Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-03-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
Sailor Sue
Sailor Sue began at the beginning.

Device: PRST-1
Question Surname,first name authors again...

Hi,
I spent the best part of the winter re-naming my folders by Surname- no small feat with 2000 folders plus some were doubles separated by commas.
Having just had my external hard drive fail I'm pretty pleased that they were all on my computer (exclamation )
I have been using Calibre to convert the format of my next batch to read. While I was disappointed that the previously full management system was now almost empty I didn't worry too much. Until after Tea when a realised that the management system was making a NEW folder with (you guessed it) Author First name, Surname separated by a comma (exclamation).
Having read the previous posts and trying to get it sorted again (before it gets out of hand) I thought hey 'let it be ' I can live with it now that I have my neat mega folder as I want it and if Calibre wants to do it the other way I'm not going to fight it.
Please reassure me that my master folder is safe and it won't be reorganised at some future up-grade to the programme, I promise I won't touch the other folder at all.
Thanks in anticipation
Sailor Sue
Sailor Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:09 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Sailor Sue - the safest way to maintain a separate folder structure is to use the Save to Disk feature, in which you would use a Template to define the required folder structure.

As you appear to have discovered the hard way: within a calibre library you shouldn't change the structure of the folders and files, or change their names. My advice regarding calibre libraries is 'look but don't touch'.

However, try asking yourself this: "What will I do with a mega/master folder that I can't do via the calibre GUI?"

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-03-2018 at 07:14 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moderator Notice

@sealbeater, DNSB, kacir - I moved your discussion into its own thread ==>> Pros & Cons of using the Calibre GUI

Please refrain from riding your philosophic hobby-horses up and down between the lines of an argument. Especially in threads started by new members who have asked a straightforward question and no doubt expect straightforward answers.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

@sealbeater, DNSB, kacir - I moved your discussion into its own thread ==>> Pros & Cons of using the Calibre GUI

Please refrain from riding your philosophic hobby-horses up and down between the lines of an argument. Especially in threads started by new members who have asked a straightforward question and no doubt expect straightforward answers.

BR
My apologies to all who were offended by the discussion.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:56 AM   #5
Sailor Sue
Sailor Sue began at the beginning.

Device: PRST-1
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Sailor Sue - the safest way to maintain a separate folder structure is to use the Save to Disk feature, in which you would use a Template to define the required folder structure.

As you appear to have discovered the hard way: within a calibre library you shouldn't change the structure of the folders and files, or change their names. My advice regarding calibre libraries is 'look but don't touch'.

However, try asking yourself this: "What will I do with a mega/master folder that I can't do via the calibre GUI?"

BR
Hi BetterRed,
thanks for your contribution.
It's the glass is half full scenario...
I use Calibre to convert formats
I use the mega library to search for my next reading title.
In the OLD days I used to swap real books, now I swap digital books (as many other people do) Some of those friends are like me and are not so techy minded so just keep making more Calibre libraries to search. and I even find folders labelled : 'you'll find it here!' where they have got really confused and started again.
My latest method is working fine so I'll continue.
The back it up to hard drive was also tried in the past but since I'm still recovering a major crash with it I'm wondering if it's sensible I may just put a back up on a big stick ......
Enough time to have lunch
Regards
Sailor Sue
Sailor Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2018, 05:12 AM   #6
Claudio_tls
Claudio_tls began at the beginning.

Good morning to all,
I just joined the forum and found this thread, i hope i am in the right place.
After a while i am using again Calibre to manage my e-books, updated to the very last version and discovered that adding books as "Agatha Christie - Addio, Miss Marple.pdf" the result of the default regex "(?P<author>[^_]+) - (?P<title>.+)" is:

Addio, Miss Marple
Christie Agatha

I tried to click the box "swap author.... " but has no effect at all.
I remember an older version was working perfectly.
I tried to fiddle with the regex but i am a true dummy on it.
Any suggestion?
Thank you in advance
Claudio
Claudio_tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:17 AM   #7
Claudio_tls
Claudio_tls began at the beginning.

Just forgotten to say that the forma i am looking for is :
Addio, Miss Marple
Agatha Christie
Thank you again.