Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 04:27 AM   #1
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
My first impressions of the E.Edge

So I finally got my Entourage Edge. I ordered it from Amazon U.S and had it shipped through a forwarding company to Norway.

The first thing I noticed when unpacking it from the box was:
If I'm going to keep this in my back-pack I need a sleeve to put it in. I thought that since the two screens fold together that would be protection enough, but since there are no hooks to keep it closed I'm afraid something might get jammed between them and damage one of the screens.

The second thing I noticed was that it's really heavy. I charged it for 8 hours and started to read the user manual. The weight is less of a problem when you get used to support the device on something.

The e-ink screen side looks amazing, the lcd screen suffers from glare in a brightly lit room.

As I clicked through the user manual on the e-ink side I noticed that the forward button has a distinct click sound. Coming from the K2i with a more subtle click sound I find it annoying.

Imagine sitting in a quite library clicking away, I'm pretty sure I would be told to go somewhere-else. The remedy for this might be to use the stylus and click on the arrow pages at the bottom of the screen but this is somewhat cumbersome. What was the engineers thinking . If Amazon has managed to keep the click sound to a minimum surely others must be able to do the same.

Being able to replace the battery is a good thing and a big plus. The SD-card slot is also very handy.

I'm sure I will have more things to point out after using it for a while. These where just my first impressions.

I've bought myself a SDHC card (Sandisc 16GB Extreme 30MB/s) and moved the device storage to the SD Card by following the steps in the Entourage Manual. I've now got 14.8 GB instead of the 4 GB internal memory.

Click image for larger version

Name:	entourage_edge1.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	61931

Last edited by thinkpad; 12-01-2010 at 01:55 PM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've played around on the LCD-screen side and scrolling is a real pain. I opened the help section and scrolling the text is just lagging. It doesn't matter if I try to scroll with my finger the stylus or with the trackball. It still lags

Scrolling in web pages is somewhat smoother. It seems to be the help app that's got some scrolling issues.

Last edited by thinkpad; 11-28-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Well, I'm sorry you're having some difficulties. I find the PE to be very responsive.
And the click of the page button is so soft it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe yours is louder.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The regular Edge is pretty large and heavy. That's why I decided not to get it after my initial interest, and why I went for the Pocket when it came out.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
thinkpad
David

One feature I found absolutely brilliant was when you're on a web page with a lot of text and you want to read it on the e-ink screen you have the option to convert the page to e-pub (on the fly) and read it on the e-ink screen. I've tried it on 1 page so far and it worked like a charm
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 01:31 AM   #6
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
One feature I found absolutely brilliant was when you're on a web page with a lot of text and you want to read it on the e-ink screen you have the option to convert the page to e-pub (on the fly) and read it on the e-ink screen.
Yes! I love this, too. Most of my reading on the edge is web pages printed to pdf, then loaded onto an SD card and onto the edge. Being able to do this right on the device is killer.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:23 AM   #7
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
I've played around on the LCD-screen side and scrolling is a real pain. I opened the help section and scrolling the text is just lagging. It doesn't matter if I try to scroll with my finger the stylus or with the trackball. It still lags
No such problems here.

Do you have difficulties with the virtual keyboard too? Which firmware is on your eDGe?

Quote:
One feature I found absolutely brilliant was when you're on a web page with a lot of text and you want to read it on the e-ink screen you have the option to convert the page to e-pub (on the fly) and read it on the e-ink screen.
Yes. I've come to use this feature very often now too.

Quote:
distinct click sound
You are right there, but I think it wears off a little. When working with the eDGe I'm using the stylus most of the, and so it doesn't really matter to me.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:04 AM   #8
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
No such problems here.

Do you have difficulties with the virtual keyboard too? Which firmware is on your eDGe?
I believe the device was shipped with the latest firmware. The update app told me that I already had the latest release. No problem with the keyboard.

I guess part of my problem is coming from a HTC Hero with a capacitive touch screen where every little scrolling goes extremely smooth. I'm not used having to make a firm press for the scrolling to start.

Going away from the trackball on the smaller model is a good thing because so far I've found it absolutely useless. It wouldn't be so bad if it actually worked but scrolling with it isn't any fun experience.

I've ordered a SANDISK SECURE DIGITAL EXTREME SDHC 8GB 30MB/S
and were planning to move everything out to this memory card. Another thing that is a very good feature
Old 11-29-2010, 06:23 AM   #9
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Going away from the trackball on the smaller model is a good thing ... It wouldn't be so bad if it actually worked but scrolling with it isn't any fun experience.
Probably true.

Quote:
because so far I've found it absolutely useless.
You'll need it with Documents To Go ...
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Quote:
I believe the device was shipped with the latest firmware. The update app told me that I already had the latest release. No problem with the keyboard.
The current firmware version for the Pocket eDGe is "DINGO 1.10". You can find this under Menu - Settings - About - Build Number.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
pendragginp
Guru

boris, I think the OP has the original Edge, not the Pocket - ?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Ah, yes. There's so much going around about the Pocket eDGe, I lose track sometimes

The original eDGe is currently at DINGO 1.6. enTourage has said 1.10 will be released this week for the original eDGe.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:06 AM   #13
thinkpad
David

I tried the journal application yesterday. What a treat, very useful . Does anyone know if it's possible to get more precision with a Wacom Penabled pen?

Last edited by thinkpad; 11-30-2010 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:30 AM   #14
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
I tried the journal application yesterday. What a treat, very useful . Does anyone know if it's possible to get more precision with a Wacom Penabled pen?
I don't know whether I'd say more "precision"... but definitely more comfort, ergonomics etc. We've discussed pens that do and don't work in more detail on the entourage edge forum, but the fancy upgraded pen that a few of us chose is the Motion Computing L-series pen. http://www.motioncomputing.com/choose/spec_pen_L.htm

Note that the eraser on the pen doesn't work, but the pen is super nice. Many of us consider it an essential upgrade.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #15
borisb
Addict

If by "precision" you mean writing smaller and more cleanly, then yes.

Tags
entourage edge