Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #16
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Are you happy to see me? Or is that a Kindle in your front pocket?

On a more serious note, I did not receive a sleeve with my Kindle 2i, so I bought a jacket from M-Edge and inside that it is too big for almost any pocket.
I live in an area (woods in southern Sweden) that has precious little crime so I don't really need to worry about thiefs or pickpockets. I would probably only carry it in my pocket when walking to the bus, but I can certainly see the point that if I forget I have it - and it is light enough that it is a distinct possibility - then I most certainly would get upset if I did break it. So it will stay out of my back pocket for the foreseeable future.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Are you happy to see me? Or is that a Kindle in your front pocket?
Good one!

Back in the old days before smartphones and ebook readers were all the rage, techie types had PDAs. PDAs were about the size of an iPhone and were uber expensive for their day. Much more expensive than an average reader today if you adjust the price to current monetary value. Almost weekly I would read of someone crying over their broken PDA because they kept it their back pocket, where it would easily fit. Front pants pockets are not as bad, but front shirt pockets are if you don't have a flap or button to keep the device from falling out when you bend over to tie your shoes or something. I have dropped a lot of stuff out of my front shirt pocket when bending to far forward, but luckily haven't broken anything yet.

I would also be careful with coat pockets. If you take the coat off and toss it in a chair, you or someone else might accidently toss something heavy on top of it.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #18
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
on that note I lost track of the number of (work issued) pagers that fell in the toilet
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #19
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Good one!

Back in the old days before smartphones and ebook readers were all the rage, techie types had PDAs. PDAs were about the size of an iPhone and were uber expensive for their day. Much more expensive than an average reader today if you adjust the price to current monetary value. Almost weekly I would read of someone crying over their broken PDA because they kept it their back pocket, where it would easily fit. Front pants pockets are not as bad, but front shirt pockets are if you don't have a flap or button to keep the device from falling out when you bend over to tie your shoes or something. I have dropped a lot of stuff out of my front shirt pocket when bending to far forward, but luckily haven't broken anything yet.

I would also be careful with coat pockets. If you take the coat off and toss it in a chair, you or someone else might accidently toss something heavy on top of it.
Guys get all the good pockets. Solution: buy guy shorts that are too big and take in the waist in a couple of pleats in back.

I really like the side cargo pockets. Sure, they aren't svelte, but they will hold pdas (or my iPod, which is now my PDA) or phones without either jamming them into your leg, or putting so much pressure on them that they break when you sit.

I do think the K2 is just a bit too big to fit in most of them, though, and when it does, I would think your hand would hit it when you walk. I wonder what the K3 would be like in that regard.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #20
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
I have never in my life owned a pair of pants or shorts with any pocket big enough to carry a Kindle!
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A 505 is smaller then a Kindle, but my shorts don't have pockets big enough to carry it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:44 AM   #22
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
only time I carry anything like a cell phone or reader in my pocket is if I'm wearing cargo pants, then I might use a side pocket, but not the normal pockets, I'd be too worried about it.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I put my phone in my front pocket all the time if there is enough room. But as for an eink reader, never ever would I pocket one even if I had the room. Too easy to get broken.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #24
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
I have never in my life owned a pair of pants or shorts with any pocket big enough to carry a Kindle!
I use to wear coveralls at work and those things had big pockets
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I use to wear coveralls at work and those things had big pockets
Get a reader too big for those pockets so you can't ever be tempted to put your device in those pockets and risk damage.