Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #46
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Diana I & Queen Camilla
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Wouldn't that be the Queen's English, at least until Charles takes the throne?
BTW, will he be Charles II?
I can't recall any higher numbers in the annals of English history, not that I'm well versed in it.
Charles III. Charles II (the son of Charles I, who lost his head) reigned from 1649-1651.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #48
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
BTW, will he be Charles II?
I can't recall any higher numbers in the annals of English history, not that I'm well versed in it.
Charlie isn't getting his butt on the throne.
The Queen is going to hang around (modern medical tech is grand) until he goes senile and William V can take the throne.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #49
PainMike
the Gusto Gargoyle
PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Charlie isn't getting his butt on the throne.
The Queen is going to hang around (modern medical tech is grand) until he goes senile and William V can take the throne.
Indeed, the Basil Fawlty Proclamation is still not implemented.
PainMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #50
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Charles III. Charles II (the son of Charles I, who lost his head) reigned from 1649-1651.
I think I read somewhere that he wouldn't take the name "Charles". He doesn't have to.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #51
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, Tubemonkey already told us he is taking the name Diana I.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #52
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
When you use 'I' you're referring to yourself, so it needs to be capitalized, just like how names are capitalized.
Won't work, Gazella20. When you use 'you' (to one person) you're referring to that person, so You should be capitalized, as if you said John.

When you use 'he' you're referring to one person, so He should be capitalized.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #53
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Won't work, Gazella20. When you use 'you' (to one person) you're referring to that person, so You should be capitalized, as if you said John.

When you use 'he' you're referring to one person, so He should be capitalized.
I guess you're right. I've been following this thread hoping for a definite and specific answer but I guess there isn't a real reason behind this. I guess we were just taught to capitalize our I's for no reason.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #54
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
I guess we were just taught to capitalize our I's for no reason.
Oh, there is a reason: you're *expected* to capitalize.
The original reason may be lost to the mists of time and tradition but the expectation remains.
"Ours is not to question, but to obey..."
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #55
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
Quote:
I have always meekly accepted that it is I and not i, but why? There is no word that is i so why the extra step of I? I can't even write i without correcting it afterwards because auto-correct will immediately change it back to I.
Does anyone know how the need for capitalization came about?

"Thou art God".

Heinlein
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I guess you're right. I've been following this thread hoping for a definite and specific answer but I guess there isn't a real reason behind this. I guess we were just taught to capitalize our I's for no reason.
The Online Etymology Dictionary (a source which I've found to be reliable over the years) has a reasonable explanation:

Quote:
I

12c. shortening of O.E. ic, first person singular nominative pronoun, from P.Gmc. *ekan (cf. O.Fris. ik, O.N. ek, Norw. eg, Dan. jeg, O.H.G. ih, Ger. ich, Goth. ik), from PIE *eg-, nominative form of the first person singular pronoun (cf. Skt. aham, Hitt. uk, L. ego (source of Fr. Je), Gk. ego, Rus. ja, Lith. aš). Reduced to i by mid-12c. in northern England, it began to be capitalized mid-13c. to mark it as a distinct word and avoid misreading in handwritten manuscripts.

Quote:
The reason for writing I is ... the orthographic habit in the middle ages of using a 'long i' (that is, j or I) whenever the letter was isolated or formed the last letter of a group; the numeral 'one' was written j or I (and three iij, etc.), just as much as the pronoun. [Otto Jespersen, "Growth and Structure of the English Language," p.233]
The form ich or ik, especially before vowels, lingered in northern England until c.1400 and survived in southern dialects until 18c. The dot on the "small" letter -i- began to appear in 11c. Latin manuscripts, to distinguish the letter from the stroke of another letter (such as -m- or -n-). Originally a diacritic, it was reduced to a dot with the introduction of Roman type fonts.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #57
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Online Etymology Dictionary (a source which I've found to be reliable over the years) has a reasonable explanation:
Very interesting! And thank you for the reference, I've never heard of the Online Etymology Dictionary and wasn't aware that such a site existed. I'm literally just entering random terms and it's fascinating to be able to read the history and origins of the words.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #58
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
That was interesting indeed
And makes the thread's title deserve a SOLVED addon. HarryT
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #59
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I actually edited my first post, but it doesn't show up on the thread's title, only on the original post.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Would you like me to edit the thread title?