Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 05:15 AM   #61
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
The lending function was announced by "The Amazon Kindle team" to be available for all Kindles until end of this year (2010).

Really, i doubt they will stay to their word as there are not many days left and still no sign of the long awaited update for the KDXG.

Bad Karma for Amazon if that's true
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #62
carterw
carterw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
3 days left for their words.

I have no expectation at all.
carterw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #63
wdreamsmaycome
wdreamsmaycome is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 3, ipod touch 1st gen
I guess given that the lending didn't require a new firmware the odds of a DX update are getting slimmer...
wdreamsmaycome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #64
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdreamsmaycome View Post
I guess given that the lending didn't require a new firmware the odds of a DX update are getting slimmer...
Agreed. I now think we're not going to get a firmware update for the DXG at all.
Best to wait for the next model, if you want to use any features other than basic reading.
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #65
pit_software
pit_software began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Thumbs down

Got the same unprofessional response from Amazon:

Quote:
Hello,

The most recent version of Kindle software for Kindle (2nd Generation) and Kindle DX is 2.5. The most recent software for Kindle (Latest Generation) is 3.0.2.

The software update for Kindle (Latest Generation) includes general feature enhancements.

If your Kindle does not have the latest software, it's free and easy to download and install the update manually by following the instructions on the Kindle Software Updates Help page:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates
I believe they don't care about Kindle DX customers at all. Shame on you, Amazon. My DX will be returned tomorrow.
pit_software is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #66
phili
Zealot
phili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit_software View Post

My DX will be returned tomorrow.
Nevertheless, it´s a good Reading-Device, even without Software-Update.
Of course, I want this update too, but I would never return my Kindle only for this reason.
phili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #67
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit_software View Post
I believe they don't care about Kindle DX customers at all. Shame on you, Amazon. My DX will be returned tomorrow.
Totally agree.

Unfortunately i can't return my KDXG as the timeframe expired. Waited too long for lending and hoping for new firmware.

If that's the way Amazon treats customers of their high end product then i'm not going to buy from them at all or recommend them to others.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #68
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
My guess is Amazon is afraid too many DX owners will use the 3g web a lot, causing them to have a large bill from ATT. Yes, the browser, even webkit, is hokey, but on the large screen it would be pretty useful vs. the regular Kindle's smaller screen.

Hope Amazon doesn't lock down browsing to Wifi only, like the nook and PRS-950. That would be horrible...
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #69
reech
Connoisseur
reech doesn't litterreech doesn't litter

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600
Like Apple, Amazon kiss and wave goodbye to their previous generation tech; I think that's the risk people have in buying a product hoping that something more will happen to it later.

I bought a Kindle3 for the things it can do *now* - I'm fully prepared for Kindle4 to have some features that I'd love, but that won't turn up for me. I think anyone who'd avoid future Kindles just because they haven't got a feature they want now - or they believed comments from non-trained sales reps - shouldn't cut their nose off to spite their face; your device does what you *need*; sadly, it doesn't do what you *want*.
reech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #70
SkyDream
Wizard

The little K3 got PDF Annotations but the big high end KDXG does not.
That makes sense.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #71
warlock07
Enthusiast
warlock07 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
One more disgruntled Kindle DX user here...
I think they have decided that having good pdf reading capabilities on DX is bad for their business(Kindle ebook store). Hence the overprioced device too...
and yeah..
Hi all.......
warlock07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #72
KRorschachZ
Update
KRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litter

Device: kindle DX graphite, we need update/firmware with optios PDF Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
The little K3 got PDF Annotations but the big high end KDXG does not.
That makes sense.
and K3 read pdf with pasword open, and kindle DX can not read pdf with password users...

That makes sense.

I want a betted DX graphitte with PDF support and WIFI.
KRorschachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #73
carterw
carterw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
u know what, that just sux.

after 1 month of waiting , still no news about new firmware.

I will properly use dukon software then.
carterw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:23 AM   #74
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
amazon's software development teams are a joke...they're not a software company and it's painfully clear how amateur they are in this space.

i'm using Duokan for my pdf work now....it's actually far more efficient and competently implemented than Kindle OS. the render times are over twice as quick than the shoddy Amazon firmware.

i'm just as annoyed as you guys but instead of wasting my time complaining on here (which will achieve nothing) we need to write a letter to their cocky little CEO. he was recently preaching on tv how his company is 100% customer focussed.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:02 AM   #75
rty
Zealot
rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle DXG, Kindle Paperwhite
We paid more for Kindle DXG yet we are being discriminated by Amazon. That makes sense.
rty is offline   Reply With Quote