Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FBReader 0.8.4

The 0.8.3 version significantly improved MobiPocket and OEB support and 0.8.4 adds interface localization (i.e. labels provided by language specific .xml files). On the Iliad, the localization capability can be used to shorten the config tab labels so that all the tabs fit on the screen, and that in turn should allow user-specified keybindings. I have confirmed on my PepperPad that editing /usr/share/FBReader/resources/en.xml changes the tabs (e.g. I replaced value="General" with value="Gen." and that became the tab's label).

So, this is probably a good time to update FBReader for the Iliad.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The 0.8.3 version significantly improved MobiPocket and OEB support and 0.8.4 adds interface localization (i.e. labels provided by language specific .xml files). On the Iliad, the localization capability can be used to shorten the config tab labels so that all the tabs fit on the screen, and that in turn should allow user-specified keybindings. I have confirmed on my PepperPad that editing /usr/share/FBReader/resources/en.xml changes the tabs (e.g. I replaced value="General" with value="Gen." and that became the tab's label).

So, this is probably a good time to update FBReader for the Iliad.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll work on the new version tomorrow.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:49 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'll work on the new version tomorrow.
Adam, the porting genius
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:53 AM   #4
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
Hmmm I have a problem.
I uninstalled fbreader on the internal meory of the iliad, but in programs I still see fbreader and uninstall fbreader. I am unable to remove the directories, not on the iliad and not via windows vista using the memory as usb device.
I have no unix knowledge, so I am at a loss here. It looks half bricked now. Starting up gives halfway boot a black screen with a cross in the middle.
Luckily it does start and such but this is not normal.
Corrupted filesystem I fear.
I never used ssh and unix etc... help.

edit: reinstalling FBreader using compact flash resulted in normal iliad booting and working. Except that I am still stuck on the 2 directories in programs dir of the internal memory. The ilad "browser" shows both dirs as empty. Using windows browser connected to usb with pc shows in accesisble fbreader directory. So, this is not normal.

Last edited by DeGodefroi; 06-28-2007 at 07:28 AM.
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:42 AM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

I'm confused. It was booting to a black screen with an X in the middle? Did it look like this?

If that's the case, how were you able to reinstall FBReader?

So you aren't able to delete the folders from internal memory? It sounds like there's a problem with the internal fat filesystem. Try running scandisk or chkdisk on your iLiad when it's connected to your windows pc.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:20 AM   #6
DeGodefroi
Zealot

Hello Adam, yes it is like in the picture.
I was lucky that after 30 seconds then a white bar showed on the bottom and then it ended slowly in the normal screen with latest files etc. So in the end it did end up as it should be.
And luckily reinstall fbreader removed that weird screen.

The scandisk is actually a good idea! I will try that.

edit: yes it worked. Filesystem has been fixed.
Now 2 questions, 1. what does the downarrow actually do on fbreader? (up, dot, down arrow)
2. What is wrong if you get the iliad with the lovely cross/black screen? Is that boot sequence error or bricked totally? (I was lucky the boot continued to recent files).

Anyway THANKS for the help sofar!

Last edited by DeGodefroi; 06-29-2007 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:01 AM   #7
dedo
Enthusiast
dedo doesn't litterdedo doesn't litter

Device: iRex DR800
Alan: no more CF/MMC card version?
dedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:04 AM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedo View Post
Alan: no more CF/MMC card version?
I assume you're talking to me.

There's one version for everyone. The new installer will know where you want to install it, and automatically setup the necessary links.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:07 AM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGodefroi View Post
Now 2 questions, 1. what does the downarrow actually do on fbreader? (up, dot, down arrow)
2. What is wrong if you get the iliad with the lovely cross/black screen? Is that boot sequence error or bricked totally? (I was lucky the boot continued to recent files).

Anyway THANKS for the help sofar!
The down arrow will move to the next section inside a chm file. The dot will open full screen mode.

If you get the cross and black screen, it means that the operating system has started, but the contentlister (what you use to browse files) has not. This typically means there is a problem with the file that starts all of the programs after your device starts. But the FBReader install script doesn't touch that file. I can't imagine why you would have problems after uninstalling. For that matter, I don't know why it would be slow to start. I would assume it would start on time, or not at all.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:55 AM   #10
dedo
Enthusiast
dedo doesn't litterdedo doesn't litter

Device: iRex DR800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I assume you're talking to me.

There's one version for everyone. The new installer will know where you want to install it, and automatically setup the necessary links.
lol, sorry Adam, thanks for the reply.
dedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #11
DeGodefroi
Zealot

Adam,
whatever the cause, all works fine again. Thanks!
Except it is effing hard to click on the plusses in the library :-)
Old 07-05-2007, 12:34 AM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Adam,
whatever the cause, all works fine again. Thanks!
Yeah, I usually need three or four tries at least. Could they be replaced with slightly larger icons?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:14 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I filed a report on FBReader's Google Group ( "teeny tiny" + in library view, June 11), but have not had a response so far.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #14
MishaS
Connoisseur
MishaS is on a distinguished road

Device: Nokia N810/Nokia E51
Just for your information, we are expecting to receive an iLiad soonish So we'll have a better chance to fix all small and not so small things.
MishaS is offline   Reply With Quote