Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-06-2021, 12:51 PM   #31
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMa View Post
I think input is a closed concern for the moment. I managed to watch for input events with evtest and with a small Python program, pass the x/y coordinates to xdotool. You can check the .py file in the main post to see the code. Pretty simple and reliable. No multi-touch, but better than nothing...
Thanks for the explanation, I think I am nearing even further my goal.

Any idea how to set this up in Python? Is it possible?
Thanks
Oh, I think I understood what to do. Will report results soon
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:39 PM   #32
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update: That is going well! And it works like 15 times faster than the previous method. YAYYY
Continuing testing phase; instructions should be there by tonight
Old 01-06-2021, 02:48 PM   #33
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Quote:
Update: That is going well! And it works like 15 times faster than the previous method. YAYYY
Continuing testing phase; instructions should be there by tonight
Progress!
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:05 PM   #34
NiMa
Evangelist

Question Help please...

Hi,

Update now... I have some great and bad news:
Great: It's blazing fast... and amazing. I hope to be able to put the steps in the main post for you to test it as soon as possible. Almost instant response.

Bad: All works except the half-size screen resolution. I can't get to set my display to 840x632!
In 1680x1264 it is just too tiny. Not usable.
I tried xrandr, and *of course* got served this error when trying to --scale to 0.5x0.5:
Code:
Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Tried an Xvfb instance with the resolution set at 840x632x16; fbink-xdamage doesn't do anything with it, just a blank screen.
Tried setting DPI; that worked only for OpenBox title bars. Rest stayed the same.

Any clue?
Thanks...
Old 01-06-2021, 08:26 PM   #35
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is that the full output, or is there more?
Old 01-06-2021, 08:39 PM   #36
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
Is that the full output, or is there more?
Fixed the issue with a script that I found from a random website. It works awesome and I'll share a video within two hours!
Last things I need to fix is the size of the tint2 dock and some DPI things.

Watch for an update!!!!
Old 01-06-2021, 08:41 PM   #37
Elektron
Banned

Yay!
Old 01-06-2021, 11:00 PM   #38
NiMa
Evangelist

New video! Instructions are coming soon! Thanks @NiLuJe for the incredible help in this!
https://youtu.be/qOQt6Fxew2s

EDIT: And thanks @Elektron for the enthusiastic support!

Last edited by NiMa; 01-07-2021 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:24 PM   #39
Elektron
Banned

Quote:
New video! Instructions are coming soon! Thanks @NiLuJe for the incredible help in this!
https://youtu.be/qOQt6Fxew2s
Amazing! I can't try it this week (school issues) but I will try on the weekend. Thank you, @NiMa and @NiLuJe!
Old 01-07-2021, 06:32 AM   #40
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
This is insanely cool!

Now, get Wine + Sony Reader for PC to run and we can get library books (without Overdrive) directly from the ereader.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:39 PM   #41
NiMa
Evangelist

Updated instructions in the main post
Check it out! It's worth it, I think!

Please, also, let me know if this works for you if you try it on your Kobo and post screenshots!

Last edited by NiMa; 01-07-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #42
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
This is insanely cool!

Now, get Wine + Sony Reader for PC to run and we can get library books (without Overdrive) directly from the ereader.
I *could* do that... I had the idea to try to run Windows 95 on it with QEMU (wouldn't that be absolutely amazing? ^^), but QEMU ended with a bus error or something like that. Hence, I don't know if Wine will work (in fact, it's not even compatible because we're running on ARM)...

To those who want to help: The next step would be to create a multitouch driver for Xorg. There's one on GitHub for ZForce IR Kobos: https://github.com/S-trace/xorg-input-kobomultitouch
But now that Kobo's switched to capacitive screens, time would be to create another one... If you have any idea on how this could be done, please let me know

Last edited by NiMa; 01-07-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:36 PM   #43
NiMa
Evangelist

Talking It can run QEMU!

Screenshots -> Check out the main post! After hours of trying, I finally got ReactOS working on a x86_64 emulated VM in QEMU. It's painfully slow, but who knows... Maybe it will be useful...
Old 01-27-2021, 01:51 PM   #44
fermino
fermino can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fermino can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fermino can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fermino can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fermino can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fermino can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fermino can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fermino can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fermino can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fermino can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fermino can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
This is amazing.

I just bought a Clara HD because I was looking for an e-reader and found out it was a full fledged linux box. As soon as it gets here I'll root it and give this a shot, I'm really excited about it!

It'd be cool to see a multitouch driver working, with maybe synaptics-like gestures for scroll, right click and so on! (Dreaming costs nothing, right?)

Anyways, thanks for posting this, if you need any help let me know! (I know a bit of C/++).
fermino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:33 PM   #45
Elektron
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermino View Post
This is amazing.

I just bought a Clara HD because I was looking for an e-reader and found out it was a full fledged linux box. As soon as it gets here I'll root it and give this a shot, I'm really excited about it!

It'd be cool to see a multitouch driver working, with maybe synaptics-like gestures for scroll, right click and so on! (Dreaming costs nothing, right?)

Anyways, thanks for posting this, if you need any help let me know! (I know a bit of C/++).
The new thread is on the main Kobo forum

Tags
kobo, linux, xorg