Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #31
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
I have the same here in Windows7 32 bit, and beta 2. Freezes on exit, the file gets deleted from the source folder.

Art
Thanks for the confirm. I would say this is a big OUCH! 2 O/S affected.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #32
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
I have the same here in Windows7 32 bit, and beta 2. Freezes on exit, the file gets deleted from the source folder.

Art
Exit or save?

The file is deleted because in the process of saving a file, Sigil first deletes it and then saves a new one. This was added because it solved some saving issues for other users. I'll remove that little "feature" since it seems to be doing more harm than good. But the problem is that the other part of the save process, the actual saving, fails.

I still don't know why. It happens for users of different OSs, with different machines. I still can't reproduce it.

I've just looked at the zipping code... remember when I said I added a mechanism to trap the error and display debug info? It appears that code is not in the main tree. Hm... I don't know what I did wrong in the repo merge process, but that little changeset is not there.

Ok, so the next beta will have a dialog pop up with debug info if a problem occurs during save. When that happens, paste all that into a new issue and I'll hopefully be able to finally fix this annoying bug. It also shouldn't crash anymore, just fail to save (with the error dialog).

And it won't delete your file.

EDIT: The code is now in trunk. If anyone having this issue could build Sigil from source and report the debug info, please do so.

Last edited by Valloric; 03-14-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Exit or save?

The file is deleted because in the process of saving a file, Sigil first deletes it and then saves a new one. This was added because it solved some saving issues for other users. I'll remove that little "feature" since it seems to be doing more harm than good. But the problem is that the other part of the save process, the actual saving, fails.

I still don't know why. It happens for users of different OSs, with different machines. I still can't reproduce it.

I've just looked at the zipping code... remember when I said I added a mechanism to trap the error and display debug info? It appears that code is not in the main tree. Hm... I don't know what I did wrong in the repo merge process, but that little changeset is not there.

Ok, so the next beta will have a dialog pop up with debug info if a problem occurs during save. When that happens, paste all that into a new issue and I'll hopefully be able to finally fix this annoying bug. It also shouldn't crash anymore, just fail to save (with the error dialog).

EDIT: The code is now in trunk. If anyone having this issue could build Sigil from source and report the debug info, please do so.
A SAVE that never ends and hangs everything until the task is killed.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #34
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Exit or save?

Saving while exiting. I had edited the files, made some minor changes, ran the TOC editor, saved that, then clicked on the Windows "X" (close) icon, sigil asked if I wanted to save, said yes, and then it hung. Sat there for some 10 minutes ate 60-80% CPU, until I decided it was not going to recover and I used task manager to close it.

Tried multiple times with different file (all created with calibre) and same result.

CRAP!, new laptop, I have to download and install all that jazz to compile this thing.

Art
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #35
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Can't seem to find the URL for the svn snapshot. Couls you post that?

Art

never mind, found it.

Last edited by artbatista; 03-14-2010 at 10:12 PM.
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #36
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Same problem on Xubuntu 9.10 64bit. Start new project and save it - OK. Add a couple of chapters save it - OK. Add image file save it - 100% cpu usage, no exit and deletes saved file on programme exit via close. Add whole load of text as 1 section and save - OK. Add same text as several sections and save - OK. Create whole book with lots of sections and formatting headings etc. - OK. Add image file - 100% cpu usage and file lost.

It seems the 100% usage may be connected with adding image files?

Last edited by weedfreak; 03-15-2010 at 07:13 AM.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #37
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 100% CPU load + hang when saving files with spaces in the filename has already been fixed, and will be in the next beta.

The other saving problem, the one I haven't been able to reproduce is the crash-on-save issue, not the hang.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #38
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
The hang errors I posted above were for a file with no spaces in. Everything I normally do seems to save OK except if I add an image file. I just noticed though that the image file name had a space in it, would that also cause the hanging?
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #39
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedfreak View Post
The hang errors I posted above were for a file with no spaces in. Everything I normally do seems to save OK except if I add an image file. I just noticed though that the image file name had a space in it, would that also cause the hanging?
I was talking about the files inside the archive, not the filename of the epub archive itself.

So yes, the image having a space in the name is causing this. Remove the space and you'll see the problem go away.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #40
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I was talking about the files inside the archive, not the filename of the epub archive itself.

So yes, the image having a space in the name is causing this. Remove the space and you'll see the problem go away.
Isn't that a rather massive undertaking with references to be maintained?
Or is there a tool (OS independent) to do the check and fixes?
Old 03-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #41
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Isn't that a rather massive undertaking with references to be maintained?
Or is there a tool (OS independent) to do the check and fixes?
A good tool to do that would be the next Sigil beta, which handles spaces in filenames. You can build from trunk right now, the fixes are already there. But even the current beta will update all references when you rename a file.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #42
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
A good tool to do that would be the next Sigil beta, which handles spaces in filenames. You can build from trunk right now, the fixes are already there. But even the current beta will update all references when you rename a file.
Sorry, I don't think I want to attempt a "build" from source at this time. Will wait
Old 03-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #43
Valloric

Quote:
Sorry, I don't think I want to attempt a "build" from source at this time. Will wait
Did you see the last sentence of my previous post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric
But even the current beta will update all references when you rename a file.
So you can use the current beta to rename your files.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #44
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Did you see the last sentence of my previous post?

So you can use the current beta to rename your files.
Are there more than 1 2.0B2 versions for Linux 32bit?,
'cuz that was what hung-deaded my file
Old 03-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #45
Valloric

Quote:
Are there more than 1 2.0B2 versions for Linux 32bit?,
'cuz that was what hung-deaded my file
Ok, one more time.

The next beta will have this issue fixed, and you'll be able to save epub files with spaces in content files filenames without seeing a hang.

In the current beta you can just rename those problematic files right in the Book Browser, and Sigil will update all the references. This is just a workaround.