Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #16
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I guarantee that you can do it 98% of the time without Flash or a USB port. Use some critical thinking and forward vision and stop letting vendors do it for you.
Or they could give you those options and let you accomplish what you want without having to find a workaround.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #17
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
no USB port and no Flash support
Quote:
Welcome to yesterdays technology.
I have to agree on this one. Flash is one way to "stream" video and games across the internet, but can be painfully slow to watch/play depending upon your circumstances.

USB was a good "universal" way to connect devices to a PC, but slowly things are moving to a wireless type of connectivity.

The one thing I really see missing from an iPad that I use constantly in almost every other device I have is the ability to read an SD/microSD card for expanded data storage.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #18
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Welcome to yesterdays technology.

You know that these are just points that vendors are using to sell their device to you, right? Ask yourself -- what am I trying to accomplish?

I guarantee that you can do it 98% of the time without Flash or a USB port. Use some critical thinking and forward vision and stop letting vendors do it for you. Apple is really good at building hardware...if something is really needed, they'll bake it in. If they leave it out, it's because usually, there is a better way.

Flash isn't that big a deal to iPad owners because they can accomplish the same things, but a different way.

And by the way, flash doesn't run on my Pandigital Novel nor on the Android phone that I'm buying. I'll do things another way. >shrug< And most of those companies that want my business have already made it easy for me.
There is no vendor selling anything to me ... the pages I visit and check, use Flash. So I need Flash and there are a lot of users that need it as well, period.

Now, I am not going to debate if you like Flash or not, but there are thousand of websites which use Flash and browsing without the plugin makes the iPad useless for those particular users, me one of them.

USB is also a current standard. My camera, cellphone, Kindle, keyboard, VPN adapter, micro SD card (with the SD card converter) etc, etc, etc, etc, use USB port. So I do also need USB ports.

Finding workarounds for stuff that I like and want is what I call "forcing" the user. Hey! let me decide. Chances are that Apple devices/hardware will simply stop responding the same way because not enough hardware or has not been designed for Flash, in part because both companies are not willing to cooperate on that aspect and help each other.

What's true for you, maybe is not for others and the reality is that those two are existing features that regular people use daily.

Last edited by jocampo; 02-02-2011 at 05:55 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #19
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
workaround.
No workarounds. A different way. For example, using later versions of HTML or using a (free) app.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #20
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
the pages I visit and check, use Flash.
I surf with it disabled on my laptop. Rarely enable it. On an iDevice I'd have the option of using Youtubes app or using most sites HTML5 site/or an app they designed for me.

Next?

Quote:

USB is also a current standard.
The floppy disk still is too.

You know you can do what you want to do many different ways than with USB? You'd be surprised whats out there if you tried to change. You might find yourself more being more efficient. I'd bet you're going to try to use a MOUSE with your tablet too, just because thats the way you've always done things. What else do you want?

Quote:
Finding workarounds for stuff that I like and want is what I call "forcing" the user. Hey! let me decide.
Maybe they'll put a 3.5" floppy disk drive on one of those tablets for you too.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 02-02-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #21
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
I surf with it disabled on my laptop. Rarely enable it. On an iDevice I'd have the option of using Youtubes app or using most sites HTML5 site/or an app they designed for me.

Next?

The floppy disk still is too.

You know you can do what you want to do many different ways than with USB? You'd be surprised whats out there if you tried to change. You might find yourself more being more efficient. I'd bet you're going to try to use a MOUSE with your tablet too, just because thats the way you've always done things. What else do you want?

Maybe they'll put a 3.5" floppy disk drive on one of those tablets for you too.

?

There is no way for users which devices connect via USB, to replace that, is absurd. It is also absurd using a USB mouse with a tablet, so have no idea what you brought that example, it is also absurd.

You can't also compare Floppy devices against USB ports, because the usability of the 1st one in today's environment is rare, not the same with USB devices.

I thought that I was able to establish a good discussion with you, I can see that's not possible. I will let other users to judge your statements ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #22
RockdaMan
Banned

Just a touch of humor, Jo.

Sorry if I insulted you.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #23
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
It's pretty obvious that the root reason for the lack of connectivity of the i* is to keep the file system locked down. After all, if you can't install a USB drive, or a flash card, or even mount the thing as another drive, then you can't get any files into it without filtering them through iTunes. And Jobs has just another means of enforcing his will on what you can do with your own hardware.

Frankly, if I drop $500 plus on anything, I'm gonna do with it what I want, not what some control freak twice removed from the end user says I can. And if the price I pay for that is screwing up my device or "fragmentation" or voiding my warranty, then so be it. It's my money and my problem, I believe I'll take my money elsewhere.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #24
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
you can't get any files into it without filtering them through iTunes.
dropbox
Old 02-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #25
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
dropbox
So... that's your solution to replacing the outdated USB technology. Connect to dropbox and expose your sensitive data.... I'll stick to USB.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #26
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Connect to dropbox and expose your sensitive data
To whom and how?

Edit:

Actually, if there is some huge security hole in Dropbox (there isn't) you should make it known...as it will affect several other widely used webtools that use the technology.

But no, you're just baselessly casting suspicions on a service a lot of people like just to win an argument on the Internet.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 02-02-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #27
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Okay lets try this

Quote:
Quote:
dropbox
So... that's your solution to replacing the outdated USB technology.
I know I know you won't answer it, it hard being a troll cause you have to counter everything until your paint yourself in a corner. And then instead of answering you jump on another low hanging fruit.

The only reason why I'm responding is cause I'm bored too

Quote:
To whom and how?

Edit:

Actually, if there is some huge security hole in Dropbox (there isn't) you should make it known...as it will affect several other widely used webtools that use the technology.

But no, you're just baselessly casting suspicions on a service a lot of people like just to win an argument on the Internet.
No that's not my style truth is I've been in the computer/internet industry a long time and I've seen it all.

No no FUD here. Really any system is hackable especially because they all have the same security flaw, the human element. Didn't iTunes get hacked. My yahoo account got hacked, my linux Box did too. Heck I jumped through several Linux servers and windows servers following the hackers trail.

Also like you pointed out many web serves use Dropbox and they threaten to weaken their system.

Last point is do you really trust DropBox? I don't know why you would, those kinds of services are great for transferring non sensitive data, but their servers archive your data and have it persisten for as long as they wish. Once they have it they can scan, index, sell your information. I'm not saying Dropbox will or has done this but the potential is there. And there are many companies who have knownly violated their privcay polocies.

For you the risk might be worth it, bur for me it is not.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #28
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Okay lets try this

I know I know you won't answer it, it hard being a troll cause you have to counter everything until your paint yourself in a corner. And then instead of answering you jump on another low hanging fruit.
I thought you were the type that name-calling is below you. I could call you out for not responding to my earlier post too, but I didn't. Were you a troll painted into a corner? Don't bother to answer.

Yes, Dropbox is one of many things that users use instead of a USB key/cable. People said the same sorts of things you're saying when manufacturers said stopped leaving disk drives out, and when they stopped putting optical media in laptops.

Quote:
Once they have it they can scan, index, sell your information.
You have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #29
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
No workarounds. A different way. For example, using later versions of HTML or using a (free) app.
So, for example, if I want to watch the live tennis feed through Tennis TV, for which I already pay a large annual subscription, on an iPad, your recommendation is that I pay an additional subscription through iTunes for the iPhone app?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #30
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
So, for example, if I want to watch the live tennis feed through Tennis TV, for which I already pay a large annual subscription, on an iPad, your recommendation is that I pay an additional subscription through iTunes for the iPhone app?

Graham
I don't know enough about Tennis TV to make a recommendation.

And there are probably some situations where it may make sense to look elsewhere. Not many , but they do exist.

Edit: The technology is there; it's just that Tennis TV has chosen not to use it in a pro-subscriber way. Instead they seek to sell iPlatform owners another sub, instead of using the existing App with their current subscription.

They could also use HTML5 video, instead of (I'm assuming) flash, which would eliminate the need for a second app and a second sub.

It's really a business decision that they have made...and it's one that others in their place have refused to make. I think that it makes sense to think differently and get a tablet or device that runs Flash in this case...

Last edited by RockdaMan; 02-03-2011 at 10:21 AM.