Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like to see (and contribute with) book uploads for other e-readers?
Add a new Book Uploads section for multiple formats 21 63.64%
Add a new Book Uploads section specific for the iRex iLiad 12 36.36%
I have handmade public domain books I'd like to upload and share 9 27.27%
I'd love to download handmade public domain e-books 16 48.48%
More comments (please explain in your post) 5 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2007, 07:59 AM   #46
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Don't expect a "one format to rule them all" any time soon.
There's 2 reasons for this:
- reflowable formats and fixed version are both needed for the moment. As long as reflowable formats won't provide hyphenation and more advanced typesetting, PDF and similar formats will be the alternative.
- DRM: both publishers and hardware manufacturers will use DRM. Right now, Mobipocket and LRF are already in competition for this market.

The first problem could be fixed if all e-ink readers adopted much more advanced software for rendering reflowable formats. But for hyphenation, you need a dictionnary, so the problem isn't necessarily that simple: for each book, you need to know it's language. I'm not sure that the metadata of every reflowable format contain this information.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:48 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Don't expect a "one format to rule them all" any time soon.
There's 2 reasons for this:
- reflowable formats and fixed version are both needed for the moment. As long as reflowable formats won't provide hyphenation and more advanced typesetting, PDF and similar formats will be the alternative.
- DRM: both publishers and hardware manufacturers will use DRM. Right now, Mobipocket and LRF are already in competition for this market.

The first problem could be fixed if all e-ink readers adopted much more advanced software for rendering reflowable formats. But for hyphenation, you need a dictionnary, so the problem isn't necessarily that simple: for each book, you need to know it's language. I'm not sure that the metadata of every reflowable format contain this information.
I have used Wordperfect. What Wordperfect did was put in non-displayable hyphens that were used to hyphenate words. So if these ebook formats supported that then the hyphens could be put in at the time f the book creation and the software creating the books can handle that and not the reader. Also, it would allow us to put in hyphens as needed as well.

Given all the various reflowable ebook formats today, which one(s) do you feel are the best ones (ignoring the DRM issue)?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:11 AM   #48
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
But I also understand that as PDF (or any other locked down format) gains users, it makes it that much harder for a standard eBook format to be created.
That's PDF would be very bad as a general format for e-books.

As a format for a specific reader it makes perfect sense -- except for a publisher who expects to make money out of handcrafting books.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 AM   #49
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
If you guys agree with me, this is how we'll do it:
  • In the iRex iLiad forum, we create an upload category for the iLiad - analogous to the upload section for the Reader.
  • In the E-Books forum, we create an upload category for multi-formatted e-books, i.e. e-books in formats that can be easily converted for a wide range of readers.

Remarks:
  • It's obviously OK to upload a book multiple times if you have it ready in various formats.
  • Each upload section requires moderation (see HarryT's excellent guidelines). If you like to join our team as a moderator to keep an eye on things, help to improve MobileRead, and hang out with a bunch of really cool guys, please PM me.
  • The E-Books view tool has been rewritten last night to support multiple upload categories.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #50
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
The question of HTML/dynamic vs. PDF/static page is a question of what an ebook should be. Static means the ebook should be just like a paper book with only minor enhancements wheras dynamic content tries to introduce new features to the reading process. Which one will win is impossible to predict.

Soft hyphens do work in modern browsers so the HTML source could be augmented by shy entities.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #51
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
But... I have one suggestion:
On the frontpage, remove uploads from the "Latest Forum Activity" section. Instead add a new section specifically for latest e-book uploads. This way we can track both more easily, user threads and user uploads.
This is a good suggestion and I am planning on doing this. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:31 AM   #52
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
The question of HTML/dynamic vs. PDF/static page is a question of what an ebook should be. Static means the ebook should be just like a paper book with only minor enhancements wheras dynamic content tries to introduce new features to the reading process. Which one will win is impossible to predict.

Soft hyphens do work in modern browsers so the HTML source could be augmented by shy entities.
You're wrong, you can have links in what you call static pages too. HTML is not much more dynamic than some fixed size format, it's just easier to reflow. If you want advance design and typesetting, fixed size formats are much more powerful than HTML.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
If you guys agree with me, this is how we'll do it:
  • In the iRex iLiad forum, we create an upload category for the iLiad - analogous to the upload section for the Reader.
  • In the E-Books forum, we create an upload category for multi-formatted e-books, i.e. e-books in formats that can be easily converted for a wide range of readers.
What I think would be good is a just one database of books/links. But it would need another field to show what format it was in. And I also feel that if anyone wants to upload the original source, then that would be done separately in a different forum with the database would show that in the format field. In the topic, after the date, put in the format i.e. LIT, LRF1 (Librie) LRF2 (Reader), PDB, etc.. LRF for the Reader might not work on the Librie which is why LRF1 and LRF2.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:41 AM   #54
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
You are still thinking along the lines of "every device should have their own close, proprietary format that they support" and that we need to translate from a common format to that closed, proprietary format.

That's what we basically have today - with everyone disagreeing on what the common format is.
No, no! That's not what I'm thinking about. The reason is mostly esthetic. The people working on books here are working for a visual output, and I was concerned that the nice things they do might look like crap when ported to an other device. What I'm thinking of is a translator that would take this into account. Because this is what we could say is the MR signature, not the code, the visual aspect.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:37 AM   #55
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

I could easily enable Feedbooks to communicate with other websites too, using XML or even a full REST service. This way, people could find both handmade books and books available on Feedbooks using the same interface.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:30 PM   #56
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
Unless all eBook readers are the same size, and all human eyes are the same, I feel that dynamic will win hands down.

We've already covered the reader physical size issue.

But there is great benefit to allowing the reader to choose how the book is formatted. A person who has trouble reading italics, for example, can tell the eBook reader to replace italics with a different font - making it much easier to read. Also, someone who has good eyesight can opt for smaller text, while people with not-so-good eyesight can opt for larger text.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #57
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
No, no! That's not what I'm thinking about. The reason is mostly esthetic. The people working on books here are working for a visual output, and I was concerned that the nice things they do might look like crap when ported to an other device. What I'm thinking of is a translator that would take this into account. Because this is what we could say is the MR signature, not the code, the visual aspect.
I think I know what you are talking about. Too often I see a PDF-translated-LIT file. A file that can't be reflowed because the information simply isn't there in the original.

That's the problem with translation - some data is usually filtered out.

For example, a OpenDoc that's translated to a PDF. The PDF does not contain paragraph breaks anymore. PDF didn't need that information, so there was no provision made for it. So when translating a PDF back to an OpenDoc, someone has to provide that paragraph break information.

What I want is to eliminate the need for any translation process.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I think I know what you are talking about. Too often I see a PDF-translated-LIT file. A file that can't be reflowed because the information simply isn't there in the original.

That's the problem with translation - some data is usually filtered out.

For example, a OpenDoc that's translated to a PDF. The PDF does not contain paragraph breaks anymore. PDF didn't need that information, so there was no provision made for it. So when translating a PDF back to an OpenDoc, someone has to provide that paragraph break information.

What I want is to eliminate the need for any translation process.
Why someone would want to go from LIT to PDF is just beyond me. The problem is a lot of people are totally 100% clueless and it shows. How many times have you seen an ebook in text look like total crap? Take the ebook in LIT, convert it to HTML, do away with the ToC (because it's a seperate file and they are too lazy to deal with it), convert to PDF which will look ok, then use a PDF to text converter that loses all the formatting such as italics, emdashes, proper paragraph ends, and you can easily get one hell of a shitty mess all from a well formatted LIT file.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #59
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why someone would want to go from LIT to PDF is just beyond me.
They were going from PDF, running pdftohtml and using the resulting html file to create a LIT file.

The problem was the original source for the LIT was a PDF document. So no paragraph markers were there.

Quote:
The problem is a lot of people are totally 100% clueless and it shows. How many times have you seen an ebook in text look like total crap?
Too many to count.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:01 PM   #60
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
What I think would be good is a just one database of books/links. But it would need another field to show what format it was in. And I also feel that if anyone wants to upload the original source, then that would be done separately in a different forum with the database would show that in the format field. In the topic, after the date, put in the format i.e. LIT, LRF1 (Librie) LRF2 (Reader), PDB, etc.. LRF for the Reader might not work on the Librie which is why LRF1 and LRF2.
Good suggestion and I think it will be similar to what we'll have set up (by tomorrow or so). If you go to the E-Books Uploads, you'll see a new column that shows the format (or the device the book was specifically made for). Also there is a drop-down menu where you can sort for a specific format of uploaded books. I think this is easier than having us add the format info in the title every time.