Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #16
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Can you confirm that there is no way for a cursory OR a detailed examination to tell that a device used to be rooted, but is now flashed back to the original settings?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #17
JoeSchmoo
JoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color
I'm not at all concerned about the warranty--I'm sure if I end up with a warranty issue that the restore procedure will pass muster at my local B&N where I bought the device (anyway, I'm using Square Trade). At this point I feel that my Nook Color will live a long and happy life unless I drop it or spill something on it--neither issue being related to rooting.

I do have a slight worry that the restore won't be complete enough to allow the eagerly anticipated 2.2 Froyo update. I'm not too worried, though, as it seems apparent that the geniuses at XDA-Dev have the "mad skillz" to create a new and improved root after the new update (supposedly in January).
JoeSchmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #18
debteb
Connoisseur
debteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litter

Device: NOOKcolor, EVO, HP Touchpad
I think the rooted NC is much more appealing to me, so would care less about voiding the warranty.
debteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #19
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This thread needs a poll.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #20
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Can you confirm that there is no way for a cursory OR a detailed examination to tell that a device used to be rooted, but is now flashed back to the original settings?
Again, your question is from the perspective of someone who does not understand what is being done when you root and what is being done when you flash back to a clean stock rom and restore factory settings.

If you educate yourself on these two things you will be able to draw your own conclusions. And be confident that you are correct.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #21
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This thread needs a poll.
Why? I'm interested in people's thought process.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #22
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Again, your question is from the perspective of someone who does not understand what is being done when you root and what is being done when you flash back to a clean stock rom and restore factory settings.

If you educate yourself on these two things you will be able to draw your own conclusions. And be confident that you are correct.

I understand it very well.

Can you confirm your assertion from page one, or are you not going to do it? I'll just drop it if you are not going to do it.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #23
SCION
Séduisant

If you understood it, you wouldn't have to ask the question. Get over it already. It's getting old.

If you approached us with "Hey, I don't have a full grasp of what goes on behind the scenes when you root. How can I educate myself on this subject?," you wouldn't come off as being an antagonist.

Last edited by SCION; 12-25-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #24
RockdaMan
Banned

Ok, dropped. But for the record I just asked for clarification of this never editted post which implies that techs can't find any evidence of rootin tootin behaviour.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=12
Old 12-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #25
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Ok, dropped. But for the record I just asked for clarification of this never editted post which implies that techs can't find any evidence of rootin tootin behaviour.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=12
Great, I look forward to the answer as it relates to B&N service techs.

Edit: Oh, I misread. I thought you were seeking clarification (from mikewrenn) about the phrase that you quoted earlier.

Why didn't you ask mikewrenn about this statement?

"You can certainly revert to stock, but people are saying that not everything is reversed, and that B&N service personnel will be able to tell."

Last edited by SCION; 12-25-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: changed assertion to statement
Old 12-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #26
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Why didn't you ask mikewrenn about this assertion?

"You can certainly revert to stock, but people are saying that not everything is reversed, and that B&N service personnel will be able to tell."
I took it as gospel until you contradicted it and indicated you worked for the manufacturer.

Closer to the source, so I figured you had better info.

Edit: Why did you not contradict him when he first said it?
Old 12-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #27
SCION
Séduisant

Because I know what the B&N process is. I'm not looking for confirmation/clarification of anything. I don't have to shout my intimate knowledge of stuff from the roof tops.

You, on the other hand, are looking for confirmation of stuff. You should have probed more deeply with him/her. I guess you didn't because it was what you wanted to hear and thus wanted to pass along to others. Again, playing the role of an antagonist.

Last edited by SCION; 12-25-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #28
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Because I know what the B&N process is. I'm not looking for confirmation/clarification of anything. I don't have to shout my intimate knowledge of stuff from the roof tops.

Well, thank you much for helping us little people out.

Off to eat and do some reading.

Edit...you guys should check out bn's sale. It's in the freebie section of the site. I'm grabbing some stuff.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 12-25-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #29
s52m3
Enthusiast
s52m3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have no warranty concerns. I want a newer OS more than unlocked current OS. Meaning I want Android 2.2 more than the current rooting. I want to see what happens if/when 2.2 comes out from B&N.
s52m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:40 AM   #30
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
I took it as gospel until you contradicted it and indicated you worked for the manufacturer.
The thing is, the onus of proof is on the initial statement, not the person who contradicts it. The original statement must be proven first.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote