Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #16
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I don't rate books, but here's a list of the books I enjoyed the most this year:

Non-fiction

Unbroken by Lauren Hillenbrand
Longitude by Dava Sobel
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larsen

Fiction
The Giver by Lois Lowry
The Blackhouse by Peter May
A Town Like Alice by Neville Shute
Faithful Place by Tana French (also In The Woods)
Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen (plus the rest of the Department Q series)
The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith, aka JK Rowling
Tea with the Black Dragon by R. A. MacAvoy
The Singing Sands by Josephine Tey
The Art Forger by B. A. Shapiro
The Caves of Perigord by Martin Walker
The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
This year I read 125 books, but gave 5 stars on Goodreads to only 4 books:

The Best of Frank O'Connor (one of my best finds ever, thanks to Fantasyfan at the MR Literary Book Club.)
Thus Was Adonis Murdered - Sarah Caudwell (brilliant, hilarious mystery)
The Inimitable Jeeves - P.G. Wodehouse (I'm surprised I gave that 5 stars, but I won't alter it now)
Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln - Doris Kearns Goodwin
Definitely agree with Thus Was Adonis Murdered. I read it based on your reco and it was a real giggle and a very good mystery.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #18
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
A Thousand Splendid Suns (My favorite of Khaled Hosseni's books)
Brideshead Revisited, which I hadn't read until this year but loved
Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
Tuck Everlasting, which I read out loud to my daughter
Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I started Behind the Beautiful Forevers and then put it aside .... I need to get back to it!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #20
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Das Boot (The Boat) , Lothar Buchheim

Embers of War: The Fall of An Empire and the Making of America's Vietnam, Fredrik Logevall

The Best of Connie Willis : Award-winning Stories , Connie Willis

Azincourt , Bernard Cornwell

Albion's Seed : Four British Folkways in America , David Hackett Fischer

Thucydides : The Reinvention of History , Donald Kagan

The Road of Danger , David Drake

The Guts , Roddy Doyle

A Short History of a Small Place , T.R. Pearson

In the Garden of Beasts , Erik Larsen

Excellent Women , Barbara Pym

re-reads

God Is An Englishman , R. F. Delderfield

A Dance to the Music of Time cycle , Anthony Powell

The Barrytown Trilogy , Roddy Doyle (now a quartet )

The Killer Angels , Michael Shaara

Can You Forgive Her? , Anthony Trollope
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #21
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Do you really need any more given how fine a book that is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I reread it a couple of times this year.
When compared to Cannery Row everything I read afterwards fell short. Perhaps, I should place the high quality classic fiction into a separate category to make it more fair to modern authors. But then what's stopping them from writing a book better than Cannery Row?

The same thing happened after I read Way Station and Nightfall. They were so good (imo) that other sci-fi I read had trouble comparing.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #22
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Non-Fiction:
Packing for Mars - Mary Roach
Stiff - Mary Roach
Gulp - Mary Roach
So much information. So much fun
D-Day: The Battle for Normandy - Antony Bevor
Team of Rivals - Doris Kearns Goodwin

Fiction:
7 Terry Pratchett novels
Men at Arms
Feet of Clay
Jingo
The Fifth Elephant
Night Watch
Thud!
Going Postal
4 Patrick O'Brian novels
H.M.S. Surprise
The Mauritius Command
Desolation Island
The Fortune of War
World War Z - Max Brooks
Leviathan Wakes - James S.A. Corey
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #23
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

The same thing happened after I read Way Station and Nightfall. They were so good (imo) that other sci-fi I read had trouble comparing.
Try some Ted Chiang.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #24
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
The Best of Connie Willis : Award-winning Stories , Connie Willis
OH MY! I didn't know she had a new best of out! And Double OH MY it opens with "A Letter from the Clearys" one of my all time favorites and which was my introduction to her.....what a wonderful story!
Old 12-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #25
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Winter's Bone - Daniel Wooddrell
Guests on Earth - Lee Smith
Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote (re-read)
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon
Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman
The Imperfectionists - Tom Rachman
Foxfire - Joyce Carol Oates
Beautiful Ruins - Jess Walter
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #26
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Chinua Achebe - Things Fall Apart
Kate Atkinson - Life after Life
Angela Carter - Nothing Sacred
John Hemming - The Conquest of the Incas
David Malouf - Remembering Babylon
Hilary Mantel - Wolf Hall
Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita
Frank O'Connor - The Best of Frank O'Connor (thanks from me too, fantasyfan!)
Amos Oz - A Tale of Love and Darkness

Rereads:
Jane Austen - Persuasion
Kate Grenville - The Secret River
Siegfried Sassoon - The War Poems
Lytton Strachey - Queen Victoria

The Literary Book Club has been a great way of reading books and authors new to me - I can't recommend it too highly!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #27
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
OH MY! I didn't know she had a new best of out! And Double OH MY it opens with "A Letter from the Clearys" one of my all time favorites and which was my introduction to her.....what a wonderful story!
Also my first introduction to her, and a great story . I have Doomsday Book and Blackout high on my TBR, after having read "Fire Watch" and "The Winds of Marble Arch".
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #28
Bertolt
Connoisseur
Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle K4, Kobo mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab
The Island by Victoria Hislop
The Penal Colony by Richard Herley - didn't think I would like it at first.
The Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse
Regeneration by Pat Barker
Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan
La Catedral del Mar (Cathedral of the Sea) by Ildefonso Falcones
Stasiland by Anna Funder
The Bastard of Istanbul by Elif Shafak
Every Man dies alone by Hans Fallada

Many of my favourite books are associated with places I know well (Berlin, Barcelona, Pays Cathare in France) or places I want to visit (Istanbul - going there in Feb) but these are all very good reads and some are exceptionally good IMO.
Bertolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
OK, the 5/5 books from the ones I've read this year. Ones in bold are stand-alone, or the first one in a series.

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold
How Dark the World Becomes by Frank Chadwick
Dragon Ship by Lee and Miller
Necessity's Child by Lee and Miller
Limits by Larry Niven
Shadow of Freedom by David Weber
The Road of Danger by David Drake
A Few Good Men by Sarah A. Hoyt
Grantville Gazette #46 edited by Paula Goodlett
Lens of the World by R. A. MacAvoy
Loot by Aaron Elkins
Rage of a Demon King by Raymond E. Feist
Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton
The Enchanter Reborn by L. Sprague de Camp et al.
Eight Million Gods by Wen Spencer
Thraxas and the Ice Dragon by Martin Scott
Elfhome by Wen Spencer
The King’s Peace by Jo Walton
The King’s Name by Jo Walton
Wolf in Shadow by John Lambshead
Fire Season by David Weber
Dark Fire by C J Sansom
Under a Graveyard Sky by John Ringo
Treecat Wars by David Weber and Jane Lindskold
1635: Music and Murder by David Carrico
Man Who Sold The Moon/Orphans in the Sky by Robert A. Heinlein
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
The Man-Kzin Wars XIV
A Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer
Phylogenesis by Alan Dean Foster
Sovereign by C. J. Samson

The top two are
Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

with

The King’s Peace by Jo Walton
How Dark the World Becomes by Frank Chadwick
Phylogenesis by Alan Dean Foster
Eight Million Gods by Wen Spencer

coming in joint third. (Cheating, I know!)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #30
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Since I missed this thread last year and my lists are short I hope you'll all forgive me if I do this:

2013:
Bridge of Birds: A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was, Barry Hughart
(29 books read in total)

2012:
Moon Over Soho, Ben Aaronovitch
Rivers of London, Ben Aaronovitch
London Falling, Paul Cornell
(34 books read)

2011:
Killer Move, Michael Marshall
Before I Go to Sleep, S.J. Watson
(30 books read)

2010:
Scott Pilgrim vol 1-6, Brian Lee O'Malley
The Rapture, Liz Jensen
(14 books read)

2009:
Let the Right One In, John Ajvide Lindqvist
The Servants, M.M. Smith (aka Michael Marshall, aka Michael Marshall Smith)
(18 books read)
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best of, favorite books