Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2018, 04:40 AM   #1
dooh
dooh began at the beginning.

Device: kindle voyage
Just got my first Kobo, advice needed(setting up)

Hello all,

I just bought a used KA1 and this is my first Kobo device ever.

I've been using Voyage and I'm quite happy with it but I know with Kobo devices, I'll have more control and more options to play with and thus, I'd like to customize it just as much as I want.

From what I've read, Koreader seems to be a must on Kobo devices so I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum in the past 2 weeks. But English isn't my first language and I just want to make sure that it is totally safe before I start setting up the device.

A little advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my questions:

1. In order to run Koreader, either KSM or KFmon must be installed first but which do you recommend/prefer and why?

2. I'd also like to apply a custom screensaver on my KA1 and THIS seems to be the only working custom screensaver hack for KA1 at the moment. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

3. In what order should I process if I have a firmware update in the future?
a. Firmware Update > KSM or KFmon(plus Koreader) > Custom SS Hack
b. KSM of KFmon(plus Koreader) > Firmware Update > Custom SS Hack
c. Order doesn't matter

4. Any advice for a first time Kobo user(coming from Kindle)?

Thank you in advance.
dooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:06 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think koreader has its own standby handling and its own screensaver setting, so if you go with koreader you're already covered. The screensaver hack is for nickel - the stock firmware reader. You'll find several hacks and mods and patches that are made for nickel, and do not apply when running koreader instead.

Basically there should be no reason to hack koreader as it's open source and can be changed directly, vs. nickel which we can only find creative ways to work around.

Last edited by frostschutz; 11-03-2018 at 05:09 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2018, 06:04 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Koreader is not a must unless it has a killer feature you cannot do without. I've been using Kobos since the Touch, and don't need Koreader. I looked at it once out of curiosity; that was it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:48 AM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Koreader is not a must unless it has a killer feature you cannot do without. I've been using Kobos since the Touch, and don't need Koreader. I looked at it once out of curiosity; that was it.
I agree. The ability to use alternative software was a factor in choosing the Kobo, but so far I haven't found a need to actually do it.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:29 AM   #5
dooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I think koreader has its own standby handling and its own screensaver setting, so if you go with koreader you're already covered. The screensaver hack is for nickel - the stock firmware reader. You'll find several hacks and mods and patches that are made for nickel, and do not apply when running koreader instead.

Basically there should be no reason to hack koreader as it's open source and can be changed directly, vs. nickel which we can only find creative ways to work around.
@frostschutz Hi and thank you for the reply. I wasn't aware that I could set a custom ss within Koreader! I must have missed that part. I have a better understanding now. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
@meeera Hi, it's just that I have too many pdf files and everyone seemed to insist on having Koreader especially when it comes to viewing pdf's. I read that it's far better than the default viewer on Kobo's(or any e-ink devices). Thank you for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I agree. The ability to use alternative software was a factor in choosing the Kobo, but so far I haven't found a need to actually do it.
@murraypaul Thank you for your reply. I guess I should just try playing with the device as it is for now and give nickel a thorough try before considering Koreader.

Thank you all very much for replying. Very much appreciated.
Advert
Old 11-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #6
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooh View Post
3. In what order should I process if I have a firmware update in the future?
a. Firmware Update > KSM or KFmon(plus Koreader) > Custom SS Hack
b. KSM of KFmon(plus Koreader) > Firmware Update > Custom SS Hack
c. Order doesn't matter
Thank you in advance.
  • KSM allows you to handle firmware updates in a way so that KSM survives them. So there is no further action needed after a firmware update.
  • KFmon needs one file to be reinstalled after a firmware update. (EDIT: I just see that there is no install package provided that includes only this one file. So you will have to reinstall KFmon anew, apart from the associated pngs.)
  • Koreader itself is not concerned by a firmware update. So no action needed there.

Last edited by tshering; 11-03-2018 at 09:00 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
KOReader and the stock software coexist on the Kobos and Kindles, both function without regard to the other. You can still do anything with the stock software, that you could before KOReader was added. Trying out having both for awhile, won't hurt anything. You can put books/pdfs that you don't want the stock software to deal with behind a "hidden" folder and the stock software won't even see them.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@tshering: Yep, Nickel doesn't try to re-parse stuff that's already in the db, so it'd serve no purpose besides making things more confusing to ship a "KoboRoot-only" package .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:12 PM   #9
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@tshering: Yep, Nickel doesn't try to re-parse stuff that's already in the db, so it'd serve no purpose besides making things more confusing to ship a "KoboRoot-only" package .
Not sure whether we are talking about the same thing. I wanted to say that all that is needed to make kfmon work after a firmware update is to reinstall on-animator.sh. But sure it might be confusing for some users.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:42 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@tshering: Yep, that's just it .
Old 11-04-2018, 03:56 AM   #11
dooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
  • KSM allows you to handle firmware updates in a way so that KSM survives them. So there is no further action needed after a firmware update.
  • KFmon needs one file to be reinstalled after a firmware update. (EDIT: I just see that there is no install package provided that includes only this one file. So you will have to reinstall KFmon anew, apart from the associated pngs.)
  • Koreader itself is not concerned by a firmware update. So no action needed there.
@tshering Hi and thank you very much for clarifying. I might try installing both KSM and KFmon in the end but it's nice to know that I'll have one less thing to care about with KSM. And also, happy to know that I won't have to re-install Koreader with every firmware update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
KOReader and the stock software coexist on the Kobos and Kindles, both function without regard to the other. You can still do anything with the stock software, that you could before KOReader was added. Trying out having both for awhile, won't hurt anything. You can put books/pdfs that you don't want the stock software to deal with behind a "hidden" folder and the stock software won't even see them.

Luck;
Ken
@Ken Maltby Hi and thank you for the explanation. It'll take some time getting used to this whole new system but it's fun to learn already.
I couldn't find a way to install Koreader on my Voyage(I believe it's almost impossible to jailbreak since the last firmware update) so I'm really looking forward to trying it out on KA1. Hope it handles my pdf's well enough.
Keeping certain files "hidden" sounds like fun too

I'm going to install KSM with Koreader today and see how it goes.
Thank you all for your kind replies!
Old 11-04-2018, 09:51 AM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@dooh: Note that, by design, you can't have both KFMon and KSM installed at the same time .

(Well, you *can*, but they're mutually exclusive: KSM will bypass KFMon, so you can't actually get in a weird situation with two different things fighting to launch stuff, which is good ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-07-2018 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:07 AM   #13
dooh

@NiLuJe Thank you for the heads up. Glad I didn't try that yet!

I've been using KSM+Koreader on KA1 for 2 days now and PDF viewing is absolutely better than the stock viewer. Everything works flawlessly and KA1's 7.8" screen is crisp and clear, overall I think it's a great match especially for PDF viewing and if you're not buying much from Kobo store.

On a side note, it is almost embarrassing that I was so afraid to give this a try in the first place. It took me less than 5 minutes to install KSM+Koreader on KA1. Thought it'd take hours.

Thanks to everyone for replying.