Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #31
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
My only problem with my PW is the bright patches near the bottom. I'm on my 4th PW as I keep returning them for this reason. This one is better, but still not perfect.

To be honest my biggest complaint about this is they don't let you turn the light completely off, even at setting 0, and my eyes can still perceive the bright spots, even at light setting 0. Since I do most of my reading in lit rooms, I'd be happy to read with the light totally off (as I did on every other generation of Kindle) and simply put up with the bright spots during the limited length of time I actually *need* the light on.

Why oh why they can't put an option into the firmware to actually turn the light off, I'll never know.

I can't understand why they have higher than 4 for the light? I used in the bright room and had it at 3-4. Used in dark room 4 not quite right, 0-3 not right either. Wish you could micro adjust like Screen Dim app for KFHD. A bit of splotching for me either way in a dark room.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #32
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
Why oh why they can't put an option into the firmware to actually turn the light off, I'll never know.
I am really pissed about that, too. I feel patronized, as if being too dumb to handle the light of MY OWN freaking kindle properly.

My assumption is based on a comparison of the "whiteness"-factor of the screen. When I hold my old K keyboard next to the PW during daylight, the keyboard has in fact the "whiter" background, even with the PW having the light on (on 0, but as you said, it is still visible). Meaning if the light were totally off, the PW would just look terrible compared to the previous generations. Hence, to mask that, we are forced to keep the light on.

The two reasons I keep it though is the light is damn useful for night-time reading and the dictionary look-up is *so* much quicker & more convenient than on my keyboard.
miquele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #33
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I am fairly sure they did it so when you first turn it on in the darkness, you can see the screen. They could add something in the fimware to always have it turn on at least at setting 1, but then let you completely switch off the light if you so choose. Or let you select it in the settings, whether you want 0 to be really 0. If enough people cmplain about this, they'll push an update for it. Look how quickly they added the option to turn off Editor's Picks!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #34
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some news from a German thread

Someone in the German forum got an interesting response from a German Amazon CS rep yesterday, in regards to the color blotches: Amazon are aware of the issue, and the color blotches may have something to do with how the LEDs are being controlled, which could be fixable through a firmware update. Their labs are currently working on a fix. They suggested the customer keep his PW for now, and he can get a new unit in January if there are still issues.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #35
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Major revelation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Someone in the German forum got an interesting response from a German Amazon CS rep yesterday, in regards to the color blotches: Amazon are aware of the issue, and the color blotches may have something to do with how the LEDs are being controlled, which could be fixable through a firmware update. Their labs are currently working on a fix. They suggested the customer keep his PW for now, and he can get a new unit in January if there are still issues.
That seems to be in line with your personal logo: "They must have used multicolor LED's and finally realized it. ~ S. attempting to explain the colorful blobs on Kindle Paperwhite screens. "

Its too bad Amazon never mentioned it to all the folks who already returned their units.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #36
xendula
eBookworm

Sirmaru, that's me quoting you in my signature!! It's the one comment you made that made me laugh tears for at least a half an hour!! I still don't know if you were serious.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #37
Jesse83
Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle PW
Not sure about this whole debate of entirely turning the light off, what's the point? It's not like it's sucking that much juice. Can't you do that with some hack ?
Also I don't know about these blotchy spots, mine looks ok. I have something near the shadows at the bottom, like a very small rectangle of 5 pixels on 10 or something where there is no shadow at all, so since everywhere else there is the LEDs shadows, it looks weird.
But it's really super small and don't bother me I don't want to change it and have a worst one, as I hear a lot of people have problems!

Yet my PW crashed in less than 48h, scary, thought my unit was dead. Not sure how they would like if I asked to change it and they see I have hacks on it!
Jesse83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #38
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
It has ugly spots at bottom at nite, but I have trained myself to overlook them.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #39
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I am waiting patiently though somewhat apprehensively for all the problems with the PW to go away, and then I will try one.
My keyboard kindle is still there at the ready with never the slightest problem. Yes I am spoiled and happy about it too.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #40
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
That seems to be in line with your personal logo: "They must have used multicolor LED's and finally realized it. ~ S. attempting to explain the colorful blobs on Kindle Paperwhite screens. "

Its too bad Amazon never mentioned it to all the folks who already returned their units.
I doubt seriously if Amazon would be that stupid.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #41
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
Myeah, it sounds more of a "hold the device for now, you may get used to them in time, if not... well... get it back"
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #42
Jbthompson
Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
I am still holding on to mine. I left a negative review on amazon, and am going to wait and see if these get fixed....
Jbthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #43
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquele View Post
I agree with HarryT concerning the color hue issue. What bothers me a bit is the font quality. I have the impression that once I use the dictionary or the menu, the type face is messed up and it looks like some words/lines are printed in bold as compared to others until I page forward. In general, the weight of the type face is less homogeneous what I have seen on my PW than on the K keyboard, but once the dictionary pop-up was used it visibly degrades. Am I the only one noticing this?
As mentioned, there have been numerous posts about this and yes, it is a very visible effect. If I close the dictionary, I generally flip pages 'back and forth' to restore fonts. It's annoying, as it clearly is some bug with the software.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #44
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
As mentioned, there have been numerous posts about this and yes, it is a very visible effect. If I close the dictionary, I generally flip pages 'back and forth' to restore fonts. It's annoying, as it clearly is some bug with the software.
Would it help to have refresh every page on? Or does the PW never refreshes after dictionary? If it does not, the partial refresh of the page might be at fault and should be fixed to force a full refresh of page after dictionary no matter what.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #45
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Would it help to have refresh every page on? Or does the PW never refreshes after dictionary? If it does not, the partial refresh of the page might be at fault and should be fixed to force a full refresh of page after dictionary no matter what.
Having it on refresh every page does not help for that particular problem, no.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote