Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-10-2023, 05:28 PM   #1
kwik
kwik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Sony PRS-T3 from 2013

I have a Sony PRS-T3 from 2013.
10 years old

I like the included dictionaries and the MicroSD card support. I would like to buy something similar today, but Sony has exited the market. Your suggestions?
kwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 05:38 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
What are your requirements? Screen size? Dimensions? Weight? Epub support? Physical buttons for turning pages vs touchscreen only?

Very few modern ereaders come with SD card support, but many of them have 16 or 32 GB storage space, so perhaps microSD is no longer needed?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2023, 06:27 PM   #3
kwik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
What are your requirements?
* MicroSD/SD card support is a must for me.
* Good assortment of dictionaries, like the PRS-T3.
* sometimes I want a bigger screen but I will probably not carry anything larger than 8 inch, if I am being honest.

That's it.

I want a second device as close as I can get to the PRS-T3, but better if I can. Is there a website where I can search the features I want and it will give me a list of ereaders to choose from?
Old 11-10-2023, 06:47 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pocketbook Verse supports memory cards and I think Onyx Boox devices do too. Kobo and Kindle ereaders don't.
Old 11-11-2023, 01:41 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwik View Post
I have a Sony PRS-T3 from 2013.
10 years old

I like the included dictionaries and the MicroSD card support. I would like to buy something similar today
Boox Poke 5
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2023, 03:34 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Pocketbook Verse supports memory cards and I think Onyx Boox devices do too. Kobo and Kindle ereaders don't.
If you want a bigger screen, the 7.8" InkPad 3 also has a microSD slot. There is also a Pro version of the InkPad 3 that does not have a microSD slot. These have both been (or will be) replaced by the InkPad 4 (which also does not have a microSD slot).

https://www.amazon.com/Pocketbook-Gl...7-857e17e03685
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 08:30 PM   #7
kwik

Thanks all.
Old 12-12-2023, 01:19 AM   #8
HarryEngineer
Enthusiast
HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.

Device: supernote
sony hasnt fully exited the market.

the company they licenced to handle future releases of the PRS-T3 just recently released the MooInk pro2
It has the exact same casing from the previous model but much better components inside

aside from that product, i hear good things about the Kobo Elipsa 2E and the Remarkable 2, both cost £300... saving £500 from the sony versions
HarryEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 11:12 PM   #9
kwik

Thanks for the info HarryEngineer, but I have decided to wait before getting another device. So few things have changed in the past 10 years, if you aren't into note-taking and just want a smallish ereader with decent dictionaries (which nobody seems to discuss in their 'reviews').

The words above are basically code for "I already spent too much money on other things, so we can do without an upgraded PRS-T3 for now..."

Last edited by kwik; 12-18-2023 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-18-2023, 11:53 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So few things have changed in the past 10 years, if you aren't into note-taking and just want a smallish ereader with decent dictionaries (which nobody seems to discuss in their 'reviews').
Presumably because most people read in their native language.

I too read only in Estonian and English; for my native language I don't need a dictionary and for English the Oxford dictionary used by Kobo and Kindle devices is decent enough. As to the quality of their other dictionaries, I have no idea.

"Decent dictionaries" is actually pretty vague; what dictionaries exactly and for what purpose? There are quite a few people here reading in foreign languages and I'm sure they could recommend something if they knew what exactly you needed.

Last edited by Sirtel; 12-18-2023 at 11:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-20-2023, 04:32 AM   #11
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Thanks for the info HarryEngineer, but I have decided to wait before getting another device. So few things have changed in the past 10 years, if you aren't into note-taking and just want a smallish ereader with decent dictionaries (which nobody seems to discuss in their 'reviews').

The words above are basically code for "I already spent too much money on other things, so we can do without an upgraded PRS-T3 for now..."
Dictionaries for what language? Both Kobo and Kindle have great English dictionaries built-in. I'd be surprised if PocketBook didn't have that also.

If you are reading in smaller languages, or heavily inflected ones, just get any Boox device that appeals to you, install Goldendict with the dictionaries you want and call it a day.

Quote:
Presumably because most people read in their native language.

I too read only in Estonian and English; for my native language I don't need a dictionary and for English the Oxford dictionary used by Kobo and Kindle devices is decent enough. As to the quality of their other dictionaries, I have no idea.

"Decent dictionaries" is actually pretty vague; what dictionaries exactly and for what purpose? There are quite a few people here reading in foreign languages and I'm sure they could recommend something if they knew what exactly you needed.
The English dictionaries used by both Kobo and Kindle are great.

Otherwise my definition would be that it supports morphology, so that looking up a word in any of its forms would return the infinitive. "Reads" should show the entry for "to read". Not "3rd person singular present tense of 'to read'" (without any way to click on "to read" to get that definition). Or commonly for many languages "entry not found".
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 05:12 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryEngineer View Post
sony hasnt fully exited the market.

the company they licenced to handle future releases of the PRS-T3 just recently released the MooInk pro2
It has the exact same casing from the previous model but much better components inside

aside from that product, i hear good things about the Kobo Elipsa 2E and the Remarkable 2, both cost £300... saving £500 from the sony versions
Here is a video on the device.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 06:04 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is a video on the device.

The Sony 13.3″ gen3 DPT RP2. Which seems stupid compared to the Fujitsu 13.3″. It's aimed purely at corporate PDF stuff and is crippled without the Sony desktop program.

It's also a stupid video like an advert for sports car.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 07:29 AM   #14
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryEngineer View Post
At about €932,95 EUR I don't think this will be a much wanted device.

Last edited by DrChiper; 12-20-2023 at 07:39 AM.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 08:47 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
At about €932,95 EUR I don't think this will be a much wanted device.
Quote:
The only e-notes on the market using this advanced screen tech are the second-generation Fujitsu Quaderno A4 A5 and the Onyx Boox Tab X.
Both probably a better choice.

Quote:
The resolution is 1650 x 2200 with 206 PPI, and no front-light or colour temperature system exists.
The Boox is a similar price and the Fujitsu Quaderno a bit cheaper (and flush screen).
The Boox has epubs and Playstore. The Fujitsu Quaderno (like Sony DPT and reMarkable) is PDF only and no Playstore.

I decided I'm not interested in the 13″ approx models till they get to higher dpi. At least the 227 dpi of 10.3″ models (only the walled in Scribe is 300 dpi). If I was getting one, it might the Quaderno, but at likely over €850 + VAT, it's way too expensive, or the Boox (but it's even more expensive). My last laptop was 1/2 that and my 4K 23″ screen (HDR, low reflection and like paper) about 1/3rd or less.

But none of this has anything to do with the Sony PRS-T3, which was incremental on the 6″ 800 x 600 PRS-T2, which fixed bugs on the PRS-T1. That Sony Android based series was a largely pointless change from the last previous Linux PRS-x50 series. Also Sony was fixated on the bookstore side of the ereader, hence they abandoned it. The DPT series are really nothing to do with reading ebooks.

Edit:
Here the Fujitsu is 3rd, Boox take 1st & 2nd.
https://ewritable.com/what-is-the-be...e-ink-tablets/

However more than 8" is a bit pointless for epub fiction.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-20-2023 at 08:54 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote