of some sort.
And I assume the autonooter root doesn't overclock-- that's something you have to deliberately, knowingly do? (yes, I'm a android newb).
Old 03-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgray View Post
And I assume the autonooter root doesn't overclock-- that's something you have to deliberately, knowingly do? (yes, I'm a android newb).
That's correct, you need to replace the kernel to overclock. I believe the process requires ClockWork recovery as well.

I agree with the previous poster, the only way to brick the device would be if the internal flash memory got damaged, but even then you should be able to boot and use it from a SD card. Other hardware faults would prevent that of course.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:40 AM   #5
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I've heard of a few people that managed to do it, and returned their Nooks to B&N (one got in a flamefight with a B&N manager guy over at xda). But they probably just didn't want to bother with extended troubleshooting.

No one with any real knowledge has managed it. There's been solutions for almost everything as long as people were willing to work on it for a few hours.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
YosserHughes
YosserHughes began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
I know it's difficult, or supposedly impossible, but have their been *any* reports of someone managing to totally, utterly, chuck it in the trash, brick their nook via any modding method other than a hammer?
I did, see this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...52#post1412452 thread.

I sent it back to customer care and received a new one *next day*, I'm still waiting for them to tell me it was because I rooted it, been almost two weeks and nothing yet.

I rooted the new one and it works like a charm.
YosserHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
Cgray

That sounds a bit like a hardware failure-- did you try to boot from the sd card?

One quick question, is the 1.0 operating system in the nook flashable or is that a rom that can't be changed? I've heard threads that imply that it's a permanent Rom, and wouldnt' that mean that as long as you were willing to start from scratch, unbricking should be easy?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
It is no more possible to brick a NookColor through operating system modifications than it is to brick a desktop PC through operating system modifications, due to both supporting bootable removable media.

All reports of "bricked" NCs have actually been reports of people who weren't willing or able to make the effort of fixing it.

Last edited by RoboRay; 03-12-2011 at 01:24 PM.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Quote:
That sounds a bit like a hardware failure-- did you try to boot from the sd card?
I'd bet cookies to donuts it was a corrupted or wiped /boot partition. Those are the typical symptoms for a bad /boot. If so, it was fixable by booting from SD and restoring it.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote