Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
Epuppy
Epuppy began at the beginning.

Device: SonyETouch
Confusion

Hello
Thank you for the great site. I find it hard to know what I am reading...lol..being an E-Puppy...I just received a new Sony Touch Screen 650 yesterday for my anniversary. I've downloaded a few free ebooks onto my laptop and now I don't know what to do. Where do I put them on my Ereader? So scared to mess around with it. I also noted you all are talking about organizers. Any advice would be helpful.
Epuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
(This should be in the Sony subforum, not in the Workshop forum. Maybe a moderator can move it.)

Didn't your Sony come with library software? Use it to send files to and from your reader.

Or if you'll mainly use it with free books downloaded online, then you can use calibre.

Don't worry too much though. If you copy the file over the reader directly, the reader will find almost anywhere you put it, and unless you start deleting stuff other than your books, you won't do any harm.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Epuppy

Oops sorry thought I was in the right place...
No my touch 650 didn't come with any software.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Epuppy

When you get your problem sorted...come on over and introduce yourself.

Feel free to use the link below.....lots of friendly people here!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Epuppy

I don't know if I sound "stupid" but how come this thing doesn't show pictures in color? Also, once I loaded some pictures and books onto it...it seems to flash a few times in between pics as if to "refresh" them? Ever since I downloaded the books onto it and pictures it is acting weird and flashing in between the pages as I turn them as if trying to focus?

Last edited by Epuppy; 10-17-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 03:50 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epuppy View Post
Oops sorry thought I was in the right place...
No my touch 650 didn't come with any software.
Mine did. As soon as I connected my Sony PRS 650 to my computer - with the reader turned on - the software installed itself. I'd be surprised if yours doesn't have software, and if it hasn't would consider returning it for a new one.

Of course learning how to use Sony reader software is another question. I think you'll get answers for your problem on the Sony forum, and if the moderator doesn't move the thread I suggest you ask again there.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epuppy View Post
I don't know if I sound "stupid" but how come this thing doesn't show pictures in color? Also, once I loaded some pictures and books onto it...it seems to flash a few times in between pics as if to "refresh" them? Ever since I downloaded the books onto it and pictures it is acting weird and flashing in between the pages as I turn them as if trying to focus?
E-Ink can only display greyscale. It is not a color technology. The flashing you see when turning pages is inherent in all E-Ink displays. Sony readers, Kindles, Nooks, Cybooks, etc. all behave this way.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
perilous
perilous has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-650
Smile

Congratulations Epuppy! What a fantastic gift.
The Sony "Reader Library" software is supplied on the Sony Reader itself (it isn't shipped on a seperate CD). If you are using a MS Windows operating system, when you plug your 650 into the PC two portable drive will show up in Windows Explorer labelled READER and SETTING.

READER contains all your books, pictures etc.
SETTING contains the Sony Reader Library software installer

You can install the Sony software simply by opening SETTING and executig the file "Setup Reader Library for Windows.exe"

Or alternatively you can use the excellent Calibre ebook management software, available for download from:

http://www.calibre-ebook.com/

With regards to the screen flash, this is normal for an e-ink display. It is done to prevent ghosting when the display changes. You soon get used to it and it doesn't detract from the reading experience at all (though it is a bit annoying for vieiwing pictures).

Enjoy your reader
perilous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Congrats on your gift! You can find a PDF version of the PRS-650 User Guide at this link.
http://docs.sony.com/release/PRS650.pdf
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your new company, ePuppy. I've not touched Sony software since downloading Calibre library software a couple of years ago. It's streets ahead. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote