Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-09-2021, 07:54 PM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle firmware update 5.13.5

The Kindle Source Code Notice page at Amazon is now showing firmware version 5.13.5 for 8th generation and newer Kindle devices.

The new firmware version is not yet available via the Kindle E-Reader Software Updates at the time I am writing this, but is likely to be coming soon.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:26 PM   #2
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Pretty quick from last update. Wonder if it's general bug fixes or tweaks to the last release, or something new.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2021, 08:57 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you think 7th gen Kindles are now done getting firmware updates?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:26 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you think 7th gen Kindles are now done getting firmware updates?
Too soon to tell right now, but if so then there will be no further updates for the Voyage or Paperwhite 3.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:42 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Pretty quick from last update. Wonder if it's general bug fixes or tweaks to the last release, or something new.
The last few updates came out about two months apart and it has been two months since 5.13.4.
Advert
Old 02-10-2021, 10:19 AM   #6
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The last few updates came out about two months apart and it has been two months since 5.13.4.
Ah okay, it just seemed sooner to me, probably because I was still posting about the last update recently.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:46 AM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Interestingly enough, I just noticed that my Oasis 3, which is the device I use most often, is still on 5.13.2. Wifi is always on, and I have plenty of space on the device, so I'm confused as to why it hasn't updated. My Oasis 2 and my Voyage are both on 5.13.4.

I did reboot it today, so maybe it will update now, but that still begs the question, why didn't it update before?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:40 AM   #8
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Interestingly enough, I just noticed that my Oasis 3, which is the device I use most often, is still on 5.13.2. Wifi is always on, and I have plenty of space on the device, so I'm confused as to why it hasn't updated. My Oasis 2 and my Voyage are both on 5.13.4.

I did reboot it today, so maybe it will update now, but that still begs the question, why didn't it update before?
Neither did mine. I wonder if they found bugs in 5.13.4 serious enough that they halted the trickle-out to new devices or something.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #9
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I always download load the updates and manually do the updates
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:37 PM   #10
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Shari
I always manually update anymore because my updates never seem to come in. Still the same issue with both of my paperwhites. The Wi-Fi is left on but they don't seem to pick up updates. My Paperwhite 4 is currently on 5.13.2. This never used to be an issue, but since 2020 the updates just won't come through on their own for some reason.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:42 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I always manually update anymore because my updates never seem to come in. Still the same issue with both of my paperwhites. The Wi-Fi is left on but they don't seem to pick up updates. My Paperwhite 4 is currently on 5.13.2. This never used to be an issue, but since 2020 the updates just won't come through on their own for some reason.
I always manually update as well (even after doing this bricked a Voyage one time), and the only time I can remember one updating automatically was when I preordered a Kindle and there was an update available as soon as I unboxed it.

I wonder if it matters if it is plugged into power (e.g. overnight).

The whole thing is kind of weird, I have never had reason to manually update a Fire tablet: it just happens, and you don’t have to wait weeks and months. Why wouldn’t they do the same for Kindles (not that everyone here would appreciate it, unless there was a setting to opt in to automatic update).

Last edited by tomsem; 02-10-2021 at 02:02 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:34 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I find really annoying is having to wait for new features in the firmware to start working.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #13
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
What I find really annoying is having to wait for new features in the firmware to start working.
me too. it seems they release updates before they are ready to make the new features work.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:13 PM   #14
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
I agree, especially if it's something I'm curious to try out. I'm so impatient, though.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:33 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I agree, especially if it's something I'm curious to try out. I'm so impatient, though.
There should be no reason to be impatient. All new features should work when the new firmware version is installed and running.