Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-21-2023, 03:58 PM   #1
PeterPoggi
PeterPoggi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire (Kindle 6) D01E Prefix
Is my Kindle 6 a boat anchor

Apologies in advance if I post this in the wrong forum.

I just dug out my old Kindle Fire (Kindle 6) with a D01E S/N prefix. I don't even recall when I bought it... Haven't used it in years. It turns on, and all my old books and apps were there - but I noticed that Amazon seems to have completely disabled any ability to update its contents or software. Not my mailing to it, or using setup, , or anything I tried. Even the browser cannot load ANY websites. However it will still connect to my Wifi, and I can see the drive contents when connected to my Win10 laptop via USB.

So, being the forever tinkerer, I was wondering - Can I do ANYTHING with this? Just for fun? Can I turn it into a basic, updatable, Android color e-reader?

Or should I just toss it into the electronics recycle???
PeterPoggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 01:35 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's a Fire (Amazon version of Android tablet), not a Kindle. Though for a short silly while at the very start they called them Kindle Fire.

Supposedly you can add the playstore, because it actually is an Android Tablet of sorts. It must lack current HTTPS certs.

Very few Android tablets and phones get actual Android version upgrades.

See can you sideload an apk.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2023, 02:44 PM   #3
PeterPoggi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's a Fire... See can you sideload an apk.
Thank you. I can add APK files via USB to the documents folder, but when I view that same folder via the Fire's Docs menu item, it does not display them.

I can't add any apps to view native file folders. Any thoughts?
Old 10-23-2023, 08:47 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPoggi View Post
Any thoughts?
Yes, you're in the wrong forum .

Want me to move the thread there (don't create a new one yourself, please)?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 10:17 PM   #5
PeterPoggi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yes, you're in the wrong forum .

Want me to move the thread there (don't create a new one yourself, please)?
Yes, I would appreciate that. Will it send me an email as to it's new location?
Advert
Old 10-24-2023, 02:23 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPoggi View Post
Yes, I would appreciate that. Will it send me an email as to it's new location?
That's an excellent question ;D.

Which I don't have an answer to, so, I've left a redirection thread that will auto-expire in a week .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote