Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2020, 09:30 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Firmware 4.24.15676

Firmware 4.24.15676 has been released.

Automatically posted by kfwproxy.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:30 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seriously...
Advert
Old 09-24-2020, 09:36 PM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Seriously...
LITERALLY my verbatim response to the Telegraph notification!
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:21 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard

I've updated the patches.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:49 PM   #5
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Advert
Old 09-24-2020, 11:57 PM   #6
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
So... what changed?
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:08 AM   #7
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
So... what changed?
Essentially nothing. It's possible there were a few minor changes in the code itself (e.g. numbers, math operations), but I haven't had a chance to look at that yet.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:30 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You mean you don't want the dictionary problems that you extensively described fixed?

The only purpose of this release is to fix the issues with "prefix_exceptions" in the dictionary.

Update:
For my usual release comments see my post in the 4.24.15672 release thread.

With the addition that calibre version 5 was also released today. This includes support for the 4.24.x firmware versions. But, if you are a MAC user, there is a bug recognising any ereader. There should be an update in a couple of days.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-25-2020 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Added reference to previous release notes and the calibre release
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:11 AM   #9
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You mean you don't want the dictionary problems that you extensively described fixed?

The only purpose of this release is to fix the issues with "prefix_exceptions" in the dictionary.
I didn't look at the dictionary stuff specifically (those kinds of changes which only affect individual instructions in existing functions are the hardest to notice, and I would have overlooked this too since it's almost be too good to be true to have that fixed so quickly). But yes, I did want those fixed if it was possible and if it was actually an issue rather than not using it correctly (after all, I did figure everything out based on the assembly and some educated guesses for relevant test cases, since there aren't yet any available official v3 dictionaries using prefix_exceptions). In that case, I'm quite pleased with Kobo.

Thanks for the pointer about what changed. It'll save me a lot of time, both for figuring out what changed, and for when I test dictionaries expecting it to do the same thing. Remember that I'm looking at a disassembly, not the original source code, and that doesn't cleanly diff or do things in the most logical manner.

I think this will become my favourite release so far, as almost everything I've personally wanted fixed in the firmware has now been fixed, and I haven't discovered any major issues/regressions with the features I use so far.

Edit: I'll look through the code again and post a more details summary of the changes when I have time (either tomorrow night or two days after that).

Edit 1: I just took a quick peek at the most likely places, and I think I've found the changes. I'll come up with test cases later.

Edit 2: For anyone interested, the most important part is at 0x5a61ac in 15672 and 0x5a643c in 15676. I'll also need to debug one of my scripts, since it should have noticed a side effect of this change automatically.

Edit 3: The bug was in my parsing of the JSON diff of the output of one of my tools (it didn't detect single-character changes properly).

Edit 4: I can confirm this fixes the default behavior for my main test cases . That's all I'm going to check for today. Tomorrow, I'll look at exactly how it does it and what changed.

Last edited by geek1011; 09-25-2020 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Just chiming it for another kudos on the update, the crappy^Wsupbar English dictionaries were basically one of my last gripe with the Kobo software for an ex-Kindle user, so, yay \o/.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:26 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kobo Firmware 4.24.15676

Kobo firmware 4.24.15676 has been released. As of September 25, 2020, it has been released to the Kobo Touch A/B, Kobo Touch C, Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v2, Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Aura ONE Limited Edition, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v2, Kobo Nia, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, and the Kobo Libra H2O. It has not been released to the Kobo Mini. The affiliates used to check these firmware versions were: kobo, bestbuyca, fnac, beta, rakutenbooks, and the walmartca.

Download Links

Official Links: You can also try the generic links at your own risk:
Generated by kobofirmware by Patrick Gaskin (geek1011). Source Code
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:46 AM   #12
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
This FW version still does not provide me with release notes in Settings > Device Information on my Clara HD. The update check is there.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #13
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
This FW version still does not provide me with release notes in Settings > Device Information on my Clara HD. The update check is there.

I don't have that on my Libra either.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #14
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Yes, it's a bit odd. I haven't looked into the exact conditions which cause it to trigger, but try doing a sync and see if it appears.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:21 AM   #15
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Syncing & reboot/syncing did not help.
I've updated my trusted old KA2 v1 with the latest FW and the "What's new" section showed-up there without the need for syncing.

Last edited by DrChiper; 09-25-2020 at 11:34 AM.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release