Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
jennaclaire
Enthusiast
jennaclaire began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Can I make it smaller?

So now that I am a little more comfortable playing around with converting media, here is the latest challenge.

Very large digital book. 975 pages. It's huge. I can totally use it as is on the Reader though. Font wise its ok. But the file size is literally 9.5MB, so it makes the Reader go really slow. Like opening it would give me time to walk to New Jersey and come back. That slow.

So I thought maybe converting that to LTF as well might help and make it smaller. Wow was I wrong. That winds up being 32MB after converting it. It is almost 4 times as big now.

Does anyone have any suggestions on making the file size more manageable so I can move around in this book a little faster?
jennaclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaclaire View Post
So now that I am a little more comfortable playing around with converting media, here is the latest challenge.

Very large digital book. 975 pages. It's huge. I can totally use it as is on the Reader though. Font wise its ok. But the file size is literally 9.5MB, so it makes the Reader go really slow. Like opening it would give me time to walk to New Jersey and come back. That slow.

So I thought maybe converting that to LTF as well might help and make it smaller. Wow was I wrong. That winds up being 32MB after converting it. It is almost 4 times as big now.

Does anyone have any suggestions on making the file size more manageable so I can move around in this book a little faster?
Not sure I understand what the book is or where you got it. Was if from Sony, or did you convert it from another source?

I started a thread at ttp://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16748
about two books with I which had dramatic slowdown in page-turning time as I progressed in the book. I'm not sure this is the same thing as you are experiencing, but if so, you will note there that one of the books I had was not long at all, and the other was much larger than the one you list.

My conclusion is that it is some glitch in the digitizing of the books by the publisher that now and then causes this problem, as others have experienced it also. Do any of the other books you have do this? If not, it must be the book itself.

If I have misinterpreted your problem, I apologize , but it sounds like the one I and others have had. I really don't think it has anything to do with the size of the book. OTOH, even with these books, I had no trouble starting the Reader, just slowdown in page turns.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
jennaclaire
Enthusiast

Sounds like it may be the same problem. I thought it was due to book size so I switched it over to the LRF format thinking it would make it better only to see it ballooned in size. Not sure what to make of that one.

No other books have done this. Just the one. Hmm.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:18 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You might try a different conversion app, could be something about the file didn't sit well with the app you used, but another might handle it better. Also, if you embedded fonts in the file, try it without doing that -- embedded fonts add a fair bit of overhead (but >3X is just ridiculous!).

Which app did you use to make the LRF?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you've used Book Designer you can set the font to a smaller size if need be and also set the word spacing so it's less and also set the margins to 0 all around and turn off headers/footers for more on a page. All this will give you less pages with more per page.

If you've used any of the Libprs500 converters, set the font size and the word space and no header and left & right margins to 0. That will help.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #6
jennaclaire
Enthusiast

I used PDFLRF because its really the only one I am familiar with thus far. But I've been eyeing LIBPRS500 and thinking its time to install it and give it a whirl.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
PDF is not a good format to start with. You can try to load it into Book Designer and then use the original PDF to format it it. But if it has graphics, the graphics won't import.

And PDF2LRF might work to sort out your problem and keep the graphics and more of the formatting. The only way to know what works best is to try them both.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote