Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
pookiepoo
pookiepoo began at the beginning.

Device: PSP, iPhone, Laptop Desktop
Help downloading metadata by ISBN

Hi Everyone I have a huge problem

Ok so I have found calibre

all my ebook file names are their ISBN's when I click add metadata it doesn't search by the ISBN but by the title of the book which means that the search is unsucessful.

how exactly do i get it to search by the ISBN for the purposes of a bulk metadata update

my file convention is 9781*********.pdf no spaces or hyphens

I read something about a regex but dont get it at all

Last edited by pookiepoo; 12-21-2009 at 09:45 AM.
pookiepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, pookiepoo.

Hopefully help will arrive soon. My only suggestion is to enter the title and author manually.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Did you create an account at isbndb.com and enter your Access Key into calibre. I think the search on that site is done by ISBN.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
pookiepoo

Thanks so much for your replies

I am indeed registered with ISBNDB and I have entered the number on the page when it searches for the info. Maybe I am doing something wrong?

When I search from the main screen I get this

"WARNING: Failed to download some metadata: Failed to download metadata for the following:

9781409947837: No matches found for this book"

but when I enter it into the ISBN text box after clicking edit metadata individually it recognises the format of the ISBN and finds it without any problems
Old 12-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm... not sure then. Guess we will have to wait till Kovid or someone more knowledgeable finds this thread.

BOb
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

I am going to change the title of this thread to make it a bit less generic.

BOb
Old 12-21-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to adjust the file import regular expression to read the isbn from the file name. Go to Preferences->Add/Save
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
pookiepoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I am going to change the title of this thread to make it a bit less generic.

BOb
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You need to adjust the file import regular expression to read the isbn from the file name. Go to Preferences->Add/Save
First of all thanks for making such an awesome product!

I have tried doing (copy and paste from other sites)this but to no avail; I am only a mere end user who neither has the expertise nor the time (university assignments) to learn this from scratch.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
pookiepoo

So I have obtained this regular expression from http://www.regexlib.com/REDetails.aspx?regexp_id=463

^(97(8|9))?\d{9}(\d|X)$ when I place it in the add and save section it does nothing what is the matter ?

modified it to (?P<Title>.+)- (?P<ISBN>[^(97(8|9))?\d{9}(\d|X)$]) and still no luck

Last edited by pookiepoo; 12-21-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So, any hints for the OP what the reg expression would be if the file name is JUST the ISBN?

BOb
Old 12-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(?P<isbn>.+)
Old 12-22-2009, 05:46 AM   #12
pookiepoo

Quote:
(?P<isbn>.+)
Alas this was one of the first things that I tried. When testing it only the title ever matches. When using it to add files and then add meta I get the same error as before
Old 12-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That will cause both title and isbn to be set to the filename (minus the extension). the metadata fetcher will then use the isbn in preference to the title.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
pl77
pl77 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Apologies for resurrecting this post, but I have the exact same problem. For simplicity's sake I've renamed all of my ebooks with only the ISBN as the filename, e.g. 1234567890.pdf.

The expression I've tried to use (amongst numerous permutations) is (?P<isbn>.+) which works with the test field but only populates the title field when the book is actually imported. Any reason why it's not populating the ISBN field?
pl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
pl77
pl77 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Okay it's now fixed in 0.7.22. Thanks very much Kovid!
pl77 is offline   Reply With Quote