Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The latest version (0.4) is up. It has all the sections, and lots of errors. I will upload a corrected version later tonight, and probably another couple versions over the weekend. This one is just for the early adopters.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:36 AM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am ready to upload the Epub and LRF versions at 0.5. I think they are finally good enough that I could stop. I will of course continue to refine the ebook, but don't expect me to update the Epub and LRF ebooks nearly as often as the Kindle version. The conversion to Epub has already hit 16 minutes and is using all of my system resources.

I will upload the files as soon as they are converted.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:37 AM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I can't upload the files yet. The conversion failed. I don't think calibre can handle such a big file.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #19
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

The latest version is up. Thanks to Joshua Tallent's book it is much prettier than before.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43704

There is no real reason to update; the data hasn't changed. But I think the added formatting makes it easier to read. At this point I'm really just doing it for myself. I want to have something that looks like a real reference book.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Australia is no longer a continent

The seventh continent is now called Oceania, and it is basically the chunk of Pacific Ocean south and west of Hawaii. Am I the only one who sees the absurdity of calling a body of water a continent?

I'm not going to delete references to it. While it's not a continent, I do think it's a useful geographic term. But I did edit some of the country listings to fix a redundancy like:

Quote:
Location: Oceania, island in the South Pacific Ocean between...
Old 04-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #21
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The seventh continent is now called Oceania, and it is basically the chunk of Pacific Ocean south and west of Hawaii. Am I the only one who sees the absurdity of calling a body of water a continent?
I've always learnt Oceania as the 5th continent, and Antarctica the 6th (the other 4 being Europe, Asia, Africa and America). Australia has always been a country (and an island/semi-continent) in my books. And you are right, it's more a geographic region than a continent in the sense of continental plate/platform, but if we are going to talk about land chunks, why are Asia and Europe separated? Where do Great Britain and Japan belong?

As I say, in my classification:

Great Britain is Europe, Greenland is America, Japan is Asia, Australia and Fidji are Oceania, the Canary islands and Madagascar are Africa...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I've always learnt Oceania as the 5th continent, and Antarctica the 6th (the other 4 being Europe, Asia, Africa and America). Australia has always been a country (and an island/semi-continent) in my books. And you are right, it's more a geographic region than a continent in the sense of continental plate/platform, but if we are going to talk about land chunks, why are Asia and Europe separated? Where do Great Britain and Japan belong?

As I say, in my classification:

Great Britain is Europe, Greenland is America, Japan is Asia, Australia and Fidji are Oceania, the Canary islands and Madagascar are Africa...
So you were taught that America is one continent, not 2? Interesting. I'm curious, when and where did you go to primary school? In the US in the mid '80s I was taught that there were 7 continents, and Australia was both a country and a continent. I'd like to know when that changed.

As for Europe and Asia, I agree. The division between the 2 is arbitrary. You could just as realistically divide Asia along the Himalayan Mountains. It makes about as much sense as a division at the Ural Mountains.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #23
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I vaguely remember being taught that America was both one and two continents - although I should probably clarify that I was taught these at different times!

I also recall being told at various times that the continent Australia and New Zealand belong to is variously Oceania or Australasia, but never just Australia.

And one geography teacher consistenly referred to Europe and Asia as Eurasia.

Greenland may be on the American continental plate, but it's definitely in Europe politically. When I was very young I always thought it odd that places like Greenland "belonged" to countries they physically weren't next to.

For reference point, I'm in the UK and went to primary school in the 70s and secondary school in the 80s.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #24
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
So you were taught that America is one continent, not 2? Interesting. I'm curious, when and where did you go to primary school?
In Spain, 20-something years ago. From here (and I guess from the rest of Europe too) the whole of America is seen as one big continent which can be divided in two or three regions or sub-continents, after all it's the "New World" for us (and Columbus arrived to an island, and both sub-continents were colonized more or less simultaneously). Indeed, it makes sense to talk about North America and South America, but Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, etc. belong to North America, which some people don't realize.

Also, we tend to see US-people calling their country "America" and themselves "Americans" as a rather arrogant attitude, since for us America extends from Argentina to Canada. But I understand it's just a habit and there's usually nothing arrogant in it, I consider it more a case of "false friends" between languages.

From our Europe-centric view, Asian countries and cultures were so different and alien that they couldn't be considered the same "area", I believe that's the main reason behind the division between Europe and Asia.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #25
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
And one geography teacher consistenly referred to Europe and Asia as Eurasia.
Yep, that's a common name too.

Quote:
Greenland may be on the American continental plate, but it's definitely in Europe politically.
Politically yes, but geographically it's America (for me), and the Canary Islands are Africa. I mention this because I often hear on the news and the like things like some of these islands being the southernmost point in Europe or other similar stupid things... If it's Europe because it belongs to Spain then the island of Réunion is also Europe because it belongs to France, and the Falklands/Malvinas belong to the UK...

Quote:
When I was very young I always thought it odd that places like Greenland "belonged" to countries they physically weren't next to.

For reference point, I'm in the UK and went to primary school in the 70s and secondary school in the 80s.
You must have thought the UK was a really odd country then
Old 04-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #26
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
You must have thought the UK was a really odd country then
Still do, in many ways
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Version 0.7 is up. This one has searchable indexes and it will work as a dictionary on most Mobipocket devices.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #28
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Version 0.7.3 is up. Some of the changes include:

an improved search page. You can now search by country, flag, and keyword. The keyword search mainly covers the contents of the appendices. I am slowly expanding it to the rest of the pages.

new links added to the flag pages. If a second flag is referenced (for example) as being similar, I linked to the corresponding flag page.

new lower quality reference maps that should work on older versions of MobiReader. I've checked, and I can just barely see the difference in quality. Please note that the resolution has not changed.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #29
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

The next version of the WFeB will include a number of new maps, including but not limited to Kashmir, Australia, Central Asia, Southern Asia, and Southeast Asia. I think I might also add a second Asia map. The current one isn't all that good.

It will take me a while to add all the links.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #30
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

It's up. I also fixed the appendices formatting.