Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
ebook-convert corrupts Windows XP command.exe environment?

In the course of trying to make my external fix for the KIindle 3 news problem compatible with Windows XP, I discovered that ebook-convert seems to corrupt the Windows XP command.exe environment.

The symptom is that if you run ebook-convert with a recipe, it completes the download but somehow corrupts the environment in such a way that command.exe no longer runs batch files, and if ebook-convert was called within a batch file that batch file terminates immediately after ebook-convert. The built-in Windows commands still work, but no batch file will run--the command prompt simply returns as if you had only hit the Enter key if you try to run a batch file.

You have to close the command window and open a new one to get back to normal batch file operation, so something got clobbered when ebook-convert ran.

This doesn't happen with Windows 7.

Any thoughts from someone familair with ebook-convert?
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickredding View Post
In the course of trying to make my external fix for the KIindle 3 news problem compatible with Windows XP, I discovered that ebook-convert seems to corrupt the Windows XP command.exe environment.
Corrupt? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickredding View Post
The symptom is that if you run ebook-convert with a recipe, it completes the download but somehow corrupts the environment in such a way that command.exe no longer runs batch files,
If your going to run ebook-convert in a batch file in XP you have to use the start command with the wait switch. If I recall correctly

start /wait ebook-convert.exe

I believe this goes for other calibre command line tools too.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-18-2011 at 12:24 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Thanks for the quick response. Using START does indeed solve the problem.

I don't want to seem like I'm nitpicking, but the Calibre command-line commands DO clobber something in the environment if they have to run in a separate window (i.e. environment) if called from a batch file. It's also interesting that this is not required under Windows 7.

I'm not suggesting anyone try to fix the code to run cleanly on XP--it's an obsolete O/S and the START work-around suffices.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I believe the problem occurs to most (if not all) program's written in Python.

Interestingly enough the problem only seems to occur with the Microsoft command line shell - third party ones do not suffer in the same way.

As has been mentioned, the workaround is to use the START command to run commands.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I believe the problem occurs to most (if not all) program's written in Python.

Interestingly enough the problem only seems to occur with the Microsoft command line shell - third party ones do not suffer in the same way.

As has been mentioned, the workaround is to use the START command to run commands.
It's not a problem with Windows 7 command line shell. I guess Microsoft fixed whatever was ailing it!
Advert