Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-15-2018, 12:48 AM   #1
Alleyoop
Enthusiast
Alleyoop began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 950
Can't convert my Ebook with Calibre

Hi, I have updated my smartphone and wish to once again read some Ebooks on it. I purchased a book and just haven't been able to fulfil the DRM requirements to allow me to read it on Aldiko. I can read it on the Booktopia reader but I'm not fond of the Reader and would prefer to read it on Aldiko, or any other Reader that has Options.
I set up Calibre on my computer, installed the Plugins and converted the Ebook, but I had no success.
Is anyone able to guide me on how I can read this Ebook, and others I intend to purchase, on my Reader of choice?
Thank you.
Alleyoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:19 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Buy DRM free books instead. Then you can freely convert, using calibre, between different formats as needed for different readers or reader software.

I have heard rumors about a blog by an apprentice, Alf I think, that talks about how to remove DRM using calibre, but since that might be illegal and/or is close to piracy we don't talk about that here. At all!

Last edited by Adoby; 11-15-2018 at 01:22 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2018, 03:23 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
aldiko supports adobe DRM, allegedly, so you should be able to read a bought book without converting it or stripping it. you just have to figure out how to add the correct adobe ID credentials to the Aldiko app
bookari is the only other android app I know of that supports Adobe DRM
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:16 PM   #4
Alleyoop
Enthusiast
Alleyoop began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 950
Great, thanks, yes, as I thought.
I have 2 Adobe accounts and no matter which one I use I'm still asked to Enter DRM account when trying to Import into Aldiko, despite Adobe telling me my device is authorized. Around & around & around .
Alleyoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:45 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
So you've downloaded the book via Adobe Digital Editions? If so as long as ADE and Aldiko are both authorized to the same Adobe ID you should be good to go without having to remove the DRM. Alternatively I think Aldiko used to be able to open the Adobe ACSM file directly to allow downloading the book directly to your device and into the app, but it's been forever since I've done anything with that app, so might be thinking of a different app. For help with actually removing DRM check the Apprentice Alf blog as Adoby suggested.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2018, 12:49 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
So you've downloaded the book via Adobe Digital Editions? If so as long as ADE and Aldiko are both authorized to the same Adobe ID you should be good to go without having to remove the DRM. Alternatively I think Aldiko used to be able to open the Adobe ACSM file directly to allow downloading the book directly to your device and into the app, but it's been forever since I've done anything with that app, so might be thinking of a different app. For help with actually removing DRM check the Apprentice Alf blog as Adoby suggested.
probably, you are doomed if you 1st downloaded the book into ADE on a PC.
I got very frustrated trying to work out when/if aldiko/bookari would play nice with DRM .
i suspect aldiko needs to be 1st in line to get the book via the ACSM. Also, adobe DRM has gone through several version changes and I don't think Aldiko gets regular updates.... Bookari announced in March that they were moving away from supporting adobe, but then they went all quiet ....

removing DRM is the better way to go, if you can. Much more future-proof, and also you can then read in other apps, like moon reader that do not try to manage DRM stuff. it is not too hard once you study ALF blog, set up a workflow, and always follow the same exact steps
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote