Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
rainboy
rainboy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs 505
Bought Sony PRS 600 - First day experience

Hi Friends,

Got the Sony PRS 600 from Fry's in San Jose.

First day experience so far so good....did not face any issue with the most feared glare yet for the device. Transferred some books on laptop using Calibre & downloaded couple of newspapers using RSS Feeds.

Also i loaded a 500 pager PDF & the device was frozen for almost half an hour until i reset it. Would never want to try that again, deleted the book straight away.

However have another issue, how can i change the grey scale or brightness. The wiki shows 8 lever gray scale,however couldn't find any setting to change that. The Sony help (Chat) was useless.

Please let me know if this is possible.

Thanks,
RB

Last edited by rainboy; 04-06-2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: PDF file issue
rainboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Hi rainboy,

To my knowledge, there is no way to change the screen performance. The 8 levels do not refer to the brightness but to image rendering.

Please, when you will have used your Sony a little more, tell us more about your experiences.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Unfortunately you can't adjust it. The screen can display 8 shades of gray--if you had an image of a bulls-eye that needed 10 different shades of gray to see the different bands, it wouldn't be able to.

The lightest shade it can depict (the background on a page of text) is reportedly a bit darker than some other readers, making the overall contrast (between the black text and the background) relatively poor. I find it acceptable (and I read in some pretty darn dark environments), but my Dad says he can't read it at all. Would I *like* it to have better contrast? Sure. But it doesn't and there ain't nuthin' I can do about it, and the contrast is OK enough for me to read quite comfortably, so I don't have any real complaints there.

If you find yourself straining and constantly wishing for better contrast after you've given yourself a fair shot at getting used to it, you probably should return it.....
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
... If you find yourself straining and constantly wishing for better contrast after you've given yourself a fair shot at getting used to it, you probably should return it.....
or get a larger font or buy a custody with a lamp, which I do not use as I do not read in bed at night.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
I've had mine a couple of weeks now. Contrast and glare are issues but not deal-breaking ones. Setting the text to medium size helps with the contrast. Glare isn't that big of an issue - at least indoors, haven't tried outside. I've used it bed with a desk lamp (angled to the wall behind me so I get diffused light) and it's fine. I've also used it in a room with flourescents infront, above, and behind my desk. Just takes a slight angle adjustment and it's fine.

I'm willling to put up with the darker contrast to take advantage of the 600's touchscreen and annotation abilities. I do a lot of research so highlighting is a must. And the nook's process was just too cumbersome using the joystick, select the first word then ending word, then selecting "highlight" - ugh, too many steps. Ability to jump to a page is also a must.

The touchscreen keeps my thumb from getting sore hitting the button; just takes a quick sweep of the finger to turn the page.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 01:44 AM   #6
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
I have had no issues with the glare and readability either. And as some have mentioned above, there isn't a way to adjust the greyness of the writing. The 8 shades of grey does mostly refer to image rendering. I find that increasing the text size from small to medium usually helps with reading. Also, I read with the lamp on at night time.

I really like the 600 and have had no issues with it so far
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote