Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #16
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The following is very good:
DRAGON'S RING by Dave Freer (Baen Books)
Can be found at webscription for $6:
http://www.webscription.net/showprod...e=dragons-ring

Have not read it myself but I thought I would give it a try.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #17
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post

Tea with the Black Dragon is available in bits now—I recently purchased it over at Fictionwise (along with a bunch of other books by MacAvoy). Highly Recommended!

Xenophon
Just bought Tea with the Black Dragon over at Amazon is this a series of books or is it just one?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:07 AM   #18
lovelyloey
Enthusiast
lovelyloey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Great thread, I'm a big fan of the Temeraire series too.
Just finished the 5th book, eagerly waiting for the 6th in July 2010.
lovelyloey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:47 PM   #19
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
My wife just read Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley, and enjoyed it. We got it from Fictionwise.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #20
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post
My wife just read Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley, and enjoyed it. We got it from Fictionwise.
Seems like a good book. Now I've got several good tips from this thread.
I'm getting it from Amazon. Used to buy from Fictionwise with my Iliad but
since I got my Kindle I do most of the buying from Amazon.

In this case the book seems to be cheaper from Amazon for $6.39. Fictionwise sells it for regular: $7.99, club: $6.79
Old 02-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #21
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
I liked Elizabeth Kerner's Song in The Silence: The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, followed with The Lesser Kindred and Redeeming The Lost. I loved the first book, but never really got into the second one, and didn't know there was a third one out until just now.
Also, Marjorie B Kellogg's Dragon Quartet (The Book of Earth, The Book of Water, The Book of Fire, The Book of Air) is good, although a bit confusing at first.
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #22
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare of Earth View Post
I liked Elizabeth Kerner's Song in The Silence: The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, followed with The Lesser Kindred and Redeeming The Lost. I loved the first book, but never really got into the second one, and didn't know there was a third one out until just now.
Also, Marjorie B Kellogg's Dragon Quartet (The Book of Earth, The Book of Water, The Book of Fire, The Book of Air) is good, although a bit confusing at first.
I read Kerner's series too, and had the same thoughts (although I did read the third when I read the others).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:40 AM   #23
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
Just bought Tea with the Black Dragon over at Amazon is this a series of books or is it just one?
Yes there is a sequel to it called Twisting The Rope which was published 1986.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #24
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Tea with the Black Dragon is available in bits now—I recently purchased it over at Fictionwise (along with a bunch of other books by MacAvoy). Highly Recommended!
I just finished Tea with the Black Dragon. It was not a bad book but I wouldn't say it's a book about dragons, not in the typical sense anyway. People picking this up and expecting to read about dragons might get disappointed.

Last edited by thinkpad; 02-20-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #25
thinkpad
David

Time to begin on a new book. I think I'll start with:
Dragon-Champion by E.E Knight
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Champio.../dp/B001F0WXWM

I've also got Dragonhaven by Robin McKinely but this one will have to wait, I don't enjoy reading several books at the same time.

Last edited by thinkpad; 02-20-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:13 AM   #26
thinkpad
David

Just finished Dragon Champion. Now that was a good dragon book so I'm picking up the sequel "Dragon Avenger".
Old 03-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #27
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
I have to declare an interest here: this book is by my husband

Summon Your Dragons.

It's a free download on Smashwords.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:46 AM   #28
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Naomi Novik has been on my "look into" list for a while, perhaps it's about time I acted on that.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #29
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
Naomi Novik has been on my "look into" list for a while, perhaps it's about time I acted on that.
I thoroughly enjoyed them, and am looking forward to the next one.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #30
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Elizabeth Haydon's series, which I can't think of the name right now. The first is "Rhapsody." Great series.
It's called 'The Rhapsody Trilogy' and it has four books: Rhapsody, Prophecy, Destiny, and Requiem for the Sun.... a great series - dragons, time travel (sort of), a certain amount of magic, doomed romance --- everything!

Also - by S. Andrew Swan: Dragons of the Cuyahoga, and The Dwarves of Whiskey Island --- both action packed and take place in Cleveland, Ohio

have fun -
pholy
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote