Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2022, 11:45 AM   #61
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
This update seems to have fixed the issue I was having where I couldn't boot the ereader without having it plugged in to a computer. Glad to see it. The advanced features for side-loaded fonts are also welcome, I actually didn't know there was a community-made patch for this.

Edit: I have a Libra 2

Last edited by Lykke; 04-15-2022 at 11:50 AM.
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 12:44 PM   #62
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It doesn't matter if Bookerly comes from the net or from the Kindle Firmware. It's still broken.
That's clearly not true as the Bookerly I'm using doesn't have the issue and I didn't use FontForge to fix it.

You're just lucky I can't remember those two download links from earlier, or I would have shared them again

Why you think a download source that is directly from Amazon, the font owner, doesn't meet your high standards is beyond me.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2022, 12:50 PM   #63
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
It seems like Kobo deserves praise for not just fixing the 2/3-baked mess that was 4.31 but also adding several very useful enhancements.
Before 4.31, Kobo firmware releases had been pretty solid. Hopefully 4.32 is back on track.
Old 04-15-2022, 01:09 PM   #64
JLB14
Enthusiast
JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't think that's a firmware problem. As it is exactly the same Bookerly problem others have mentioned for quite a while. It comes from downloading the same old broken version of Bookerly that has been floating around on the interwebs.
Same customized version (made by @Semwize) used with my former Kobo Forma (without any problem encountered), so I don't think it's related to that.
Nevertheless, feel free to provide me your version in private, and I'll try it, thanks.

Last edited by JLB14; 04-15-2022 at 01:16 PM.
JLB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 02:03 PM   #65
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Why you think a download source that is directly from Amazon, the font owner, doesn't meet your high standards is beyond me.
You can also get Bookerly from the Kindle APK too btw.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2022, 02:09 PM   #66
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
Bug still seems to exist where when you plug the Sage into a usb c charging cable that the led indicator light comes on for a few seconds then goes out. This bus was introduced back in 4.30. Pror to that once you plugged in the the USC C cable the led light stayeyed on.

Very early look indicated that when charging the Sage the percentage indicator seems to go up more quickly. Prior to this release the Sage would say something like "Charged 97%" - now it seems to show the proper 100% charge.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 02:15 PM   #67
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sage Advanced Notebooks:
bug on shape circle size fixed.
bug on resizing shapes box seems fixed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 02:26 PM   #68
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Elipsa Advanced Notebooks (Updated to this FW from 4.28.x):
Note handwriting lag gone. Conversion much faster.

Bluetooth & WiFi interaction same as Sage, but at least you can turn off WiFi after turning on BT. Turning off BT is OK. BT setting toggle is slow, so don't tap twice, but wait.

I use the Elipsa "pen" on the Sage. As I have smaller ereaders than the Sage for my pocket going out, I didn't buy the Sage cover either, which has nowhere for a pen.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:06 PM   #69
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Publisher Font and Advanced settings:
I'm not convinced my ebook uses "AR UDJingxihei", which is what is suggested when you tap on Advanced. However that's the top of the list of non-Publisher fonts.
Looking at the ebook with Calibre I see only Georgia and Droid Sans are referenced or embedded.

I think a bug.
No, that is a supplementary font which will be used, under certain circumstances, to supply a missing glyph in the font in use. Tap on the circle i beside Supplemental for some quick help. Some testing showed this worked on one of Terry Pratchett's books where the golems using an Enochian alphabet.

One nasty item is quite a few fonts claim to support glyphs which are not actually present (one font I noticed this on claims to support the extended Greek character set (U+1F00-U+1FFF) however using Fontforge says that there are less than 50% of that set that are present in the font. In that case, the glyph substitution would not occur.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:11 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That's clearly not true as the Bookerly I'm using doesn't have the issue and I didn't use FontForge to fix it.

You're just lucky I can't remember those two download links from earlier, or I would have shared them again

Bookerly from the Kindle firmware has the same problem. It's not an issue with ePub but it can be with KePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 05:41 PM   #71
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB14 View Post
Same customized version (made by @Semwize) used with my former Kobo Forma (without any problem encountered), so I don't think it's related to that.
Nevertheless, feel free to provide me your version in private, and I'll try it, thanks.
I can't attach files to a PM. But I found the download link straight from Amazon: https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/a...y?tag=mr060-20

You have to download a 25MB file of all Amazon fonts, but Bookerly is in there.

Or PM me your email address and I'll email you what I use.
Old 04-15-2022, 06:32 PM   #72
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Tried to update manually as I usually do (patched Libra 2), going from 4.30 to 4.32. Disconnected and my Libra 2 appeared to have updated, but then it turned on and 1) the firmware version hadn't changed 2) it just wouldn't connect to a PC anymore (tried with two). I press the connect button, the screen shows the Connected and charging screen, but nothing besides that happens, so I can't access the device in any way. Disconnecting the cable (eventually) makes it reboot. Tried to logout of my account thinking it was a database issue but no, that didn't fix it either, so I'm currently resetting it to factory default.

I swear I haven't had these many problems with a Kobo in the 9+ years I've been using their ereaders, and I'm not even sure it's the Libra 2. I'm even starting to wonder if it's the cable (first time I'm actually using a Kobo-issued cable) or if it's just my supremely bad luck.

EDIT: well, resetting to factory default and changing the cable didn't work. Does anybody have any ideas? Not sure if that's relevant but it didn't seem to actually download the recent update when I reset it, it's still at 4.30.

Last edited by mathil; 04-15-2022 at 06:39 PM.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:48 PM   #73
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
EDIT: well, resetting to factory default and changing the cable didn't work. Does anybody have any ideas? Not sure if that's relevant but it didn't seem to actually download the recent update when I reset it, it's still at 4.30.
You can enable developer mode (put devmodeon in the search bar, then in device info developer options, force wifi on).

In developer mode you can transfer the KoboRoot.tgz and the other files with FTP. You can also check with telnet if the rootfs is full.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:57 PM   #74
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I can't attach files to a PM. But I found the download link straight from Amazon: https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/a...y?tag=mr060-20

You have to download a 25MB file of all Amazon fonts, but Bookerly is in there.
I'm not really a Bookerly fan, but I tried this download on my Clara. Italics worked fine with ePubs. With KePubs italics worked but was always bold — whether the original was bold or not.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 08:12 PM   #75
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Patches: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346263
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release