Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #76
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Aren't "most" ePubs non fixed layout.

In particular, in my first post, I was thinking more of this quote:

Quote:
... In addition the firm has switched to using a capacitive touchscreen. This takes advantage of the way a user's fingers disrupt an electrical field to provide more accurate feedback than the infrared tech used in Kobo's Glow e-readers.

"It gives the ability to pinch-and-zoom when you want to zoom in on a particular piece of text or image," the firm's general manager of devices Wayne White told the BBC.
I thought that the latest IR touch screens were multi-touch capable (I may be wrong about this): pinch to zoom is possible with their "current" IR screens, they just chose not to implement it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #77
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

I thought that the latest IR touch screens were multi-touch capable (I may be wrong about this): pinch to zoom is possible with their "current" IR screens, they just chose not to implement it.
For what it's worth, I also saw that a two finger swipe up or down will raise and lower brightness. Somewhere between 5-10 point capacitive capabilities. It could really simplify some of the UI actions.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #78
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I wonder if the new "edge to edge" glass and capacitive design of the new Aura make the e-ink screen any more break resistant? I'm wondering because the glass extending onto the bezel might change how stresses are transferred. OTOH, I guess I've seen plenty of android tablets with "edge to edge" screens cracked online... I suppose any appreciable stress near the middle of the display is still going be catastrophic, I just wonder if it takes more than to break a recessed e-ink display(Mini, Touch, Glo, AuraHD) which is mounted differently.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #79
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I wonder if the new "edge to edge" glass and capacitive design of the new Aura make the e-ink screen any more break resistant? I'm wondering because the glass extending onto the bezel might change how stresses are transferred. OTOH, I guess I've seen plenty of android tablets with "edge to edge" screens cracked online... I suppose any appreciable stress near the middle of the display is still going be catastrophic, I just wonder if it takes more than to break a recessed e-ink display(Mini, Touch, Glo, AuraHD) which is mounted differently.
I don't know the answer for sure but we have had iPads with the same edge to edge glass design since they came out...we still use all daily...iPad 1, 2, 3 and mini, and none have had issues. They are in cases though, either a Smart Cover or folio type. But I keep all my ereaders in cases too so I'll get one for the new Aura too.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #80
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

Yes, epub has a flexible layout… at least epub2.
Epub3 has both flexible and fixed (paged) layout.
So, ceteris paribus I guess it will only work (for now) with the Access kepub renderer. Which is epub3 complient.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #81
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
My teen age grandson is master Iphone screen braker!!
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #82
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I wonder if the new "edge to edge" glass and capacitive design of the new Aura make the e-ink screen any more break resistant?
I wondered that myself. The glass top of the screen will be susceptible to breakage, but it might stiffen the unit and reduce the amount of substrate breakage from twisting or bending.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #83
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
The video i saw of the aura looks very nice. i was considering the new sony because i am not really into backlight. but after seeing the video i may have to reconsider.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #84
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
My teen age grandson is master Iphone screen braker!!
You know how to cure that? You break it, you buy the next one... Amazing how working to pay for stuff instills a sense of responsibility in teenagers. Suddenly they're not nearly so casual with fragile things costing hundreds of dollars. When I was a kid, if you wanted something outside the normal range of things, you worked for it and my, but wages were low then. Fire was new, arithmetic not nearly perfected -no fractions or decimals, just pieces things broke into when you hit them, and when you referred to a guy as a Neanderthal, you may not have been exaggerating...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #85
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
First thing I noticed from the new Aure pictures is that the book covers fit the home screen tiles properly, unlike my Glo where all except the top left tile are the wrong size/shape..

I suppose the new Aura must be running different firmware, and hopefully it will be released for the other models too. I don't like the tiled home screen, but it would be less irritating if the tiles were sized to better fit their content.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:49 AM   #86
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
I'm not sure about break resistance (well, dropping directly on the floor with the screen facing downwards should break it while with the old design, only the frame may break...), but I am very much concerned about fingerprint proneness and glare of the shiny new Clarity(aka Glarity?)Display(tm) of the new Aura...
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:40 AM   #87
DStyle
Connoisseur
DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.

Device: KOBO Aura HD
I'm going to buy a Kobo e-reader. Also getting a screen protector - crystal clear or anti glare - which is better?
DStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:47 AM   #88
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStyle View Post
I'm going to buy a Kobo e-reader. Also getting a screen protector - crystal clear or anti glare - which is better?
Generally speaking I always go for crystal clear as most anti glare tend to pixelate the screen.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:50 AM   #89
DStyle
Connoisseur
DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.

Device: KOBO Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Generally speaking I always go for crystal clear as most anti glare tend to pixelate the screen.

Thanks for your advise.
DStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #90
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
First thing I noticed from the new Aure pictures is that the book covers fit the home screen tiles properly, unlike my Glo where all except the top left tile are the wrong size/shape..
They seem to have dropped the status of the books in those screenshots. I also suspect they have selected covers that are exactly the right proportions to look good.
Quote:
I suppose the new Aura must be running different firmware, and hopefully it will be released for the other models too.
Yes and probably. 2.8.1 already has code to support it. And I think it was in 2.6.1 as well. Kobo appear to have used the codename "Phoenix" for the Aura. I am pretty sure we will see all these changes on the Glo and AuraHD. The Mini and the Touch, I'm not so sure.
Quote:
I don't like the tiled home screen, but it would be less irritating if the tiles were sized to better fit their content.
I like the tiled home screen, but I agree it would look better if they sized them better. I think simply centring the covers would look better as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote