Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #31
i-blis
i-blis began at the beginning.

Device: non
Nice hearing you found it useful.

I don't know how to convert it to a standalone binary for the Windows platform (perl2exe might be a way to go), I stick mostly to Unix-like systems.

It would be easier in my opinion to transform the script in a tiny webapp, for those who dislike the command line and / or do not have Perl installed.

I may modify the script to allow for custom cropping. If I do modify it, I'll post a link here.
i-blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:07 AM   #32
anirudh215
anirudh215 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
i-blis,
How do I use your script? I am using windows and need to cut PDFs in half.
anirudh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #33
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudh215 View Post
i-blis,
How do I use your script? I am using windows and need to cut PDFs in half.
This is an old thread. I'm not sure i-blis will see this.

If I were you, I'd try PaperCrop. (PDFRead and PDFLRF have similar capabilities too.)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:59 AM   #34
NSqirrel
Enthusiast
NSqirrel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I have the same problem converting a double page scan to two single pages times 70+.

Investigating, the best means I have found so far is called A-PDF Page Cut at www.a-pdf.com/page-cut/index.htm, which gives a good pictorial description of it's function. (98/NT4/Me/2000/XP/Vista) Being shareware, you can try it for free, or purchase for $27.

Seems to be very simple to use and very quick. At last a solution to my problem! https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ima...1/thumbsup.gif

(BTW I am not connected to the s/w in any way!)
NSqirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #35
Tegan
Connoisseur
Tegan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1st Gen, Kindle 3 SO
I ran that A-PDF Page Cut software on my double-paged PDF file, then loaded the result into Calibre and attempted to convert to Mobi. The result was a muddled mess. It appears that this program doesn't do a hard cut either.

Does any PDF editor do a hard cut instead of a visual crop so the double-page PDF can be converted to another format?
Tegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #36
NSqirrel
Enthusiast

Tegan: Is your pdf made up of scanned images of pictures and text only or is it text in pdf format. (E.g. assuming document security settings allow it, can you select and copy any of the text?) The file I used it on was simply a load of scanned (jpeg I assume) pages.

Nick
Old 04-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #37
Tegan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSqirrel View Post
Tegan: Is your pdf made up of scanned images of pictures and text only or is it text in pdf format. (E.g. assuming document security settings allow it, can you select and copy any of the text?) The file I used it on was simply a load of scanned (jpeg I assume) pages.

Nick
It appears to have text. The program appears to only do what Briss did. I got the same results with both.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:09 AM   #38
NSqirrel
Enthusiast

An OCR app like Abbyy fine reader may help, but then it may introduce OCR errors. Other than that a screen shot of each page, using something like FSCapture is an alternative, be it very, very tedious.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #39
Tegan
Connoisseur

I finally got a PDF editor and cut and pasted the second page onto a new page for each one. It was very tedious, but at least I can read it on my Kindle 1 now, which I couldn't do before. Once I get a new Kindle I suspect Briss will become very useful to me, but until then I guess I will have to deal with such PDFs manually. Hopefully I won't have many.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #40
Philosopher
Connoisseur
Philosopher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Originally Posted by joeanne12 View Post
Hi have searched for an answer but cant find one. I have a couple of pdf books that have two pages printed on the same page and cannot convert them successfully. I cant even seperated the pages, does anyone have any idea how this can be done?
Thanks

This comes YEARS after this thread. But I thought I'd add something - as I am currently looking for a solution for use on a PC.

I have been scanning my books for years. The way I had performed this reduction from the two-page scan to single pages was to create a batch process in Photoshop that divides the page 50% left and saves it - with a sequential page number and an ".l" - and then running a second batch that divides the page 50% right - and similarly saves it with an ".r"

So I get a directory of docX.001.l, docX.001.r, ... docX.n.l, docX.n.r - I then simply import the image files into Acrobat.

It takes some time - but with the batch processes (I haven't been able to create one that does both left and right with one process - but I am not that sophisticated in programming photoshop) it is fairly easy and painless. It will just take a while for a lengthy book to be split into twice as many image files and saved - and then imported into acrobat.

NOW - I am still looking to see if anyone has come up with a better way - and I am going to try ABBY FineReader. Have a copy - but never used it - will see if it can do it.

BUT I do have GOOD NEWS (Just not as complete as I wish). On the computers that I run unix (using Ubuntu) there is an application that does exactly this. Its just that I cannot remember the name. I do recall though that if you use Ubuntu's built in software installer and search for PDF - you will find it that way.

Hope this helps. I will post a new post as well so others might be able to benefit from this - or if others have new information.

Here were the other suggestions given to date - I haven't tried them yet:

Finereader Pro 9 (http://www.abbyy.com) and Snapter (http://www.snapter.atiz.com) can do this.

I managed to get some readable documents by using PaperCrop (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31677)

laborg
Zealot

You could try BRISS ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/ )

Old 06-28-2010, 08:46 AM #4
If you have Perl installed on your machine, you can use this script of mine.
http://snipplr.com/view/18924/split-...e-pdfs-in-two/

You can use Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader):

1. Choose Adobe PDF printer
2. Set Page Scaling to "Tile Large Pages", set Tile Scale to 100% and overlap to 0
3. Print the document with Adobe PDF printer as a new .pdf file
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #41
tanis101
tanis101 rocks like Gibraltar!tanis101 rocks like Gibraltar!tanis101 rocks like Gibraltar!tanis101 rocks like Gibraltar!tanis101 rocks like Gibraltar!tanis101 rocks like Gibraltar!tanis101 rocks like Gibraltar!tanis101 rocks like Gibraltar!tanis101 rocks like Gibraltar!tanis101 rocks like Gibraltar!tanis101 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
Good advices, thanks
tanis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #42
markralf
markralf began at the beginning.

Device: none
Splitting 2page pdfs

Printing tiles of pages to a new pdf worked brilliantly thanks.
You have to spend a bit of time resorting the pages but heh!

The program "A-PDF Page Cut" also works but costs $35

Thanks for the help
Mark
markralf is offline   Reply With Quote